Server player cap

I think the player cap should be higher than usual as it provides more people to play with, allowing for more interesting things.

Interesting things such as skyrocketed prices on consumables from it's rarity and as well as the inevitable exponential inflation thanks to more people generating gold from thin air.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Interesting things such as skyrocketed prices on consumables from it's rarity and as well as the inevitable exponential inflation thanks to more people generating gold from thin air.
    Which can be "sort-of" handled by introducing dynamic respawn rates which is how N*stalrius handled it and it worked pretty damn well honestly.

And yea, on a personal note I am also for higher server-caps. 8-10k players is amazing. More than that and it starts to feel crowded. I believe vanilla had caps around 2-5kish.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the first time I really face a fork in the road. I always labeled myself as a "purist" who want absolutely no changes.

But, since I fear that there will be so many "ok gonna try this game... meh it wasn't really for me" that take a lot of the player slots from the people who go hardcore for these servers, and make classic their main game so to speak. If the "classic tryhards" population gets reduced due to many "casuals" then it might get problematic for us tryhards to find people and to build guilds etc.

Therefore, I am not directly opposed to the idea of making the servers bigger. I mean, after all, it will not really affect anything ingame. It's a change that we won't really notice. Still not sure how I feel about this though.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

When the server is busy, the server feels alive, which is all part of the classic experience. As long as spawn rates are relatively comparable with player numbers so prices stay within acceptable boundaries then it's all good to me

And rebalance all the spawn rates and drop chances everywhere? Vanilla was designed around a certain cap, just keep it the same.

If the caps are higher then it's no longer vanilla. If you want higher caps there's always Legion.

Playing on nost with 10k players was quite the experience. Also higher cap was active 24/7, always people around. It was better than vanilla for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Which can be "sort-of" handled by introducing dynamic respawn rates which is how N*stalrius handled it and it worked pretty damn well honestly.

And yea, on a personal note I am also for higher server-caps. 8-10k players is amazing. More than that and it starts to feel crowded. I believe vanilla had caps around 2-5kish.
    Dynamic respawn rates makes the gold inflation problem bigger.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    This is the first time I really face a fork in the road. I always labeled myself as a "purist" who want absolutely no changes.

But, since I fear that there will be so many "ok gonna try this game... meh it wasn't really for me" that take a lot of the player slots from the people who go hardcore for these servers, and make classic their main game so to speak. If the "classic tryhards" population gets reduced due to many "casuals" then it might get problematic for us tryhards to find people and to build guilds etc.

Therefore, I am not directly opposed to the idea of making the servers bigger. I mean, after all, it will not really affect anything ingame. It's a change that we won't really notice. Still not sure how I feel about this though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    And rebalance all the spawn rates and drop chances everywhere? Vanilla was designed around a certain cap, just keep it the same.

If the caps are higher then it's no longer vanilla. If you want higher caps there's always Legion.
    There's nothing un-pure about wanting higher pop-caps for servers. The main reason for the low caps back then was hardware, software and bandwidth limitations. The size of the world can easily support more than the old vanilla-caps in terms of mob and resource-spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Dynamic respawn rates makes the gold inflation problem bigger.
    Yea it does indeed, which is why I said "Sort-of"
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Deleted
    Don't think upper limit will be an issue on a niche product

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Don't think upper limit will be an issue on a niche product
    It will be a niche product, sure but probably a very popular one. It depends how many servers they put up I guess.

There's nothing un-pure about wanting higher pop-caps for servers. The main reason for the low caps back then was hardware, software and bandwidth limitations. The size of the world can easily support more than the old vanilla-caps in terms of mob and resource-spawns.
    It still changes the experience dramatically and requires a lot of work. I'd rather they don't change anything, if they open the flood gates who knows what else they'll change. Like I said if you want bigger servers you can always play Legion for BfA.

Deleted
    It will be a niche product, sure but probably a very popular one. It depends how many servers they put up I guess.
    Niche != popular but popular also.!= better or worse.

