Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    For example: The whole sequence where they went down to the planet to find a hacker was obviously put in the movie only so that the token black guy and token asian had something to do in the movie. A sequence which is pretty much everyone agree is the weakest part of the movie.
    Don't be silly, the B-plot with the hacker was put in for additional world building and so the film would be more than 1 hour long. Please explain how the poor pacing and nonsense plot is because it featured non-white actors.

I could write an essay on the whole Rey being a Mary Sue thing but it's been done to death. You know because WAMAN are stong!
    Yes, Rey is a Mary Sue because it is totally unrealistic for a mystical space ninja to also be a woman

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    With regard to video games and their content? Yeah...

Efforts to censor games have been struck down in the courts many times, the people who make them and their content are protected from the government, at least in the west.

They aren't protected from having their careers ruined unless they bend to the SJW mob's will, however.

Trump and Republicans could pass a law tomorrow banning all violent video games and it would be struck down in the courts before it could even be implemented.

Conversely someone like Sarkeesian can cherry pick things from a game and then misconstrue/misrepresent/if not outright lie about the game to paint the developer as a bunch of sexist/racist bigots and the game as a misogyny simulator in the press, harming their brand. And she can do it with impunity because anyone who criticizes her is likewise accused of being a sexist/racist bigot by the SJW mob. And those developers can hardly take her to court to protect their interests because it would make them look even worse; not to mention they probably can't even prove defamation since Sarkeesian has the perfect defense for the "making knowingly false damaging statements" of defamation in that she doesn't even fucking play the games she lies about, so how could she possibly make knowingly false statements about them.
    So Trump can pass a law affecting all video games, but Anita Sarkeesian can have an opinion.

I can see how you care way more about the latter.

Oh wait no, that makes no fucking sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Probably because we recognize Trump’s impotency in the matter, especially with first amendment protections. SJW driven censorship goes directly for companies and often gets disregarded due to “lol companies aren’t the government, they can’t censor things”
    So basically, "big government is nothing to worry about, it's corporations that should worry us"?

You leftie pinko commie lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yes, Rey is a Mary Sue because it is totally unrealistic for a mystical space ninja to also be a woman
    Gender related topics or not, Rey IS a Mary Sue, and a really obvious one at that. Hell Luke himself was a Gary Stu during Ep4, luckily he got his ass handed to him in Empire. Rey is so badly overpowered so far that it defeats any kind of dramatic narrative.

Getting on the topic of women in media, I'm not sure if Rey is a Mary Sue because "omg we need strong womenz" or just because she's been awfully written, but I fear the first is the reason. If that was the case, then I don't like it, at all.
    I'm all for strong, well written female characters, leads and non leads, but please don't make a Mary Sue just for the sake of feminism, it's counterproductive. I’d rather have a woman lead which gets put down at every turn and bleeds for half the story and then lifts herself up on her own valor to come out on top at the end. THAT is an empowering character that shows you can be the best if you put your mind into something, not someone who wins by default ‘cause (s)he’s the lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    For example: The whole sequence where they went down to the planet to find a hacker was obviously put in the movie only so that the token black guy and token asian had something to do in the movie. A sequence which is pretty much everyone agree is the weakest part of the movie.

I could write an essay on the whole Rey being a Mary Sue thing but it's been done to death. You know because WAMAN are stong!

Now i've demonstrated it as per your request though i realize that nothing short of a confession from Rian johnssson or the queen b*tch herself would satisfy you so it's just wasted time on my part.
    You write that essay. It'll be wrong, but go ahead and write it. You can be preoccupied with that and spare us more of your caustic privileged opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Gender related topics or not, Rey IS a Mary Sue, and a really obvious one at that. Hell Luke himself was a Gary Stu during Ep4, luckily he got his ass handed to him in Empire. Rey is so badly overpowered so far that it defeats any kind of dramatic narrative.

Getting on the topic of women in media, I'm not sure if Rey is a Mary Sue because "omg we need strong womenz" or just because she's been awfully written, but I fear the first is the reason. If that was the case, then I don't like it, at all.
    I'm all for strong, well written female characters, leads and non leads, but please don't make a Mary Sue just for the sake of feminism, it's counterproductive. I’d rather have a woman lead which gets put down at every turn and bleeds for half the story and then lifts herself up on her own valor to come out on top at the end. THAT is an empowering character that shows you can be the best if you put your mind into something, not someone who wins by default ‘cause (s)he’s the lead.
    I think the term "Mary Sue" has lost all actual meaning at this point, because she really just is not.

