Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So which end of days was Yogg on about?

He Yogg told us the end of days is finally upon us, which one do you think he was referring to? The one where algalon summons the titans to reorignnarazzledazzle the planet. The one with deathwing. The one with the thunder king. The iron horde. Sargeras. His sword.

We've had quite a view end of the world averted events, and pretty sure having a sword stuck in azeroths ass won't matter for long when its healed up end of the expansion.
    #boycottchina

The one yet to come that involves his brethren and masters (Void Lords), likely the expansion after BfA. Sargera's aim was to kill or capture Azeroth before the Void had a chance to corrupt her. Sargeras is now gone and void will inevitably come to finish corrupting Azeroth. Yeah, we stopped the Legion big bad from destroying our planet/titan but probably opened the door for an even worse fate.

Confusing thing I just thought of: Wrathion was the one to warn us about Legion's return and yet he was absent from Legion. WTF is with that Blizz?
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2018-03-07 at 09:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I believe, in hindsight, he was referring to the Cataclysm and the Hour of Twilight to come - both things his death seemed to accelerate the timetable for. Of course the Hour of Twilight was averted, so I think the Yogg-Saron's prophecy of the "end of days" has probably also been averted (for now).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    He Yogg told us the end of days is finally upon us, which one do you think he was referring to? The one where algalon summons the titans to reorignnarazzledazzle the planet. The one with deathwing. The one with the thunder king. The iron horde. Sargeras. His sword.

We've had quite a view end of the world averted events, and pretty sure having a sword stuck in azeroths ass won't matter for long when its healed up end of the expansion.
    More like the one that he was just mad he got killed and was saying "fuck you" to us and the quote meant nothing much like 99% of the boss quotes being simply an angry person getting beat or trying to confuse us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I believe, in hindsight, he was referring to the Cataclysm and the Hour of Twilight to come - both things his death seemed to accelerate the timetable for. Of course the Hour of Twilight was averted, so I think the Yogg-Saron's prophecy of the "end of days" has probably also been averted (for now).
    His death had nothing to do with DW. DW was healing in a place the OGs, to our knowledge, had no access to outside of messages from TH cultists. DW caused the Cataclysm and DW was groomed by the OGs to solo cause HoT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    The one yet to come that involves his brethren and masters (Void Lords), likely the expansion after BfA. Sargera's aim was to kill or capture Azeroth before the Void had a chance to corrupt her. Sargeras is now gone and void will inevitably come to finish corrupting Azeroth. Yeah, we stopped the Legion big bad from destroying our planet/titan but probably opened the door for an even worse fate.

Confusing thing I just thought of: Wrathion was the one to warn us about Legion's return and yet he was absent from Legion. WTF is with that Blizz?
    Blizzard I think had come out to say that their view was he felt he was the cause of all of this and should probably not show up lest we smash his face in.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    More like the one that he was just mad he got killed and was saying "fuck you" to us and the quote meant nothing much like 99% of the boss quotes being simply an angry person getting beat or trying to confuse us.
    Eh, that is true for most bosses but I think Blizz treats the Old Gods and their allies a little differently. Old God elements (like the dagger, the puzzle box, etc.) have many quotes pertaining to the location and power of N'zoth. Then there are also all of the Il'gynoth quotes...

There are two likelihoods:
    The Old Gods just lie to us constantly.
    The Old Gods prophesied many things and some may come to pass.

Either way, their quotes, unlike most bosses, aren't meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard I think had come out to say that their view was he felt he was the cause of all of this and should probably not show up lest we smash his face in.
    We probably would have, or at least there would have been conflict. But leaving him out seems even weirder, because it sweeps the plot of the legendary cape questline under the rug...

The story wasn't as cohesive back then as it is now.

Old Gods are immortals.. 20 years is a blink of the eye to them. He could be referring to a calamity that happens 10 years from now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    His death had nothing to do with DW. DW was healing in a place the OGs, to our knowledge, had no access to outside of messages from TH cultists. DW caused the Cataclysm and DW was groomed by the OGs to solo cause HoT.
    And shortly following Yogg-Saron's demise, the Twilight's Hammer sought out Deathwing - rousing him from slumber, barding him with Elementium, and sending him to shatter to the World Pillar and jumpstart the Cataclysm. I don't know if Yogg's death was an immediate trigger for these events, or if N'Zoth simply capitalized on the occurrence and started the ball rolling so to speak - but it seems like more than a coincidence that the two things follow right on one-another's heels. Either way, Yogg-Saron definitely saw what was coming.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

And shortly following Yogg-Saron's demise, the Twilight's Hammer sought out Deathwing - rousing him from slumber, barding him with Elementium, and sending him to shatter to the World Pillar and jumpstart the Cataclysm. I don't know if Yogg's death was an immediate trigger for these events, or if N'Zoth simply capitalized on the occurrence and started the ball rolling so to speak - but it seems like more than a coincidence that the two things follow right on one-another's heels. Either way, Yogg-Saron definitely saw what was coming.
    I'd like a source to state that it was shortly after. That was ongoing as evidence by Sinestra in BC saying he was still running things.