I'm just saying let's not forget the vanilla fans are a small subset of the wow community and the wow community might be large subset of the mmo community but the mmo community is a tiny tiny fraction of the gaming community. Unlike 2004-2006 when mmos were the hot shit. We are only the smallest of groups nowadays. The majority are into mobas and shooters.

Mmos always have a big issue with time consumption. It's takes alot of time to do anything of merit and that kind of there draw too the people who play mmos are usually there for at least one of 3 things.

1.endless story and updates
    2.the glow of archiving something after working for it
    3. The community and social aspect

Classic is gonna lack the first of those points because it's content does have an end. But that aside mmo's like having a monopoly on you're time less so now but definitely in the vanilla day's and this leaves little time for other games that are atm more popular with the kids and the adults who have less time in an increasingly faster paced world.

One only has to point to the market of failed wow clone mmo's to see mmo's aunt the money cow's they once were or that many people are willing to ditch there progress on there mmo of choice to go somewhere new.

Not to mention this small subcomunity of prospective vanilla consumers is split down the middle on what they want. Half of the people here are not gonna get the vanilla they wanted.

But I stand to be corrected if it proves other wise I just don't think there will be the demand after the first couple of months for anything more than a handful of server's and pop cap won't be the issue

- - - Updated - - -

I think you put to much credit into how much thought went into the design. The vanilla wow dev team had nearly 0 experience making an mmo and most of the shit is arbitrary hardware limitations and accident.

Let's take dungeon design for instance. It's based on dnd and classic old fashioned rpg dungeon design and works fine for those formats because you do it once and you get all the excitement of discovery it's ment to deliver, But those long winding mazes quickly go form amazing discovery to tedious grinds on your 10th 20th 30th run through for that one mount or dungeon set pice you need.

Hence why in tbc and future expansions 5man dungeons we're shortened to a size less irritating to farm.

People forget wow is a mmorpg not an rpg. You don't have to do the same thing over and over and over in a rpg that you do in an mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    I think you put to much credit into how much thought went into the design. The vanilla wow dev team had nearly 0 experience making an mmo and most of the shit is arbitrary hardware limitations and accident.

Let's take dungeon design for instance. It's based on dnd and classic old fashioned rpg dungeon design and works fine for those formats because you do it once and you get all the excitement of discovery it's ment to deliver, But those long winding mazes quickly go form amazing discovery to tedious grinds on your 10th 20th 30th run through for that one mount or dungeon set pice you need.

Hence why in tbc and future expansions 5man dungeons we're shortened to a size less irritating to farm.

People forget wow is a mmorpg not an rpg. You don't have to do the same thing over and over and over in a rpg that you do in an mmo
    It doesn't matter. If you change it then it will no longer be vanilla. Vanilla is what we wanted and vanilla is what we should be getting.

This will be a problem at FIRST. Eventually it will simmer down. I hope they just increase the cap and let them be big at first. Then when the hype, nostalgia, and troll wave crashes and rolls back out to sea the player base that remains and wants classic wont be carved up on a bunch of servers.

I mean I am sure they will be adding color blind mode into the game too. This is in fact a change. I am against changes. But some changes are inevitable. As long as they don't fuck with game play I am fine with it for the MOST part.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2018-02-23 at 05:00 PM.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter. If you change it then it will no longer be vanilla. Vanilla is what we wanted and vanilla is what we should be getting.
    But vanilla dosent exist. You can't turn back time there will be differences all this will be is like any private server just with the official label slapped on it.

So does it really matter if they make the servers better or fox some of the irritating bugs and exploits and all the crap that pissed me off back then?

It's a dead game there necroing for a small few to prove a point so who cares what they change in it really.

Deleted
    You'll be lucky to have enough people to make even one server feel crowded after the big masses have tried it for a week and realized what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    When the server is busy, the server feels alive, which is all part of the classic experience. As long as spawn rates are relatively comparable with player numbers so prices stay within acceptable boundaries then it's all good to me
    Exactly how I feel. I played on populated severs in Vanilla on my mains and had a blast. I had some alts on newer servers after the surge faded and the population dwindled down they became boring. A healthy population means a busier AH, more world PvP and more groups for dungeons/quests.