Poll: Which open world RPG is the largest?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Largest Open World RPG?

Hey everyone, which open world RPG do you think is the largest of all time?

For me personally I think Witcher 3 is the largest. The world, is filled with so many things and I am not talking purely about quests but also stuff like monsters nests, secret treasures, and much more.

Close second will be Assassin's Creed Origin. The world itself is so large but unfortunately most of the side quests are just kill bandits or save someone by carrying them or freeing them.

Oblivion for me is equal or slightly larger than Morrowind but, Morrowind felt larger because it didn't have fast travel mechanic yet (It is my favorite Elder Scrolls game).

Skyrim felt for me smaller than Oblivion and Morrowind.

I think Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is supposed to have the largest in-game world in terms of raw area.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Xenoblade X is one of the biggest in terms of size. The fact you get a mech mid-game and then the ability to fly around in it late-game necessitates this.

In an interview, Monolith Soft president Tesuya Takahashi said the world of Mira was about 400 square kilometers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minecraft.

Deleted

None of them.

Realistically it's Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall.

What is this scrub list and where's Daggerfall with it's world size comparable to real world Great Britain
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Daggerfall had so much great stuff in it. My favorite was going into rooms in the inns and seeing some topless pixel women.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    lol FF15 700, WoW 80?

then 99% of FF15 isn't possible to play on because WoW feels 10 times bigger than FF15.

even BotW and GTA 5 feel much bigger than FF15.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    What is this scrub list and where's Daggerfall with it's world size comparable to real world Great Britain
    Well this is why there is "Others" choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Well this is why there is "Others" choice.
    Yeah but the list is wankery to begin with.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but the list is wankery to begin with.
    Well not my fault if I can't remember every game I played because there are so many right?

Also even though I played a lot of RPGs I only started playing the ES series in Morrowind era. So yeah I didn't play Daggerfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Well not my fault if I can't remember every game I played because there are so many right?

Also even though I played a lot of RPGs I only started playing the ES series in Morrowind era. So yeah I didn't play Daggerfall.
    Well you could've at least done some pre-study instead of say, have the list consist 80% of Bethesda titles and then throw in couple odd names to make it look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Xenoblade X is one of the biggest in terms of size. The fact you get a mech mid-game and then the ability to fly around in it late-game necessitates this.

In an interview, Monolith Soft president Tesuya Takahashi said the world of Mira was about 400 square kilometers.

Having played a great deal of XcX, I can confirm that the world is indeed stupidly, stunningly gigantic.

And as others have pointed out, ES: Daggerfall had an unfathomably massive gameworld. MW, OB and Skyrim (while much more detailed) are pitifully tiny in comparison.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2018-03-07 at 11:42 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Only 'crafted' worlds. Daggerfall was largely procedural. And I loved it, went even back from Windows to a DOS boot as it was running much more stable for me.

Assassin Creed Origins is so freaking big.

Also, your monster nests and "stuff to do" are staple of open world - Ubisoft has perfected it.
    Dont get me wrong, Witcher 3 world i amazing and alive, but when i want to play a open world game with detailed world my first guess would be Ubisoft.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Only 'crafted' worlds. Daggerfall was largely procedural. And I loved it, went even back from Windows to a DOS boot as it was running much more stable for me.
    "Hey everyone, which open world RPG do you think is the largest of all time?"

Nowhere in the OP does it say anything about crafted worlds.

And if we are going to the absolute limits of RPGness, than GTA San Andreas. Holy fuck bunnies is that world huge.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    And if we are going to the absolute limits of RPGness, than GTA San Andreas. Holy fuck bunnies is that world huge.
    Not an ounce of RPG in GTA San Andreas, nor is the world huge by any metric.

Not an ounce of RPG in GTA San Andreas, nor is the world huge by any metric.

It felt huge at the time.