Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Make American Hate Again - By the numbers.

Just saw this report out by the SPLC. An interesting read.

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2018/...ck-nationalist

Some of the interesting parts-

The SPLC’s Year in Hate and Extremism report identifies 954 hate groups – an increase of 4 percent from 2016. The rise was driven in part by a backlash from the Nation of Islam and other fringe black nationalist groups that see Trump as an avatar of the rising white supremacist movement, a powerful reassertion of the same centuries-old racism that has always fueled their desire to break away from white America.
    Not surprisingly, the ranks of black nationalist hate groups – groups that have always been a reaction to white racism – expanded to 233 chapters in 2017, from 193 the previous year.
    Even with the growth, black nationalist groups lagged far behind the more than 600 hate groups that adhere to some form of white supremacist ideology – and they have virtually no supporters or influence in mainstream politics, much less in the White House.
    Within the white supremacist movement, neo-Nazi groups saw the greatest growth – from 99 groups to 121. Anti-Muslim groups rose for a third straight year. They increased from 101 chapters to 114 in 2017 – growth that comes after the groups tripled in number a year earlier.
    Ku Klux Klan groups, meanwhile, fell from 130 groups to 72. The decline is a clear indication that the new generation of white suprem*acists is rejecting the Klan’s hoods and robes for the hipper image of the more loosely organized alt-right movement.
    The overall number of hate groups likely understates the real level of hate in America, because a growing number of extremists, particularly those who identify with the alt-right, operate mainly online and may not be formally affiliated with a hate group.
    A separate SPLC investigation, released earlier this month, found that 43 people were killed and 67 wounded by young men associated with the alt-right over the past four years. Seventeen of the deaths came in 2017.
    Also, for the first time, the SPLC added two male supremacy groups to the hate group list: A Voice for Men, based in Houston, and Return of Kings, based in Washington, D.C. The vilification of women by these groups makes them no different than other groups that demean entire populations, such as the LGBT community, Muslims or Jews, based on their inherent characteristics.
    Aside from hate groups, the SPLC identified 689 active antigovernment groups that comprised the “Patriot” movement in 2017, up from 623. Of these, 273 were armed militias.

Historically, these groups rise during Democratic presidencies out of fear of gun control measures and federal law enforcement action against them. They typically decline under GOP presidencies. This has not been the case under Trump, whose radical views and bigotry may be energizing them in the same way he has invigorated hate groups.
    Clearly this proves Obama was trying to divide the nation and Trump is simply unifying us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    Just saw this report out by the SPLC. An interesting read.

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2018/...ck-nationalist

Some of the interesting parts-

Clearly this proves Obama was trying to divide the nation and Trump is simply unifying us.
    I am glad they are keeping close tabs with these groups, it makes sense that the new Administration and republican party are emboldening white supremacist, anti-Muslim, Men's rights groups, and anti-government militias. This is why you see conservatives on this site become more emboldened and less afraid to spout their veiled supremacist language.

Someone needs to keep an eye on it because the president isn't going to watch his very fine people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    When the "leader" of the country is a vulgar bully, who attacks everyone but other dictators, it is not surprising that people that would normally hide their hatred would be more open about it now.
    You know what's really scary? The degree that this mirrors the rise of Hitler in the mid 1930's. It's pretty bad that we've gotten to the point where you can openly compare the current situation to Hitler without automatically Godwinning a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yeah, Trump is definity closer to "Hitler" than our past presidents... though only in that he is highly authoritarian, and there was of course this:

Donald Trump 'kept book of Adolf Hitler's speeches in his bedside cabinet'
    In a 1990 interview, the billionaire businessman admitted to owning Nazi leader's 'Mein Kampf' but said he had would never read speeches
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7639041.html

- - - Updated - - -

Low empathy is another issue:

This photo of Trump’s notes captures his empathy deficit better than anything
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.449d2cb03655
    That one is behind a paywall for most. Here, have another link with less paywall, more scrolling down to the pic:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-2...otings/9473282

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah....anyone who is paying attention has seen the rise of hate crimes against minorities since Trump started campaigning. Between his dog whistles and, at times, outright bigotry, it's been a breeding ground for extremists to feel empowered.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Because the SPLC is a credible organization that should be taken seriously by individuals with any shred of dignity, self-respect, or intelligence.

Oh, wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    Because the SPLC is a credible organization that should be taken seriously by individuals with any shred of dignity, self-respect, or intelligence.

Oh, wait.
    Why shouldn't it, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Oh, wait.
    Do you have a better source to offer on hate groups? I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Do you have a better source to offer on hate groups? I'd love to see it.
    Membership cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why shouldn't it, exactly?
    Here you go. Here's just one example.
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

So, do you have a better source for such information? I'm all for getting as much information as possible.

If you are going to complain about a source, then want to provide your own VERY shaky source to condemn them... then you aren't really making your case.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.splcenter.org/news/2016/...k-post-article

We asked in the survey whether educators had “heard derogatory language or slurs about white students” because we were concerned about all students. About 20 percent of the respondents answered affirmatively to the question – a statistic that we readily shared with the Post reporter. We included in our report a number of comments from educators who answered the survey question affirmatively. Our analysis of the comments showed that the language in question almost never was actually directed at white students; more often it was expressed as disappointment and frustration with white people in general for having voted for Donald Trump. Out of approximately 10,000 comments in which educators described specific incidents at school, only 103 – or about 1 percent – involved statements that could be interpreted as anti-white. Of those, fewer than five were directed at white students.
    Hm, an explanation of methodology to address criticism? Seems like something a reasonable organization might do.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The SPLC is not a neutral source. How many times must this be pointed out?

I wonder how many churches made the list of hate groups this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Depends how many continue to preach an anti-LGBT agenda.

I'd say they get what they deserve, but they haven't had their tax-exempt status revoked yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complaining about unreliable sources, and linking to the NY Post is generally considered a fatal dose of irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Dunno, how many churches decided to join Westboro in preaching hatred?

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Dunno, how many churches decided to join Westboro in preaching hatred?
    It's just good Christian morals to push discrimination and help exacerbate the youth homeless problem by kicking out LGBT kids and then lobbying that foster care groups can discriminate. That way you can keep condemning them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    It's just good Christian morals to push discrimination and help exacerbate the youth homeless problem by kicking out LGBT kids and then lobbying that foster care groups can discriminate. That way you can keep condemning them.
    Anecdote time!

One of the more depressing aspects of living in a city with a prolific LGBTQ community is that you meet a lot of people from the South and the Midwest who are estranged from their families, sometimes even kicked out in their teens. Sadder still is that more than a few that I've known have fallen into substance abuse as a coping mechanism.