If there needs to be a debate about Rey being a Mary Sue or not, can we a)go read the other threads in the movie forum first and b)spin it off into a conversation there if you absolutely feel it necessary to drag this one through the muck again?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Probably cause gamergate was dead in 2016.
    It was still kicking and screaming as of last year, but I havent seen much about it since like, November of last year.

A problem why exactly?
    Conflict of interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Probably cause gamergate was dead in 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    It was still kicking and screaming as of last year, but I havent seen much about it since like, November of last year.
    They call themselves alt Right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen anything about them since like mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    You realise how ridiculous it is to apply fan-fiction criticisms to a setting where the main characters are empowered by a maybe-sentient all encompassing magical energy? Also, did you miss the part in Last Jedi where Ren was shown to be a clearly superior fighter to Rey, handling 3 or 4 of the Praetorians whilst Rey struggled with just a couple?

10+ Year Old Account
    You realise how ridiculous it is to apply fan-fiction criticisms to a setting where the main characters are empowered by a maybe-sentient all encompassing magical energy? Also, did you miss the part in Last Jedi where Ren was shown to be a clearly superior fighter to Rey, handling 3 or 4 of the Praetorians whilst Rey struggled with just a couple?
    Mary Sue is an inherently gender loaded term, so it's unsurprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I haven't seen anything about them since like mid 2015
    I was mostly going by the gamergate thread on these forums and Kotaku In Action(I think that was the subreddit for gamergate). Our forum thread has died, but Kotaku in Action is still going strong, but they just bitch about typical "SJW" shit non-stop these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Mary Sue is an inherently gender loaded term, so it's unsurprising.
    Apparently only men can be stupid strong for no reason, even in the realms of magic. I mean fuck, Luke was a Mary Sue in the same ways people bitch about Ren, but once you bring that up the fangirls go crazy and say you are wrong for the same things they are chiding Ren for. I really feel like there is a huge double standard, or people don't pay attention to the damn movies apart from the explosions and glowy lights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently only men can be stupid strong for no reason, even in the realms of magic. I mean fuck, Luke was a Mary Sue in the same ways people bitch about Ren, but once you bring that up the fangirls go crazy and say you are wrong for the same things they are chiding Ren for. I really feel like there is a huge double standard, or people don't pay attention to the damn movies apart from the explosions and glowy lights.
    There is a huge double standard, and also a severe misunderstanding; Mary Sues are not a function of character, they're a function of storytelling. Which isn't present in the Star Wars universe because the things that the protagonists do are entirely within the logic established by the setting.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was mostly going by the gamergate thread on these forums and Kotaku In Action(I think that was the subreddit for gamergate). Our forum thread has died, but Kotaku in Action is still going strong, but they just bitch about typical "SJW" shit non-stop these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Well i dunno, i don't follow.

Anyway, there is a male equivalent called gary stue. Shiro from fate is a good example.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2018-03-21 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people would stop replying to threads about her she would slip into obscurity. She only gets invited to things because she generates PR.

She was becoming less and less talked about for a while there, it would not surprise me if OP is Anita trying to drum up waning attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i dunno, i don't follow.

Anyway, there is a male equivalent called gary sue. Shiro from fate is a good example.
    Which means fuck all because the concept of a self-insert or powerful character being bad is universally applied more to female protagonists than male ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    If people would stop replying to threads about her she would slip into obscurity. She only gets invited to things because she generates PR.

She was becoming less and less talked about for a while there, it would not surprise me if OP is Anita trying to drum up waning attention.
    The whole reason this thread exists and Bioware employees complained about her being invited (even if almost all of them are SJWs who agree with her) is because she generates negative PR.

Those employees are cognizant of the fact that Sarkeesian is despised by many among the gaming community... They are also cognizant of the fact that unless Anthem is an overwhelming success, Bioware is the next EA studio to be shut down.

They were pissed off that their bosses just had to virtue signal by inviting Sarkeesian and it is potentially going to cost them their jobs if backlash from her involvement in the game causes it to sell less and EA closes Bioware.