Also where does it say Nzoth did anything with it either. Nzoth is imprisoned. DW got use of his minions which could have been imprisoned elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'd like a source to state that it was shortly after. That was ongoing as evidence by Sinestra in BC saying he was still running things.

Also where does it say Nzoth did anything with it either. Nzoth is imprisoned. DW got use of his minions which could have been imprisoned elsewhere.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    During Blizzcon 2010: Quests and lore panel, a person brought up the Tribunal of Ages event, pointing out that despite us players having killed two of the Old Gods, "we're not really seeing much calamity happening." The response from Afrasiabi was a succinct, "Have you played any Cataclysm?" followed by a, "You know, where the world blows up? Because of the Old Gods?" from Metzen. (Source)
    This posits that a connection exists between the deaths of two Old Gods (the most to die in the timeline being Yogg-Saron), something that prompted the Shattering and the Cataclysm. Deathwing was the direct cause of the Cataclysm, but his stirring and the Twilight's Hammer coming to Deepholm seem to have been prompted by Yogg's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Eh, that is true for most bosses but I think Blizz treats the Old Gods and their allies a little differently. Old God elements (like the dagger, the puzzle box, etc.) have many quotes pertaining to the location and power of N'zoth. Then there are also all of the Il'gynoth quotes...

There are two likelihoods:
    The Old Gods just lie to us constantly.
    The Old Gods prophesied many things and some may come to pass.

Either way, their quotes, unlike most bosses, aren't meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

We probably would have, or at least there would have been conflict. But leaving him out seems even weirder, because it sweeps the plot of the legendary cape questline under the rug...
    Audio A&T thingie pretty much further confirms even if they are lore that only maybe 1% of them actually mean something real.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    During Blizzcon 2010: Quests and lore panel, a person brought up the Tribunal of Ages event, pointing out that despite us players having killed two of the Old Gods, "we're not really seeing much calamity happening." The response from Afrasiabi was a succinct, "Have you played any Cataclysm?" followed by a, "You know, where the world blows up? Because of the Old Gods?" from Metzen. (Source)
    This posits that a connection exists between the deaths of two Old Gods (the most to die in the timeline being Yogg-Saron), something that prompted the Shattering and the Cataclysm. Deathwing was the direct cause of the Cataclysm, but his stirring and the Twilight's Hammer coming to Deepholm seem to have been prompted by Yogg's death.
    Once again, taking off the hand comments from Twitter and Blizzcon as being lore is bullshit considering they've constantly made mistakes with their comments that are constantly proven wrong. I already said in another thread there was a recent instance of their obvious bs so stop linking that as if it is lore. In game 100% confirmed it was DW by himself. Also Metzen is just a nerd feeding off power there. He tried to look cool and created a false statement to feel cool.

Audio A&T thingie pretty much further confirms even if they are lore that only maybe 1% of them actually mean something real.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, taking off the hand comments from Twitter and Blizzcon as being lore is bullshit considering they've constantly made mistakes with their comments that are constantly proven wrong. I already said in another thread there was a recent instance of their obvious bs so stop linking that as if it is lore. In game 100% confirmed it was DW by himself. Also Metzen is just a nerd feeding off power there. He tried to look cool and created a false statement to feel cool.
    You realise that Deathwing is a crazed pseudo-schizophrenic who directly hears the whispers of the Old Gods and also got his body turned into molten gelatin by the former?
    Last edited by Radaney; 2018-03-08 at 12:01 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Metzen occasionally messes up stuff like "Who was the third cousin of the grandson of this obscure Dwarven General in the War of Three Hammers?" He's generally pretty reliable when it comes to fundamental forces and powers in the Warcraft universe. Chronicle Vol. 3 is out soon and seems (judging by the index) to explain that Yogg-Saron was behind the Lich King and N'zoth was behind Deathwing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Well, you're welcome to that opinion - but if you're going to say "my opinion is superior to the people who created and/or run the very game we're talking about" then you'll be fighting an uphill battle you're unlikely to win. The lore is essentially what they say it is - they're the people who write the story and plan out the game's universe. Sure, sometimes they get it wrong or misremember things, they're human beings - but few people are going to take your opinion over their opinion.

