Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Spoilers: Why is the Alliance story so weak in BFA compared to the Horde?

Of the 4/6 zones we’ve seen so far, the Alliance has gotten the very short end of the stick in regards to the importance of the questing.

In Drustvar, the entirety of the zone is dealing with the Witch Coven and the Drust. There is not a single thing in the zone that would suggest that this story will matter in BFA outside of the zone. It’s nice to see them introducing new lore but they really should’ve connected them with the rest of the story somehow.

Tiragarde Sound may have a relevant plot line in Lady Ashvane and House Ashvane, but the zone concentrates just too little on them. Only about 30 minutes of questing is actually significant probably.

On the Horde though, in Nazmir you deal with loas, including Bwomsamdi who may play a big role. This is also where most of the character development of Talanji occurs who likely will be around the Horde for a long time. Then there also is the overarching theme of G’huun who is some form of Old God and parts of the raid are related to N’zoth. So that’s obviously huge.

Zuldazar fleshes out Zul a lot. And he’s been around for a very long time. It also connects Zul to Azshara for the first time which can possibly be a huge plotline later on. And probably will be.

So I’m just not seeing how the Alliance zones as currently constructed can compare.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's because right now everything including the story in Kul'tiras is still in the alpha. Things will change up bit when Tiragarde sound and other zone might open up for the alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It seems like more info on the Zuldazar questlines is known at current - the Kul Tiras and Alliance content hasn't been as fleshed out yet. I would probably reserve judgment for later in the Alpha/Beta.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It is Alpha which is exactly why there should be feedback on it.

Also, Tiragarde Sound is playable right now. Only zones not open are Volduun (judging by datamined dialogue this one could have big implications too) and Stormsong Valley (this is 1 Alliance zone I’m relatively confident will have important stories.). So we have the full stories of everything else.

Alliance story put on the back burner to give the Horde more focus?

Shocking.

That's never happened before.

*coughcoughTwilightHighlandscoughcough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    Of the 4/6 zones we’ve seen so far, the Alliance has gotten the very short end of the stick in regards to the importance of the questing.

In Drustvar, the entirety of the zone is dealing with the Witch Coven and the Drust. There is not a single thing in the zone that would suggest that this story will matter in BFA outside of the zone. It’s nice to see them introducing new lore but they really should’ve connected them with the rest of the story somehow.

Tiragarde Sound may have a relevant plot line in Lady Ashvane and House Ashvane, but the zone concentrates just too little on them. Only about 30 minutes of questing is actually significant probably.

On the Horde though, in Nazmir you deal with loas, including Bwomsamdi who may play a big role. This is also where most of the character development of Talanji occurs who likely will be around the Horde for a long time. Then there also is the overarching theme of G’huun who is some form of Old God and parts of the raid are related to N’zoth. So that’s obviously huge.

Zuldazar fleshes out Zul a lot. And he’s been around for a very long time. It also connects Zul to Azshara for the first time which can possibly be a huge plotline later on. And probably will be.

So I’m just not seeing how the Alliance zones as currently constructed can compare.
    So you, personally, don't find it as interesting/whatever and we're supposed to consider that like, a factual statement about the stories in BFA? Much less 'speak up' and complain about it?

"Oh, damn, this one guy said a thing, horde bias! Horde bias!"

Someone else might like the alliance stories better and say the same thing about them. Do people not realize how opinions work anymore?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I would guess they are going to be adding a lot more since this is only the start of the alpha. I wouldn't really think about it until like a few month from now when the city is complete and they add more npcs to it. The alliance story I've seen so far though doesn't look bad, it seems like an interesting story which is what I want, it's probably a more subtle story than the horde side though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's almost like they should open up the other continent for each faction at 110 or something. Also, didn't Preach comment something very similar in a video he released today?

You're playing a fantasy game and you chose the faction who's lore usually revolves around... humans. Maybe if you wanted some interesting stories, idk don't play a human or the faction led by humans?

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Well I haven't delved too deeply into what awaits us I do know its essentially Jaina's home vs the remains of the Troll Empire. So from a creative standpoint. The last bastion of an ancient empire complete with God-king ruler and the encroachment of new civilizations, as well as Dinosaurs, lends to a lot more inspiration and fun that Nautical humans. I would love to see a british Navy take complete with Nelsonian character and love of the waves and battle. But it still just isn't as fun as Mayan trolls because the Alliance side is just so... Human. :/

i think that is one of the current problems in WoW development, not everything has to be legendary, with epicness and even the smallest pebble surronded by powerful ancient magic capable of destroying the world as we know.
    It is agood thing to have simpler stories, start again, that gives the game a breath

People are expecting complex storytelling in this expansion?

Mate.

It's an alpha, the Alliance zones are unfinished

They had to do one side first, or would you rather they do 10 npcs on one side and then 10 npcs on the other?

Not going to get riled up by the story until after things are more set into stone. I was annoyed that Zandalari was so much more badass in general than Kul Tiras and focused on a bigger bad guy, but if Kul Tiras is leading directly up to a confrontation with Azshara, then I take back everything. I'm waiting and watching for now.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of the 4/6 zones we’ve seen so far
    There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So you, personally, don't find it as interesting/whatever and we're supposed to consider that like, a factual statement about the stories in BFA? Much less 'speak up' and complain about it?

"Oh, damn, this one guy said a thing, horde bias! Horde bias!"

Someone else might like the alliance stories better and say the same thing about them. Do people not realize how opinions work anymore?
    Opinions are opinions of course, and forums are forums, but there’s a lot of negative feedback about the Alliance zones, particularly Drustvar (the actual questing, not the atmosphere which many say is great).

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Not going to get riled up by the story until after things are more set into stone. I was annoyed that Zandalari was so much more badass in general than Kul Tiras and focused on a bigger bad guy, but if Kul Tiras is leading directly up to a confrontation with Azshara, then I take back everything. I'm waiting and watching for now.
    I mean, people have been asking for more low-scale, street-level threats instead of grandiose apocalyptic villains. Maybe that's what Kul Tiras is meant to provide?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    There's your answer.
    It’s definitely possible to give legitimate opinions on the 4 zones available. They all have beginning, middle and endings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    I mean, people have been asking for more low-scale, street-level threats instead of grandiose apocalyptic villains. Maybe that's what Kul Tiras is meant to provide?
    I think they took it too far in the first 2 testable Alliance zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    From what I can see there is a lot of dark magic going on in Kul Tiras, sinister forces working behind the scenes to manipulate the nation into going against the Alliance and being used for darker forces. While on the outside, not as dramatic as taking out a blood god, I find it pretty cool. It's not about scale, it's about quality. And if it leads up to Kul Tiras taking out Azshara, then even the scale isn't lacking.

Mists of Pandaria has perhaps the best story of any expansion (other than, perhaps, WotLK), and it had the least powerful primary villain. It's not about scale, it's about quality, and I am feeling good about Alliance this expansion. It's too soon to say for sure but I don't feel like I'll be left wanting.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It’s definitely possible to give legitimate opinions on the 4 zones available. They all have beginning, middle and endings.
    Correct, but what's the merit based on incomplete information? I wouldn't have given it a second thought if the title of your thread was "Initial impressions - Alliance story seems weak compared to the Horde".

You're worried and concerned, I get it. But there's one more zone per faction left to go, and then there's whatever ties players to going to the opposite faction's continent. For all we know 8.1 will deal with a TON of stuff almost exclusively on Kul'Tiras; then what kind of thread will we get?