Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Post God will exist and he will be a game designer

Correct me if there is a flaw in my logic but let's assume that in the future :

-Realistic VR is a thing
    -Brain uploading is a thing
    -People can chose to permanently remove themselves from physical reality and live in cyberspace in MMOs worlds.

Doing so, they would put themselves directly under the control of whoever is in charge of said system.

Virtual universes having no real limits that person has now godlike status and gets to decide absolutely everything from the gravitational constant to the gender of frogs.
    You may have signed up for a life in VR Paradise Island but there is nothing preventing the person in charge of your matrix to unleash floods and rivers of blood upon your world. And having uploaded yourself there's nothing you can do unless other "gods" wage a war in Heaven to liberate you.

We could call those well-intentioned gods "judges" and the heaven would be the real-world courtroom which is now located on a different dimension as far as you're concerned.

So, by these criterias is it fair to say that our advance in technology will make the concept of god a very real possibility ?

Deleted
    We all know where this is going!

Deleted
    worst game ever made:real life nobody would buy this game if a company would make a game this lame

Nah, "God" (if there ever is one) will be a Quantum Computer AI, essentially a computer so powerful it will be capable of manipulating what we understand as reality at will.

Elon Musk called, he wants the philosophical quandary he stole from Mike Bostrom back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Elon Musk called, he wants the philosophical quandary he stole from Mike Bostrom back.
    Didn't he said we were already living under a simulation ? Didn't say much about gods if i recall.

I'm not a fan of people preventing their workers to unionize anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Nah, "God" (if there ever is one) will be a Quantum Computer AI, essentially a computer so powerful it will be capable of manipulating what we understand as reality at will.
    In terms of the Catholic Trinity the computer would be the ”Holy Spirit," the "Father" would be the person who designs the virtual world and the "Son" would be his in-game avatar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    Didn't he said we were already living under a simulation ? Didn't say much about gods if i recall.

I'm not a fan of people preventing their workers to unionize anyways
    He said that if such a thing were possible there would be more than one of these virtual universe existing in the actual universe, so the odds would be in favour of us residing in a virtual one.

If you accept that creating a digital world populated by AI with intelligence much like our own is possible and that intelligent life exists out there with the means to do so, then it becomes very likely that we're already in a simulation. If you accept that infinite universes exist it's close to a mathematical certainty that we're already in one.

Simply due to the fact that single universe would contain several pocket artificial universes within it likely because a society capable of doing it once would do so more than once, making it more likely that your life is in the simulation and not outside it.

In this sense, god already exists and he's your programmer.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    So... the cylons are coming?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

We are living in a simulation now, imagine what SimCity will be like a 100 or 2000 years from now, we are living in that simulation.

How do you know? For experiments scientists will run millions or even trillions of simulated world instances and now here's where it gets interesting, each of those simulated worlds will develop their own simulations and run millions or trillions of them so the odds are much better of you living in a simulation that you living in the real world.

Now what about the owners of our simulation? Will they finish their experiment some day and turn our simulation off? Will we even have a millisecond to realize what's going on?

(I see Ryme beat me to it)

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We are living in a simulation now, imagine what SimCity will be like a 100 or 2000 years from now, we are living in that simulation.

How do you know? For experiments scientists will run millions or even trillions of simulated world instances and now here's where it gets interesting, each of those simulated worlds will develop their own simulations and run millions or trillions of them so the odds are much better of you living in a simulation that you living in the real world.

Now what about the owners of our simulation? Will they finish their experiment some day and turn our simulation off? Will we even have a millisecond to realize what's going on?

(I see Ryme beat me to it)
    Such instances are even more likely to exist in a computer orbiting a black hole, in the last dregs of a dying universe. Since we can't know the answer there is no point thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by superblink View Post
    worst game ever made:real life nobody would buy this game if a company would make a game this lame
    Now you know why Blizzard pulled the plug on Titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

-Realistic VR is a thing
    -People can chose to permanently remove themselves from physical reality and live in cyberspace in MMOs worlds.

in Sword Art Online (anime about a fictional game with same name) that is the plot, but it is involuntary: the beta testers are caught within unless they solve the game and if the char dies, the neuronal device they use kills them in real life too.

the game designer is indeed their god in the scenario, but the rules are still fair in the sense the rules will not be changed just because the designer wants a certain char dead.

Quote Originally Posted by superblink View Post
    The moment you can save & load in the game is the moment it would actually get interesting. Suddenly you could try things that otherwise you wouldn't, I could see a market for that - a large one at that.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The moment you can save & load in the game is the moment it would actually get interesting. Suddenly you could try things that otherwise you wouldn't, I could see a market for that - a large one at that.
    no, save and reload would not be possible, because that would nullify everybody else's actions and decisions. unless the game is total invidual and not a single other human is involved in its actions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Vr is stupid. I'd rather we get ar headsets to replace smart phones

Just remember if your view is that there is a "god" of some kind, you have to logically concede to an infinite regression of creators or you are insane by definition.

-Realistic VR is a thing

Doing so, they would put themselves directly under the control of whoever is in charge of said system.

Virtual universes having no real limits that person has now godlike status and gets to decide absolutely everything from the gravitational constant to the gender of frogs.
    You may have signed up for a life in VR Paradise Island but there is nothing preventing the person in charge of your matrix to unleash floods and rivers of blood upon your world. And having uploaded yourself there's nothing you can do unless other "gods" wage a war in Heaven to liberate you.

We could call those well-intentioned gods "judges" and the heaven would be the real-world courtroom which is now located on a different dimension as far as you're concerned.

So, by these criterias is it fair to say that our advance in technology will make the concept of god a very real possibility ?
    Problem is that every single question posed is answered with a no. Sometimes a straight out no and sometimes a not yet. You on the other hand answered all of them with a yes and then drew a huge amount of conclusions based on that.

-Realistic VR is a thing
    Realistic VR is not a thing now, but it is growing very vast.

Brain uploading is not a thing, it's science-fiction.

People cannot chose to permanently remove themselves from physical reality, because this is simply not technicaly possible now (or only if you commit suicide).

But i agree: everything you said could be a thing in 40 or 50 years, maybe less.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    no, save and reload would not be possible, because that would nullify everybody else's actions and decisions. unless the game is total invidual and not a single other human is involved in its actions.
    why would I want other assholes besides me in my simulation?