Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sooo what the fuck happened to the heart of Y'shaarj?

After doing SoO today I noticed after Garrosh is defeated, the Old God kool aid is sucked back into the heart of Y'shaarj, and it comes back to life. What happened to it? Seems like a rather important plot point.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Old God kool aid is NOT sucked back into the Heart of Y'shaarj. The thing shriveled and died. A literal heart failure.

It's as active as Yogg-Saron or C'thun. Dead tissue. This one is more extreme, since it's an extracted organ from a long-dead Old God, that was ripped appart from Azeroth itself.

It's probably still hanging there, in the abandoned Underhold.

There's a giant trash can behind Orgrimmar with the heart poking out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Garrosh consumes the essence of the Heart and mutates, but the Heart itself died. Presumably like most Old God manifestations it unraveled back into Shadow/Void energies or it was simply left to rot in the empty and haunted halls of the Underhold.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    The Old God kool aid is NOT sucked back into the Heart of Y'shaarj. The thing shriveled and died. A literal heart failure.

It's as active as Yogg-Saron or C'thun. Dead tissue. This one is more extreme, since it's an extracted organ from a long-dead Old God, that was ripped appart from Azeroth itself.

I'm too lazy to make a YouTube video, go beat Garrosh yourself and watch what happens to the heart. They made a very specific animation where the purple cloud dissipates from Garrosh, and moves back up into the heart, returning it to its beating, live state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I'm too lazy to make a YouTube video, go beat Garrosh yourself and watch what happens to the heart. They made a very specific animation where the purple cloud dissipates from Garrosh, and moves back up into the heart, returning it to its beating, live state.
    The energy doesn't seem to go back to the Heart, it just sort of dissipates in all directions - Nobbel's video of the fight shows both this and the state of the heart afterward: https://youtu.be/Qfy44X4a-1s?t=1987
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

That's weird. I wonder if it's a glitch because I'm soloing it. I'll make a screenshot later.

Deleted
    /snip

Well, I was too slow there, good point @Aucald
    Last edited by mmoc30e49a2c4a; 2018-03-07 at 04:59 PM. Reason: 2slow

Probably not the right comparison, as Yogg and C'thun are almost certainly still around since they did not get extracted from Azeroth. Yogg and C'thun are still active until Blizz says they aren't.

All the old gods essences will merge into one being I bet once we kill N'Zoth.

Whatever the animation that occurs, the existence of Fading Breath and its related quest make it pretty conclusive that Y'shaarj is gone.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The energy does not moves back up into the heart, and the heart does not return to it's beating, live state.

The heart becomes this brown'ish, dead thing, and the energy dissipates in all directions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Probably not the right comparison, as Yogg and C'thun are almost certainly still around since they did not get extracted from Azeroth. Yogg and C'thun are still active until Blizz says they aren't.
    That's why I said it's a even more extreme case :P

Mythic - its still alive after defeating garrosh.

On heroic mode too. Maybe it's a bug.

It would definitely be a bug. It wouldn't be the first time either that there's been graphical glitches in old raids and dungeons.

On heroic mode too. Maybe it's a bug.
    In p1 its beating, Garrosh is normie
    In p2 he absorbs a bit and it stayed beating.
    In heart phase it was alive as he was draining it
    In p3 (hulk mode) it was invisible as he drained it entirely, then it appeared dead.
    P4 is stormwind, can't see it

Then my .gif is just after clicking the rift to go back to Orgrimmar.

Still leaves some questions unanswered. Garrosh is alive, so we clearly didn't kill Y'shaaraj. If we did, wouldn't we see cataclysmic events like they keep saying will happen if we dome an old god? And if Y'shaaraj isn't dead, where did it dissipate too? Clearly not back into the heart. I'm guessing the Stormwind phase isn't cannon, so we'll say Garrosh is defeated in the throne room of the underhold. So maybe it dissipated into a nearby person?

Is old god corruption easily hidden? I can't think of any time an old god has corrupted someone that its been unnoticeable, but i'm not big into the lore.

So either:

A: Y'shaaraj died and Blizz is calling bullshit with the whole "we can't kill the Old Gods" thing (most likely)
    B: The essence dissipated into a bystander and is hidden within them (unlikely)
    C: The essence dissipated somewhere else where it can reform. (unlikely)

Yeah, bug. The heart should be dead, and all that remains is the fading breath (aka purple puke) on the ground, which gives you a one-time quest in which you confirm Y'shaarj is dead once and for all and you activate the shrines in the Valley of Eternal Blossoms that allow you to rewatch the ending cinematics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Still leaves some questions unanswered. Garrosh is alive, so we clearly didn't kill Y'shaaraj. If we did, wouldn't we see cataclysmic events like they keep saying will happen if we dome an old god?
    No, the cataclysmic even that happened in the past is that Aman'thul ripped Y'shaarj from Azeroth, but the Old God was so massive and so deep into the earth that the event caused catastrofic damage to the world.

Y'shaarj was dead then, but its remains (like the heart) still had some power.

Garrosh revives the heart in the Valley waters and drains that power for himself, killing the heart. When Garrosh's defeated, the power is released and fades away.

And if Y'shaaraj isn't dead, where did it dissipate too? Clearly not back into the heart.
    I guess the power dissipated over the area, tainting it forever. The undehold is probably haunted by the Void now, but its power is too difused to be useful to anyone.
    Whatever...

7+ Year Old Account
    Taken from the Heart of Y'Shaarj page on Wowpedia.org:

As the adventurers neared victory, Garrosh absorbed all of the Heart's power in a last-ditch move that transformed him into an avatar of Y'Shaarj. When even this monstrous form was defeated, the last power of Y'Shaarj drained away and left behind nothing but a Fading Breath that soon vanished as well.
    So...

/thread

Just because their could possibly be a glitch/bug during the encounter that doesn't have the model of the heart disappear from the room, does not mean lore/story wise Blizzard dun goofed.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2018-03-07 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post

Mythic - its still alive after defeating garrosh.
    It is a cadaveric spasm! Everything is just fine .

But..? Yogg and C'thun are still alive though. They've been defeated so they're "Dead", but they aren't actually dead like Y'Shaarj is.