Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    No you don't. Heck in various European countries it's illegal to cultivate it or use it for anything but feeding livestock.

Mad props to Spain tho, probably one of the few European countries that actually cares about what the science says on the topic.

Only countries I could find where Bulgaria and N-Ireland.

Americans are so ridiculously ignorant on this subject, its almost funny.

Honestly my only issue with GMOs for now is that we've yet to put up a good controlling structure from within the scientific community itself that monitors what sort of modifications are approved for use in the field. Like the bio-ethics panel that exists these days, that I'd have to justify my research to, if I want to perform tests on animals. Gone are the days where I can perform cruel experiments without proving a strong need for them.

Similar to that, I feel there should be a panel that studies the potential effects of the GMO, not just on the consumer, but at least as important, on the environment it is placed into. A crop that contains a natural pesticide can greatly increase productivity, for example. But if it crashes the local insect population because this insecticide is found in its pollen and is fatal for any arthropod that lands on its flowers, it could spell disaster for the local population of bees, butterflies, and whatever local species dependent on insect food sources. For example.

Beyond that though, go nuts. Our stomachs don't care what DNA our food contains. As long as it doesn't encode for proteins toxic to us, it's going to have the same effect on us as the genes in a regular potato.

Honestly the thing that grinds my gears the most is people who are like: 'but we've had GMO's for centuries.'

You know it, I know it, and everyone knows it: what you're talking about is not what that term refers to. Virtually any definition you'll find makes a careful distinction between genetic modification and cross breeding.

I can't interpret this type of argument as anything other than passive aggression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Remove all the cultivated crops, refined and bred throughout the decades, centuries, even millennia, from this planet and leave only those that still grow in their original, wild form.

What's left?

Or is the argument solely based on the speed of the modification?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-02-22 at 02:53 AM.

Good GMOs are good.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Or is the argument solely based on the speed of the modification?
    The speed being a function of the manner in which it's modified, and that process is what's under contention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Corn isn't actually the healthiest grain though. We use it to quickly fatten up livestock.

Outside of Monsanto, GMO has never really been a problem.

The real reason why people are getting sick is from all the heavily processed foods that we eat. We are just not meant to consume that much sugar and salt.
    And Monsanto's issues aren't GMO related, they're business practice related.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Good GMOs are good.
    Don't forget your daily dose of mercury...Tuna on White for lunch today.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Don't forget to make sure your shiny hat stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    As someone who used to work in the produce industry, I’ve known this for a long time. The anti-GMO crowd is primarily anti because of a lack of information. Anyone who actually was informed about GMO wasn’t anti-GMO. This study won’t really changed that crowds’ minds though.
    I know people who are simply obsessed with naturalism. They believe that natural substances will always be healthy and that artificial ones will always be unhealthy. These people are quite ignorant though; they have no idea why they think the way they do, but their POV seems to be less about being uneducated and more about being stubborn beyond belief.
    Not sure if this is a joke reply or not but everything is toxic if you eat enough. Depends on what the LD is.
    Last edited by Goldielocks; 2018-02-22 at 03:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not enough to harm you, so go far it.
    Putin khuliyo

If you think GMOs are bad, you're just as bad as anti-vaxxers.

Disliking the companies developing and 'owning' the seeds? That's fine, companies are often assholes, but the product itself is one of the most benevolent and helpful things humans have ever developed.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    They're bad because of companies like Monsanto and their retarded ideas. If you have crops from Monsanto, they say you don't own the seeds, they do. You can only use them once for growing crops, not replant the new seeds. That's about the only problem with GMO, companies pulling that kind of shit.
    Except this has been true of patented plant varieties since 1930. And you can't replant hybrid seeds and get good results.

Monsanto Derangement Syndrome should be in the DSM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    And Monsanto's issues aren't GMO related, they're business practice related.
    No, they're scurrilous lies propagated be people who have decided that Monsanto is the Devil.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

How is tuna relevant to GMOs? We neither farm tuna nor have we ever genetically engineered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    They're bad because of companies like Monsanto and their retarded ideas. If you have crops from Monsanto, they say you don't own the seeds, they do. You can only use them once for growing crops, not replant the new seeds. That's about the only problem with GMO, companies pulling that kind of shit.
    Pretty much this, the way GMO is being done right now is allowing Big Corps to control the food supply. Not to mention that it's allowing the use of chemicals that harm surrounding wildlife (such as Bees)

GMO itself is not bad, but how it's being utilized is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    They may well be our future, but they fall well short of our future food requirements if predicted population growth is accurate. Modern GMO crops give an average increased yield of 15% over “traditional” cultivars, but the worlds population is set to increase by 55% by the end of the century.
    We're currently able to produce enough food in the USA alone to feed the current global population and then some. The problem is how much food ends up going to waste, mis-distributed and how much corn we're growing that's only being grown to feed livestock.

GMO is the future, but it's less of the future than re-thinking and re-organizing how we produce our food. Part of this will have to be taking away the rights to grow food for livestock, which is obviously a kind of anti-capitalist thing. There'll be problems. but we'll see how it plays out.

Everything is modified over time, with or without humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    It's not enough to harm you, so go far it.

That's what they say about medical radiation too, until you get cancer 13 years later.

Sourcewatch; Monsanto
    I'll stick to my organic stuff as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    We're currently able to produce enough food in the USA alone to feed the current global population and then some. The problem is how much food ends up going to waste, mis-distributed and how much corn we're growing that's only being grown to feed livestock.

GMO is the future, but it's less of the future than re-thinking and re-organizing how we produce our food. Part of this will have to be taking away the rights to grow food for livestock, which is obviously a kind of anti-capitalist thing. There'll be problems. but we'll see how it plays out.
    I think cultured meat on a industrial scale will be the only viable solution to having meat without obliterating our resources and the ecosystems of the world.