As for it being "100% confirmed" in the game, there were a lot of things going on in the background of the Shattering and the Cataclysm - the movements of the Old God N'Zoth's forces, the spread of the Twilight's Hammer, the scheming of the resurrected Nefarian, and Cho'gall's involvement in the Bastion of Twilight. All this well and before Deathwing rose out of Deepholm to start the Cataclysm in earnest.

Well, you're welcome to that opinion - but if you're going to say "my opinion is superior to the people who created and/or run the very game we're talking about" then you'll be fighting an uphill battle you're unlikely to win. The lore is essentially what they say it is - they're the people who write the story and plan out the game's universe. Sure, sometimes they get it wrong or misremember things, they're human beings - but few people are going to take your opinion over their opinion.

As for it being "100% confirmed" in the game, there were a lot of things going on in the background of the Shattering and the Cataclysm - the movements of the Old God N'Zoth's forces, the spread of the Twilight's Hammer, the scheming of the resurrected Nefarian, and Cho'gall's involvement in the Bastion of Twilight. All this well and before Deathwing rose out of Deepholm to start the Cataclysm in earnest.
    It's not opinion. Tweets and Blizzcon are full of holes. I will state again then: If you think Metzen's stupid comment is canon then that also means that UBRS was a 5 man in Vanilla since that was also stated in a tween and blizzcon by devs.

I think its typical bad guy talk.

When you kill a raid boss you can count on him to shout the following line: "Your world will burn, mortals!" with various different words here and there ,but thats the over all message.

I've talked about this in the past actually. The fact that literally every boss you encounter that speaks English coherently will point out that you're a mortal and that you will fail or your world will burn. Its quite tiring, honestly.

Its refreshing fighting a boss like Harjatan where he really doesn't care about mortals, immortals or the burning of worlds. Hes just a big bastard that wants to smash shit up and is a clear danger, so we gotta stop him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's not opinion. Tweets and Blizzcon are full of holes. I will state again then: If you think Metzen's stupid comment is canon then that also means that UBRS was a 5 man in Vanilla since that was also stated in a tween and blizzcon by devs.
    The canonicity of that doesn't matter, since it's very obviously just him not remembering something from years ago. Loreology and similar tweets as well as BlizzCon panels are huge troves of canon lore - dismissing them out of hand would be pretty strange. As I said, they don't always get things 100% right, but that's neither here nor there.

You (or I for that matter) don't get to decide which is canon and which is not. Anything released by Blizzard is considered canon, unless retconned later or stated otherwise. It doesn't matter how many mistakes they made, it doesn't even matter if the statement is full of contradiction itself. The moment they released that statement, it's canon, and the lore have to change itself to accommodate it if needed to. You thinking it BS or your opinion of Metzen / Blizzard doesn't change how Word of God works.

And if we are to use an exaggerated example (even though yours have little to do with the lore which is what we are discussing about and what WoG mainly is about), yes, it means UBRS was a 5 man in Vanilla (assuming they haven't corrected their statement in regard of this) and some devs mistakenly tagged it as a raid in-game and they never bothered to change it. I know very well it wasn't, but it doesn't matter - the game and lore have to change themselves to make the statement true. That's just how it works.

It isn't limited to just WoW, but I believe the page of WoG explain it quite well in regards to your issue: "Such edicts can even go against events as were broadcast, due to someone making a mistake. <...> This is also a way that a theory can be jossed. It's important to remember that if you disagree with the Word of God, there's nothing wrong with writing fan fiction that contradicts it, just don't try to foist your preferred fanon on fans who acknowledge the official canon or on the actual creator of the work."

DW was healing in a place the OGs, to our knowledge, had no access to outside of messages from TH cultists.
    This is wrong. N'Zoth empowered him way before sending the cultists over to help keeping him from exploding inside out. Deathwing was only one of the hammer blows to herald the HoT.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-03-08 at 01:38 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

From the Old God's perspective, the Hour of Twilight (end of all mortal life) is just around the corner. All of their Deathwing level events are just them getting the troops mobilized. As an example, the Qiraji probably would have consumed all of Kalimdor in a matter of weeks if the heroes of Azeroth didn't kill them when they did. For the Old Gods, completely reshaping the planet is getting back to square one.

Deleted
    If it's really true what we've learned and the Old God see every possible future as the true path the future is going to take, he could be talking about all kinds of world ends he sees. I mean we averted the Hour of Twilight, but the future Murozond talked about, the one he saw that he found so horrible that he prefered bringing about the Hour of Twilight, I don't think we averted that one yet for example. And there might be more.
    I guess there's always more roads to damnation than to salvation and as the actual war is an eternal one (of which the constant fighting in our Azeroth-reality is only a fraction), he might even be seing one that will only come to pass when in this version of the universe the light side wins ^^