Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    Night Elves come off as much more Amazonian rather than "typical elf ranger" imo, at least that's how I've always seen them. Even when they were in the Alliance they stayed mainly reclusive to most of their areas.

High Elves are much more widely seen among Humans and Dwarves, and have carried this trope into WoW and even where WoW is today.

Plus they wouldn't be "Night Elf 2.0" anymore than Kul'Tirans are humans 2.0 or Mag'har being Orcs 2.0 or Zandalari being Trolls 2.0 or LF Draenei being Draenei 2.0 , etc etc. You see where I'm going with this, I hope. As said earlier though, Night elves come off as much more amazonian and reclusive.

We know that Wildhammer Dwarves will be coming in at some point in the future and they are basically "aerial dwarves". Dark Iron and Bronzebeard are both mountain dwarves, Dark Iron are just deeper into the mountain than Bronzebeards. While we don't know what form the Wildhammer Dwarves are coming in, it will give an idea of how Blizzard wants to handle adding an unplayable race that right now are only aesthetically differentiated by tattoos.
    I think lorewise Wildhammer are somewhat taller than Bronzebeards and Dark Iron so they could get new models (or scaled down Kul'Tiran models).

Instead of making "High Elves" more Night Elvish which would probably exclude paladins and mages as class options perhaps it would better to ask for a kind of Lightforged Night Elves,which would allow for paladins, priests and mages, potentially explain human-like skin-tones as well as a new "unique" model. In a way it would be "replicating" part of the process the original Highborne exiles went through and thus creating a new kind of High Elves from scratch.

They should just add them and be done with it. I don't think anyone will quit the game if High Elves allied race would exist. And if they do then good riddance!

I'm neither for or against, but clearly there's a lot of folks who wish to play them. More so than most allied races that were already added to the game. If they can have two different types of Tauren, Orcs, Dwarves, Trolls, Nelves....etc they can add more type of Quel'Thalas Elves along the Blood Elves for the alliance only. I kinda took VE's out of that category because to me they're just in their own different category since they come off as a complete aberration. In fact it makes the Alliance look even more hypocritical. So they hated one Windruner sister for being Banshee and taking looking out for the Lordaeronians that became Forsaken, but somehow are ok with the other sister totally becoming the Void's mistress. Like, I don't know how more Alliance players find this hypocritical but whatever....I digress...
    Last edited by Shefu; 2018-11-22 at 03:03 AM.

Deleted
    So you want WoW to be even more like LOTRO or D&D?

Night Elves come off as much more Amazonian rather than "typical elf ranger" imo, at least that's how I've always seen them. Even when they were in the Alliance they stayed mainly reclusive to most of their areas.

High Elves are much more widely seen among Humans and Dwarves, and have carried this trope into WoW and even where WoW is today.

Plus they wouldn't be "Night Elf 2.0" anymore than Kul'Tirans are humans 2.0 or Mag'har being Orcs 2.0 or Zandalari being Trolls 2.0 or LF Draenei being Draenei 2.0 , etc etc. You see where I'm going with this, I hope. As said earlier though, Night elves come off as much more amazonian and reclusive.

We know that Wildhammer Dwarves will be coming in at some point in the future and they are basically "aerial dwarves". Dark Iron and Bronzebeard are both mountain dwarves, Dark Iron are just deeper into the mountain than Bronzebeards. While we don't know what form the Wildhammer Dwarves are coming in, it will give an idea of how Blizzard wants to handle adding an unplayable race that right now are only aesthetically differentiated by tattoos.
    But what does make them stand apart? Being more around humans and dwarves is a thing of necessity. They are Alliance aligned. And typical High Elf fantasy troops is a loof and proud just like Nightborne. All those new races are 2.0, especially Mag'har who do not differ culturally much from green orcs. They are just brown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetus Rex View Post
    But what does make them stand apart? Being more around humans and dwarves is a thing of necessity. They are Alliance aligned. And typical High Elf fantasy troops is a loof and proud just like Nightborne. All those new races are 2.0, especially Mag'har who do not differ culturally much from green orcs. They are just brown.
    High Elves in WoW translate from the Warhammer heritage which influenced the first Warcraft game. But differently to Warhammer, where you have High Elves, Wood Elves and Chaos Elves, we got a different setup in WoW. And High Elves are not in the focus anymore. Thalassian heritage went on to the Blood Elves. High Elves are merely exiles, just like Void Elves are. So, by adding High Elves as an additional AR to the Alliance, they would not only prey on the Blood Elves on Horde side, but also on the Void Elves on Alliance side. You get nothing unique by adding High Elves, except a step back into the realms of nostalgia.

