Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Oh I didn't know the corner stone of massively profitable games was achievements. How do any of them ever fail with them.. right..

I await your dumb reply.
    I mean, I also think achievs are dumb, but many retailers seem to love them. And Blizz will probably want to cash on those folks, by "bribing" them to play Classic, via giving them achievements, which in turn means more subs for good ol' Blizz. It's somewhat far fetched, sure, but I wouldn't rule it out (even if I hate achievs).

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I mean, I also think achievs are dumb, but many retailers seem to love them. And Blizz will probably want to cash on those folks, by "bribing" them to play Classic, via giving them achievements, which in turn means more subs for good ol' Blizz. It's somewhat far fetched, sure, but I wouldn't rule it out (even if I hate achievs).
    I am not sitting here and saying its impossible either. Far from it. I am just trying to actually discuss why classic needs it beyond the catch all "I hear it makes money, lawl" argument. If I could see absolute proof that subs are directly linked to achievements I might entertain it. But didn't the game peek when achievements were put into the game and haven't subs been in steady decline since that point? I doubt this really has anything to do with achievements. But that is really all the data anyone outside of Blizzard really has. So all I can take from it is "I like achievements, so "everyone" likes achievements (I mean look at the forums, lawl lawl lawl), so if classic is to be good and make a lot of money it needs achievements" type of discussion which is retarded at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Why would retailers care about achievements in a game? Seems like something that works for player retention but not so much initial sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sitting here and saying its impossible either. Far from it. I am just trying to actually discuss why classic needs it beyond the catch all "I hear it makes money, lawl" argument. If I could see absolute proof that subs are directly linked to achievements I might entertain it. But didn't the game peek when achievements were put into the game and haven't subs been in steady decline since that point? I doubt this really has anything to do with achievements. But that is really all the data anyone outside of Blizzard really has. So all I can take from it is "I like achievements, so "everyone" likes achievements (I mean look at the forums, lawl lawl lawl), so if classic is to be good and make a lot of money it needs achievements" type of discussion which is retarded at best.
    it is foolish to not assume money is the single ultimate driving priority behind everything blizzard does at this point.

as you yourself state, you are never, ever going to see proof of anything outside of some general comment from a blue on how achievements were received, so holding up a standard of proof that will never ever ever be met is probably something you should just say 'nothing you can ever say will convince me.'
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Why would retailers care about achievements in a game? Seems like something that works for player retention but not so much initial sales.
    Honestly? I could see the investors/numbers 0eople loving it because they can see it causing people to play more/buy more for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    it is foolish to not assume money is the single ultimate driving priority behind everything blizzard does at this point.

as you yourself state, you are never, ever going to see proof of anything outside of some general comment from a blue on how achievements were received, so holding up a standard of proof that will never ever ever be met is probably something you should just say 'nothing you can ever say will convince me.'
    The amazing part about this is when you reply I think you need to start it off with "This is coming from a total retard, so.. grain of salt"

The point had nothing to do with is money the goal. No shit that is the goal. The point is proving that it does make money.

If you need further lessons PM me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The amazing part about this is when you reply I think you need to start it off with "This is coming from a total retard, so.. grain of salt"

The point had nothing to do with is money the goal. No shit that is the goal. The point is proving that it does make money.

If you need further lessons PM me.
    a standard of proof that you know will never, ever be met by anyone is a false argument.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    a standard of proof that you know will never, ever be met by anyone is a false argument.
    Then the exact opposite is true. Using something as a standard to judge something that will never, ever be met or known by anyone is a fucking false argument. Thank you for finally coming around.