- - - Updated - - -

Think of it like this. People defend Luke like they defend Anakin like they defend Rey and Ren. Those are the heroes of the movies they like.

Anakin was a spoiled brat, a creepy stalker and a psycho.
    Luke was a whiny, reckless child that gets people in trouble and has to be rescued for it.
    And Rey is too good at everything she does for the excuse not to be that she's a Darth Revan type with an amnesia hiding the source of power. (Granted, I'll spread the too competent thing around for the new trilogy. So much convenient knowledge)

Please remember there are people for each trilogy that calls theirs flawless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The whole reason this thread exists and Bioware employees complained about her being invited (even if almost all of them are SJWs who agree with her) is because she generates negative PR.

Those employees are cognizant of the fact that Sarkeesian is despised by many among the gaming community... They are also cognizant of the fact that unless Anthem is an overwhelming success, Bioware is the next EA studio to be shut down.

They were pissed off that their bosses just had to virtue signal by inviting Sarkeesian and it is potentially going to cost them their jobs if backlash from her involvement in the game causes it to sell less and EA closes Bioware.
    "Any PR is good PR" is a weird staple of current video game studios and I find it fascinating they seem to double down on it as they slide into the abyss, like Bioware, even if the actual development teams disagree or aren't even involved in it.

Did you hear about the Subnautica thing? The character in the DLC/expansion is going to be female. Complete non-issue. Nobody cares.

Of course, posting about it several times on Twitter as if it was a big deal and saying stuff like "I regret having a male character at all - if you don't like it too bad!" stirs up completely meaningless drizzle about nothing. Nobody gives a crap but when you phrase stuff like that you're intentionally baiting. Why?

Cause PR. People who had otherwise never heard of Subnautica now do because the lead at Unknown Worlds decided to make a completely forgettable design decision (IE having a female video game character as if that boat hadn't sailed eons ago) and blow it up on social media. I even saw it come up on my newsfeed on Facebook from someone who doesn't game (because of course everyone has to weigh in on it).

It's like if Nintendo was releasing another Metroid game and wrote "We will not budge: Samus is remaining female - and anyone who doesn't like it can go to hell". Meanwhile, virtually nobody was complaining about Samus being female. Suddenly you have VG blogs and articles talking about how Nintendo makes a brave and progressive move by refusing to cave to the alt-right and toxic gamers, all the while there was never any issue to begin with.

But, you can bet the new Metroid game and this drama would be shared across facebook and twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    "Any PR is good PR" is a weird staple of current video game studios and I find it fascinating they seem to double down on it as they slide into the abyss, like Bioware, even if the actual development teams disagree or aren't even involved in it.

Did you hear about the Subnautica thing? The character in the DLC/expansion is going to be female. Complete non-issue. Nobody cares.

Of course, posting about it several times on Twitter as if it was a big deal and saying stuff like "I regret having a male character at all - if you don't like it too bad!" stirs up completely meaningless drizzle about nothing. Nobody gives a crap but when you phrase stuff like that you're intentionally baiting. Why?

Cause PR. People who had otherwise never heard of Subnautica now do because the lead at Unknown Worlds decided to make a completely forgettable design decision (IE having a female video game character as if that boat hadn't sailed eons ago) and blow it up on social media. I even saw it come up on my newsfeed on Facebook from someone who doesn't game (because of course everyone has to weigh in on it).

It's like if Nintendo was releasing another Metroid game and wrote "We will not budge: Samus is remaining female - and anyone who doesn't like it can go to hell". Meanwhile, virtually nobody was complaining about Samus being female. Suddenly you have VG blogs and articles talking about how Nintendo makes a brave and progressive move by refusing to cave to the alt-right and toxic gamers, all the while there was never any issue to begin with.

But, you can bet the new Metroid game and this drama would be shared across facebook and twitter.
    I think we can lay part of the blame at the feet of reactions to film and tv. Female lead projects weren't exactly a new thing in Hollywood, but it's framed currently as if some prohibition against movies with female leads just ended.

As you said, calling a nothing thing a brave or bold move suddenly makes it far more important than it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    more of your caustic privileged opinions.
    ROFLMAO!

*wipes tears*

ohh you people crack me up with your antics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    gender loaded
    hahaha oh you people......