I know such cases. I know people who don't play the World of Darkness Revised (3.0) games, because they prefer to be stuck in the storytelling situation of the 2.0 situation, where the end of the world was not as imminent, some factions behaved differently, and some signature characters' situation was different as well. I know people who also did not want to make the transition to the new World of Darkness. In pen & paper RPGs you have the luxury to stop at a specific point and to develop your own stories, because you and your RPG group are a separate entity.

But in WoW, beside the Classic fans, you only have one community and one storyline, and this is dictated by Blizzard. And whatever headcanon you have in mind for your roleplaying background, we have hard facts in the world. Blood Elves are the ones who are the Thalassian society. High Elves would not be a problem if High Elf fans would accept that fact and support the lore-given situation of them being the outcasts and the Blood Elves being the main body of their people.

But as fas as I have read threads like these, many High Elf players suffer from some kind of delusion of them being the "true and chosen" ones despite numbers and lore saying otherwise, probably forcing Blizzard to rewrite the story or even retcon it at some point. And this is a can of worms which I would not want to open.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I would not mind if they decide to write Blood Elves as "evil elves" again, to bring them in line with the concept of Chaos Elves in Warhammer. I can even imagine to embrace that concept willingly. But at the current point of the storyline, the Blood Elves are not only the true successors of the High Elves in terms of lore and numbers, they even get purified from fel influence which is seen by Blood Elves aquiring golden eyes. This is a huge thing which I want to explore further, and the presence of High Elves would diminish such a story development, draw attention away from Light vs. Void in Thalassian Elves.

But maybe this is the underlying, hidden problem of the whole situation. I expect Void Elves to become something like Chaos Elves in Warhammer. And this would of course clash with the concept of High Elves being idealised into angelic beings who can do no wrong. Which is BTW the reason why I find High Elves despicable. In the LOTR setting, elves do make mistakes and harbor hatred and grudges just as well. There is even a civil war of elven tribes described in the Silmarillion. While the Hobbit movie trilogy was quite mediocre compared to the lore material and the LOTR movies, at least they got an interesting character in Thranduil, who could have been a great Blood Elf character just as well. High Elves in WoW lack this kind of depth.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2018-11-22 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus Rex View Post
    I mean you can make the case that High Elves in WoW are already a subversion given their place in the lore. There's nothing "High" about them anymore, they are expatriates living in human cities, all to willing to mingle with lesser races, assimilated into their culture while still trying to preserve something of their own even if it just ends up being carrying a name that doesn't really fit.

They really don't have the position to be aloof anymore tbh and I think there's such a lot possible to explore with them as a group of people on the brink of extinction but refusing to do so, and how they can have a legacy, a continuation, given their current context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    High Elves in WoW translate from the Warhammer heritage which influenced the first Warcraft game. But differently to Warhammer, where you have High Elves, Wood Elves and Chaos Elves, we got a different setup in WoW. And High Elves are not in the focus anymore. Thalassian heritage went on to the Blood Elves. High Elves are merely exiles, just like Void Elves are. So, by adding High Elves as an additional AR to the Alliance, they would not only prey on the Blood Elves on Horde side, but also on the Void Elves on Alliance side. You get nothing unique by adding High Elves, except a step back into the realms of nostalgia.

I know such cases. I know people who don't play the World of Darkness Revised (3.0) games, because they prefer to be stuck in the storytelling situation of the 2.0 situation, where the end of the world was not as imminent, some factions behaved differently, and some signature characters' situation was different as well. I know people who also did not want to make the transition to the new World of Darkness. In pen & paper RPGs you have the luxury to stop at a specific point and to develop your own stories, because you and your RPG group are a separate entity.

But in WoW, beside the Classic fans, you only have one community and one storyline, and this is dictated by Blizzard. And whatever headcanon you have in mind for your roleplaying background, we have hard facts in the world. Blood Elves are the ones who are the Thalassian society. High Elves would not be a problem if High Elf fans would accept that fact and support the lore-given situation of them being the outcasts and the Blood Elves being the main body of their people.

But as fas as I have read threads like these, many High Elf players suffer from some kind of delusion of them being the "true and chosen" ones despite numbers and lore saying otherwise, probably forcing Blizzard to rewrite the story or even retcon it at some point. And this is a can of worms which I would not want to open.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I would not mind if they decide to write Blood Elves as "evil elves" again, to bring them in line with the concept of Chaos Elves in Warhammer. I can even imagine to embrace that concept willingly. But at the current point of the storyline, the Blood Elves are not only the true successors of the High Elves in terms of lore and numbers, they even get purified from fel influence which is seen by Blood Elves aquiring golden eyes. This is a huge thing which I want to explore further, and the presence of High Elves would diminish such a story development, draw attention away from Light vs. Void in Thalassian Elves.

