Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Olympics: After loss to USA, Candadian yanks medal off her neck

Source

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — The disappointment showed on their faces and for Canadian defenseman Jocelyne Larocque there was no celebration in winning the silver medal.

After the United States won a thrilling shootout for its first Olympic gold in two decades, the medal ceremony took place. Larocque had the reaction that was most noteworthy — yanking off the silver immediately after it was placed around her neck.

It’s not like Larocque doesn’t have a gold. She was part of Canada’s winning team in 2014.

Sometimes emotions take over in the heat of the moment.
    I can understand being upset over a loss but she had time enough to gather herself before the ceremony. She showed poor sportsmanship, embarrassed her country and she should be punished, perhaps take her medal away from her.

ROFL "yanked" jesus christ people are making clickbaits out of everything.

SHE SOFTLY TOOK IT OFF, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Punished? Shove you own head down a toilet man, she can do what she wants, there have been several worst cases of bad sportsmanship every fucking week, go watch some sports lol, this is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I can understand being upset over a loss but she had time enough to gather herself before the ceremony. She showed poor sportsmanship, embarrassed her country and she should be punished, perhaps take her medal away from her.
    I can't see taking the medal away from her, but it was pretty tacky on her part.

Is what it is. She was just upset. A decision she will have to live with and most likely will regret as time goes on I would imagine. Does she deserve punishment? No...

Peace

she should be punished, perhaps take her medal away from her.
    Have you ever been in the heat of the moment? To loss something you have trained so hard for? An apology maybe but just a small statement. Let her actions be here own. Of course she was frustrated and we all regret our actions some times when we do. Move on.

Yeh, wasn't exactly yanked off her neck. It's a shame though as she should still be proud to be the second best team at the Olympics. Not something to be disappointed about.

Yeah, losing to an US athlete is truly embarrassing. After all they're #24 (of 26) in per capita medals!

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor sportsmanship usually reflects on immaturity in the person involved.
    Unfortunately, at this stage, it reflects poorly on your country as well.

She won't have her medal stripped, but she may wind-up on the outs with their Olympic team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah, losing to an US athlete is truly embarrassing. After all they're #24 (of 26) in per capita medals!
    That's what all the losers tell themselves
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Deleted
    She took it off. No yanking. And God forbid people show emotion

You're quite emotional about wanting to punish her for not being content with second place, for wanting to be better. Odd. Maybe you settle for second place, but clearly she doesn't and that's her right. No need for punishment and definitely not something as silly as taking away her medal.

It was poor sportsmen ship and not very strongly aligned with the Olympic spirit. But she is a competitor and as we know from watching ESPN for just 10 minutes every morning very competitive people say and do awful things a lot. They are very emotional people and it gives them fuel for the fire. But sure, when you are at something like the Olympics you need to sometimes chill out and accept it when on that stage. Then when you step off the ice you tell the newspapers going back to your homeland that you are embarrassed and this won't be happening again. That the silver is motivation to work harder next time for it to never happen again.

So poor tastes yes, but at the same time I understand.

But we also have to understand that since she is from Canada defenders will be out in force here. If an American had done the same thing we would be talking about this is happening because to many cheeseburgers and not enough work on the slap shot. But thats fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Holycloud View Post
    Have you ever been in the heat of the moment? To loss something you have trained so hard for? An apology maybe but just a small statement. Let her actions be here own. Of course she was frustrated and we all regret our actions some times when we do. Move on.
    Actually I have, my basketball team came in second in a tournament, I didn't act like a child when we lost. Although when we won state the same team we lost to poured water on our clothes in the locker room....

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    ROFL "yanked" jesus christ people are making clickbaits out of everything.

SHE SOFTLY TOOK IT OFF, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Punished? Shove you own head down a toilet man, she can do what she wants, there have been several worst cases of bad sportsmanship every fucking week, go watch some sports lol, this is nothing.
    Yanked it off. Took it off. What difference does it make? Bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship. It goes against the very principles of the Olympic Games.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    She took it off. No yanking. And God forbid people show emotion

You're quite emotional about wanting to punish her for not being content with second place, for wanting to be better. Odd. Maybe you settle for second place, but clearly she doesn't and that's her right. No need for punishment and definitely not something as silly as taking away her medal.
    Having an opinion is emotional? LOL OK

Actually I have, my basketball team came in second in a tournament, I didn't act like a child when we lost. Although when we won state the same team we lost to poured water on our clothes in the locker room....
    That wasn't water.

Get it together, Canada. We don't even care about hockey or Moose Pucks or whatever that game is called.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Go Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    That wasn't water.
    So that's why it smelled of Asparagus...

I'd be upset too if a gold medal came down to a idiotic shootout. What a stupid way to decide a championship in a TEAM sport. Rock, paper, scissors is about as relevant in deciding a winner. Why they don't play with NHL playoff continuous overtime rules is beyond stupid.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

Having an opinion is emotional? LOL OK
    People often form opinions based on emotions - or actions for that matter as well! Different people handle situations differently. People will forget about this in less then 24 hours. Here's to another epic game/rematch in 2022 I hope!

Gratz on winning that tournament and sorry about your cloths!

"Yanked" ? I just watched the clip... people seriously need to learn their definitions, instead of using words to sensational what actually happened...