15+ Year Old Account

Thoughts on Promotional Items, TCG Loot, Loot Boxes, WoW Tokens, In-Game Shop, etc.

Now, I know the WoW TCG is something that came fairly late in Classic, with the first set and loot cards released in late 2006, but by the end of the core game they were offering ways for players to obtain rare promotional items from outside of the game.

First off, I'm not talking about any items or features that were added post-Classic, at least for the time being.

I'm just curious how people would feel about, for example, Blizzard adding the original TCG items to an in-game shop, or at some point perhaps introducing loot boxes that have a chance of dropping items from the TCG Loot Cards. Of course, the amount of this content that was available in Classic is pretty limited and mostly irrelevant, but if it ever progresses into BC or Wrath era, I think it might be a discussion worth having.

In the same vein, WoW Tokens. Obviously Classic had a very different economy, but RMT has always been a thing and if Classic is popular I can only imagine that gold sellers and bots would likewise become become an issue. So I wonder how people would feel if Classic came with WoW Tokens supported from the start (with different exchange rates compared to Modern, obviously) as a way to combat that. As with Modern, a gold exchange could also effectively be a way for players to earn their subscription just by playing the game, while giving Blizzard a bit of added revenue in the process.

In terms of an in-game shop or loot boxes and/or WoW tokens, it could provide an additional revenue model for Blizzard that would help justify continued development and progression for Classic servers.

Personally I have no real opinions on this stuff, I just thought it would be an interesting subject that I haven't seen crop up in Classic discussions.

I doubt you'll see "loot boxes" of any kind in WoW, not with the massive shitstorm and/or legal battles EA is facing over them. Tokens are fairly likely though, since it has mostly crushed the botters in live.

The only thing I can think of was the Spectral Tiger mount. Which was awesome but I don't think they should be adding a new way of getting it.

Other than that, a massive hell no to any in-game shop items.

5+ Year Old Account
    The day WoW introduces paid loot boxes is the day I'm leaving it for good.

I wouldn't mind those who have acquired the TCG items which were available during vanilla being able to acquire them again via a vendor or something, No in-game F2P shop bullshit though
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

I dont want to see loot boxes of any kind in any game. I dont want the wow token or any "in game shop" for classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    I doubt you'll see "loot boxes" of any kind in WoW, not with the massive shitstorm and/or legal battles EA is facing over them. Tokens are fairly likely though, since it has mostly crushed the botters in live.
    I recall Overwatch being the tipping point, where Activision-Blizzard got a bit too greedy. EA got scrutinized by the media sure (after Overwatch), but most people already knew EA sucked anyways, so they sort of got a pass. Anyways gamers have higher standards for Activision-Blizzard, so loot boxes are probably not coming, imo.

As for tokens, there is already threads about this. It goes against the spirit of Vanilla, as gold is power (unlike current retail where gold is shit). PVP would be wrecked, and potions would skyrocket in cost, going to those who have the most expendable income. PVE potions to rich guilds. BiS pre-raid gear? Rare recipes / patterns? 18-slot bags? Fast mount? Get out that wallet buddy. No thanks.

Tokens would be acceptable in a F2P game, but not one I will be paying a monthly fee for. It is Blizzard's responsibility to stop gold selling, not to endorse it. BattleNet Account security is better than ever, so account thievery will be very low (which was a prime source of sellable gold).

Buying tokens in retail and using them for Classic gametime is a better alternative, and might actually get new people to play retail (if they have the stomach).

edit:
    As to WoW TCG, it's a grey area, as someone actually needs to go out and buy the packs, instead of sitting at home feeding their gambling addiction with a bunch of clicks. I think that was always the argument FOR them. I honestly don't know anyone who plays TCG though .. Magic and Pokemon, yup. Yu-Gi-Oh? a small niche .. WoW TCG? Whats that?
    Last edited by Vineri; 2018-04-12 at 05:41 PM.

Well, the WoW TCG ain’t being made anymore... but if people want to use one of the dwindling number of cards on a Classic server, as long as it was in during Classic then sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    No on all of that especially loot boxes.

Tokens maybe later although good luck acquiring enough gold for one if it's truly like vanilla. I can't imagine what an in-game shop would offer that would remain true to the idea of classic.

Just no.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Not interested. Seems to go directly against the idea of classic.

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay with them adding a vendor that sells the TCG Stuff for free but you can only get them if you already have them on your account. (if they were tcg items available during vanilla and if your account has them unlocked), otherwise I'm in the NO CHANGES Camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe a no to it all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..