Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Nothing in your post elaborated on how cosmetics impact gameplay, aside from an assumption that they are replacing 'paid dlc'... which really is not true at all. Certainly not in the cases I am thinking of (Overwatch, for instance, has regularly implemented new content. I doubt cutting cosmetic content would have suddenly caused a ton of gameplay out of nowhere).

Aesthetic loot, by definition, does not impact gameplay. Which is the entire point. If it doesn't impact gameplay, then I really don't feel like loot boxes are a big deal.
    Player is less like able to play a game when he find character he play unappealing.
    Simpler cant be said. So yes - cosmetics, either cash shop or not do impact gameplay, as is, the fun player get from it. Non numerical wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    It's basically paying for cheatcodes.
    funny part is in the age of the internet nothing is hidden paying to find things is batshit crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nexusmods.com/starwarsba...22017/mods/607

Yep....

I wonder if this person will make a cosmetics version to.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    @Yunru - what?
    Well some guy made a mod for the lootboxes in battlefront, now i would love to see a mod that replaces their basic models with cosmetic locked ones just to be big FU to ea.

If some costume gets out, you can edit data files (usualy just changing number 01 to 09) and your character would be able to use a cosmetic costume. (it would override the old one)

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well some guy made a mod for the lootboxes in battlefront, now i would love to see a mod that replaces their basic models with cosmetic locked ones just to be big FU to ea.

If some costume gets out, you can edit data files (usualy just changing number 01 to 09) and your character would be able to use a cosmetic costume. (it would override the old one)
    Unlikely you'd find something like that on Nexus as it would count as an exploit/hack. Also what does the loot-crate mod do, the link was low on details?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Most of my family has 6 figure incomes yet my father always lived modestly and led by example on how not to waste money or at least take everything into consideration before opening your wallet.

I refuse to pay money for "gacha" style mobile games or shoddy business practices especially tailored towards hooking kids by the gaming version of gambling. This whole argument that if you are unwilling to support these practices then you must be poor is both ridiculous and juvenile.
    I am not poor but I don't have a lot of extra income most months, and most people I know hate micro transactions unless the game is designed around it like LoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Unlikely you'd find something like that on Nexus as it would count as an exploit/hack. Also what does the loot-crate mod do, the link was low on details?
    Look at what is writen on a lootbox on your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Look at what is writen on a lootbox on your right.
    PRIDE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT

Is this another one of those memes that completely passed me by?

Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    People complaining about money are often the ones without it.
    I can afford to throw thousands into the toilet, but I'm not going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    The gaming industry has changed forever and there is no turning back. People are willing to pay which is why gaming companies insist putting them in in order to stay competitive in the market. This is due to gaming development becomming more and more expensive. Frankly, i try to stay away from loot crates games unless they are purely cosmetic which i don’t mind at all like overwatch and dota 2.
    This has already been proven to be a sham argument. Development costs may be higher today than they were 10-15 years ago, but the market size itself is also much larger. Costs themselves haven't risen appreciably since 2010. EA actually spends $300m less on development today than it did in 2012. Its also the companies themselves pushing unsustainable development, as can be seen from how uptake of the PS4Pro and 1X have been very lackluster: Having a good game trumps 4K resolution. A meta wrinkle for them these days on the PC front is that cryptocurrency is massively inflating GPU prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Player is less like able to play a game when he find character he play unappealing.
    Simpler cant be said. So yes - cosmetics, either cash shop or not do impact gameplay, as is, the fun player get from it. Non numerical wise.
    I agree that cosmetics can affect whether or not a player plays a game or not, but it does not even remotely affect the gameplay. There is nothing to argue here, lol.

I agree that cosmetics can affect whether or not a player plays a game or not, but it does not even remotely affect the gameplay. There is nothing to argue here, lol.
    You really want to claim that skins that are harder to see do not exist at all? A cosmetic skin with more suble effects or that is harder to see in the environment does affect the overall gameplay. In Mobas that is not a rare occurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assassin's creed has been doing this for a while. Since Black Flag I think. Why gather resources yourself when you can just pay for them? Jesus fuck. This isn't as retarded as loot boxes but it's still pretty dumb. You're telling people that your game isn't worth playing and you should pay to skip the boring parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    another yongyea video

You want to claim it doesn't affect the game experience when they intentionally put less quantity and less quality cosmetic looks into a game in order to entice people to buy them out of the cash shop? Game w/out cash shop: Standard gear is 5/10, Hard mode 7/10, Expert mode 10/10 looks. With cash shop: Standard gear 3/10, Hard mode 5/10, Expert mode 7/10, Cash shop 10/10.