But maybe this is the underlying, hidden problem of the whole situation. I expect Void Elves to become something like Chaos Elves in Warhammer. And this would of course clash with the concept of High Elves being idealised into angelic beings who can do no wrong. Which is BTW the reason why I find High Elves despicable. In the LOTR setting, elves do make mistakes and harbor hatred and grudges just as well. There is even a civil war of elven tribes described in the Silmarillion. While the Hobbit movie trilogy was quite mediocre compared to the lore material and the LOTR movies, at least they got an interesting character in Thranduil, who could have been a great Blood Elf character just as well. High Elves in WoW lack this kind of depth.
    I think you are making a lot of extrapolation of non WoW content for what is WoW's narrative, and I think that misses the point of looking at WoW's own narrative tbh.

Also the notion that High Elves are the "true and chosen" is simply stupid, let's not give any weight to such silly notions, nor take them as indicative of the reasons most of the playerbase wants High Elves.

Some of us want them because we like their lore, their place through it, and the potential they could have, and I feel your point is kinds dismissing all of that. Like I don't hate the whole Light V/S Void thematic VE's and BE's have, but I do feel it's rather shoehorned when we already had a far more interesting political set up between High and Blood Elves that could have been focused on in times of Faction War, and still, Alleria's own reasons to even go for the Void Elves were entirely political.

We had an great set up already and I think the whole Void/Light thing really came out of nowhere, and it really hasn't been even explored.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    I think lorewise Wildhammer are somewhat taller than Bronzebeards and Dark Iron so they could get new models (or scaled down Kul'Tiran models).

Instead of making "High Elves" more Night Elvish which would probably exclude paladins and mages as class options perhaps it would better to ask for a kind of Lightforged Night Elves,which would allow for paladins, priests and mages, potentially explain human-like skin-tones as well as a new "unique" model. In a way it would be "replicating" part of the process the original Highborne exiles went through and thus creating a new kind of High Elves from scratch.
    True about Wildhammer, we'll have to see how Blizzard handles it. Do they want to keep the same silhouette dwarves have? Or construct it similar to have humans will now have access to a "new body type" through KulTiran. Interested to see how Blizzard handles it on that front.

As for High Elves and Night Elf, it really isn't trying to make them more Night Elvish lol, I know it's a meme but think more Legolas and less Amazonian Huntress. Basically the idea is that most High Elves on Alliance are depicted in situations where magic isn't a forefront to their identity. Silver Covenant ends up in the Hunter hall for instance during Legion, they'll mainly seen with Rangers when they mobilize (even though yes there are also High Elf mages around). There's Highvale who gave up using magic altogether.

But yeah I'm cool with your idea as well I want to have a High Elf Paladin on the Alliance ultimately so I aint saying no to that!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I mean you can make the case that High Elves in WoW are already a subversion given their place in the lore. There's nothing "High" about them anymore, they are expatriates living in human cities, all to willing to mingle with lesser races, assimilated into their culture while still trying to preserve something of their own even if it just ends up being carrying a name that doesn't really fit.

They really don't have the position to be aloof anymore tbh and I think there's such a lot possible to explore with them as a group of people on the brink of extinction but refusing to do so, and how they can have a legacy, a continuation, given their current context.
    You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. I find it interesting to play this race of Elves who are carrying on a name/title as a callback to their previous society when they actually have no lands or power within that previous kingdom and have put all their eggs into their Ally's basket. They don't back down against their former society even when they are the vast minority, all the while having great camaraderie among old friends (and even new ones).

Maybe there are those that find it boring, but I find it very compelling to play a race that is the minority who decided that the path their kingdom was going down wasn't for them and gave up all they had because of the principle of the matter (as well as some also being exiled from the kingdom for it). There is no "right vs wrong" when it comes to the divide that was created by High Elves and Blood Elves, it was merely a choice of being pragmatic and being idealistic. It's compelling in the same way you see Sylvanas discussion happening around about whether she's a villain or anti-hero. There are arguments to be made for and against on both sides there which is the compelling part, and this applies to High Elves and Blood Elves as well.

Being able to play out this race (High Elves) lets players have the ability to experience one of the most contentious decisions and rivalries made in Warcraft to this day.

I think you are making a lot of extrapolation of non WoW content for what is WoW's narrative, and I think that misses the point of looking at WoW's own narrative tbh.

Also the notion that High Elves are the "true and chosen" is simply stupid, let's not give any weight to such silly notions, nor take them as indicative of the reasons most of the playerbase wants High Elves.

