Violent Video Games Thrown Out by Students in Protest Against Mass Shootings

First they came for the gun owners, and I did not speak out—
    Because why would I need guns when I have them in video games?

Then they came for the soda drinkers, and I did not speak out—
    Because I didn't want people to think I was fat.

Then they came for the white male, and I did not speak out—
    Because a chick I wanted to bang was saying it.

Then they came for me, the video gamer—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Violent Video Games Thrown Out by Students in Protest Against Mass Shootings

Students in a school in Florida are being encouraged to throw out violent video games, along with signing pledges in which they state they will no longer play specific games to protest against virtual violence. The effort to "send a message against violence" has seen middle school students participating in the “Violent Video Game Toss,” a campaign in which they're encouraged to throw away their mature-rated games in the midst of the ongoing debate surrounding gun control in the US.

In a report from WSVN, some Cushman School students spoke about why they were protesting against violent games. “I think it’s important because if you play violent video games, you’re gonna have a really bad mindset, and you won’t be able to focus on your schoolwork," one student said. "And that’s important, so you can get into a good college.”

Parents and teachers are behind the campaign, with headteacher Arvi Balseiro praising the students' initiative.

“We believe every student, beyond even Cushman’s blue gates, belongs to each one of us,” Balseiro said. “These are the students who are going to become the leaders of tomorrow and developing a healthy growth mindset that will come back and contribute positively to this community and beyond becomes a responsibility for every single one of us.”

"We wanted to make a change after the shooting," one student said. "So we decided to get a group of people together to throw away all their games."

President Donald Trump is reportedly holding a meeting with the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) in order to discuss video game violence. In a statement given to Polygon, the ESA said: “The upcoming meeting at the White House, which ESA will attend, will provide the opportunity to have a fact-based conversation about video game ratings, our industry’s commitment to parents, and the tools we provide to make informed entertainment choices."
    I have a feeling, with the swirling mess of mass media coverage attacking video games in the wake of the shooting at Stoneman High, that many of the more liberal members on this forum are beginning to have a feeling what it is like to be a law-abiding gun owner or white male in this country. This is what it feels like to be demonized and stereotyped for our hobbies or race. To be blamed, as a group, for the actions of one. As we can see: the morale of these events is that freedom is indivisible. Let those in power take even a small piece of your freedom, the right to bear arms, and it will never stop. Cry-bullies will never be satisfied, will chip away at your freedoms, until every aspect of your life is under their thumb and we are all vegan eunuchs.

I, for one, can get behind a cause that gets all the minors on Call of Duty to stop playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let retards waste their (parent's) money. Im keeping my games

Did you really just tried to use the poem about cowardice to stand up to the rise of nazism in this? Really Really now?

Also, take a step outside and avoid alex jones type conspiracy websites. No one is out to get you because your white or a gamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    dont create bait threads, and there is an existing video games in regards to politics and shootings already.