Or they do something like Eden Eternal and set the combine rates to like 30% and sell items that increase combine success.

There are a lot of ways the game experience is fucked with to entice cash shop sales in games.

^ To be fair, isn't "game experience" and "gameplay" two different things?
    Using aunt wiki

"Gameplay is the specific way in which players interact with a game,[1][2] and in particular with video games.[3][4] Gameplay is the pattern defined through the game rules,[2][5] connection between player and the game,[6] challenges[7] and overcoming them,[8] plot[9] and player's connection with it.[6] Video game gameplay is distinct from graphics[9][10] and audio elements.[9]"

Any cash shop simply taint gameplay. There are ofc large spectrum - for instance in wow and FF14 we can see kinda lame cash shops and in ESO we see full ejaculation of cash shop only shit. Both extremes of the spectrum are shitting in the game, just one less than other.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    You really want to claim that skins that are harder to see do not exist at all? A cosmetic skin with more suble effects or that is harder to see in the environment does affect the overall gameplay. In Mobas that is not a rare occurance.
    Are we seriously arguing that there are skins that make players 'harder to see'? I'm done, lol. This is ridiculous. This is purely grasping at straws and I have no interest in debating this kind of nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    You want to claim it doesn't affect the game experience when they intentionally put less quantity and less quality cosmetic looks into a game in order to entice people to buy them out of the cash shop? Game w/out cash shop: Standard gear is 5/10, Hard mode 7/10, Expert mode 10/10 looks. With cash shop: Standard gear 3/10, Hard mode 5/10, Expert mode 7/10, Cash shop 10/10.

Or they do something like Eden Eternal and set the combine rates to like 30% and sell items that increase combine success.

There are a lot of ways the game experience is fucked with to entice cash shop sales in games.
    I agree that it is irritating, but I disagree that it impacts gameplay. Because it doesn't. Period.

Are we seriously arguing that there are skins that make players 'harder to see'? I'm done, lol. This is ridiculous. This is purely grasping at straws and I have no interest in debating this kind of nonsense.

I agree that it is irritating, but I disagree that it impacts gameplay. Because it doesn't. Period.
    So models that are bigger than the originals with corresponding hitboxes do not affect gameplay? Aim at the head but theres no hit? Too bad, better learn the original hitboxes. You can laugh at it all the way you want but you are still in the wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Can you give us some examples of skins like that?
    I can only you give you some OW and LoL ones, I am not that much of a gamer anymore. Are these huge buffs? Hell no, but do they affect gameplay overall? They do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZovfDfL7yU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjYi0eVyBc

Some posts: https://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.c...ffect-gameplay

• Lunar Wraith Caitlyn has nicer AA's and is generally nicer, and it's the same feeling to a lesser extent on her Headhunter skin
    • Steel Legion Lux has a much nicer AA animation, and infamously difficult to see particles (especially on the now defunct winter map!)
    • Dragonwing Corki's animations are infamously good at causing FPS lag spikes on lower end machines (apparently the same for Lion Dance Kog'Maw but I haven't experienced that skin enough to know)
    • Gangster Twitch's AA animation feels quite fuzzy, in a bad way
    • Blood Moon Kennen's R is really hard to see compared to the base
    Quite easy to understand that attack animations of different skins are hard to precisely normalize.
    Im pretty sure there are alot more out there. Just the stuff you find with 2min google.

It’s actually possible, but we have to assume that stealth actually takes part of the game or the situation. If you can’t see an enemy in a moba because he is using a specific skin, considering they will walk around with a red hp bar over their heads… you might have some kind of bigger issue than whatever skin he may be using =P
    I thought we were talking about Overwatch. There are no skins that people exploit to be 'harder to see', because no one is hard to see. Never played LoL, never intend to. If there are issues in that game, then I can't really say. I doubt there are premium skins sold specifically with the intention of giving an artificial edge. Even if there is, it feels like it would be extremely insignificant.

I'll humor this slightly because I don't play LoL so I don't know how bad it could potentially get. I'm highly skeptical but I can't confirm this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Can you give us some examples of skins like that?
    There are couple banned from competitive lol esports. There was PROJECT Ashe which made her ultimate skin way harder to dodge because of semi transparent ability animations.

Some skins can, for instance, slightly increase animation time or delay that animation.