Some of us want them because we like their lore, their place through it, and the potential they could have, and I feel your point is kinds dismissing all of that. Like I don't hate the whole Light V/S Void thematic VE's and BE's have, but I do feel it's rather shoehorned when we already had a far more interesting political set up between High and Blood Elves that could have been focused on in times of Faction War, and still, Alleria's own reasons to even go for the Void Elves were entirely political.

We had an great set up already and I think the whole Void/Light thing really came out of nowhere, and it really hasn't been even explored.
    Yeah just because there are some folks who say they consider Alliance High Elves as "true High Elves" doesn't mean every one of us does. I find it pretty useless to refer to them that way anyway. What is a "true High Elf" anyway? It misses the point of Alliance High Elves. They're proud in the sense that they kept to their convictions just as the Blood Elves did. But they are more often seen mingling with other races and considering themselves as equals rather than as being above them (which the Blood Elves do the reverse).

And yeah while Light/Void is a dynamic to be explored, it is a very black/white thing. Light/Void cannot co-exist together (as we see it affects relationships like Alleria and Turalyon) and a void being and light being will forever be opposed to each other. How is that honestly compelling? It's literally black and white. It's just as black and white as being someone who thinks every member of a race thinks 100% the same altogether. There's truly not much originality to black/whites like that as opposed to shades of gray.

This is why Light is starting to be shown in an oppressive manner and Void is starting to be shown in a helpful manner, but those concepts have nothing to do with the interactions of Light-Void which are black/white.

You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. I find it interesting to play this race of Elves who are carrying on a name/title as a callback to their previous society when they actually have no lands or power within that previous kingdom and have put all their eggs into their Ally's basket. They don't back down against their former society even when they are the vast minority, all the while having great camaraderie among old friends (and even new ones).

Maybe there are those that find it boring, but I find it very compelling to play a race that is the minority who decided that the path their kingdom was going down wasn't for them and gave up all they had because of the principle of the matter (as well as some also being exiled from the kingdom for it). There is no "right vs wrong" when it comes to the divide that was created by High Elves and Blood Elves, it was merely a choice of being pragmatic and being idealistic. It's compelling in the same way you see Sylvanas discussion happening around about whether she's a villain or anti-hero. There are arguments to be made for and against on both sides there which is the compelling part, and this applies to High Elves and Blood Elves as well.

Being able to play out this race (High Elves) lets players have the ability to experience one of the most contentious decisions and rivalries made in Warcraft to this day.
    Honestly for me its just such a wasted opportunity TBH. And part of me thinks they could have least find a better balance if they had made the Silver Covenant into Void Elves. Not the most elegant solution, but it would have added a more blatant layer to their distinction, and made their political contrast also have the subtext of theur diverging paths have a literal cosmic representation.

It would have been far more interesting than Void Elves out of the ass.

Yeah just because there are some folks who say they consider Alliance High Elves as "true High Elves" doesn't mean every one of us does. I find it pretty useless to refer to them that way anyway. What is a "true High Elf" anyway? It misses the point of Alliance High Elves. They're proud in the sense that they kept to their convictions just as the Blood Elves did. But they are more often seen mingling with other races and considering themselves as equals rather than as being above them (which the Blood Elves do the reverse).

And yeah while Light/Void is a dynamic to be explored, it is a very black/white thing. Light/Void cannot co-exist together (as we see it affects relationships like Alleria and Turalyon) and a void being and light being will forever be opposed to each other. How is that honestly compelling? It's literally black and white. It's just as black and white as being someone who thinks every member of a race thinks 100% the same altogether. There's truly not much originality to black/whites like that as opposed to shades of gray.

This is why Light is starting to be shown in an oppressive manner and Void is starting to be shown in a helpful manner, but those concepts have nothing to do with the interactions of Light-Void which are black/white.
    There is potential on the Void/Light dynamic, buy the thing is that is a completely removed theme that didn't have to be about Thalassian Elves? Specially since we have seen nothing about it so far, so it only exists as a thematic contrast with no substance for now, which feels like a waste, given that so much more interesting stuff could have been done on an expansion so focused on faction War with the High/Blood Elf divide. It really just feels like a wasted opportinity.

Like I hope they do something interesting with the Light/Void dichotomy, but yeah, it didn't have to be a about elves that already had an interesting conflict, and even still, it's hard to think the Light/Void thing won't end up playing the political division either way cause they literally made Void Elves another exiled group.

Missed opportunity form every angle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strippling View Post
    "Look sexy on mog" was confirmed when a multitude of high elf fans were happy with the possibility of void elfs getting high elf customization (following Alex's comment). IF it were about the lore, the vast majority of high elf fans would have opposed this idea. Instead, only a small minority don't like the idea as opposed to the many who would be happy with a high elf skin for void elfs.
    Post your statistics.

Come on, now you are just generalized based on the opinion of some High Elf fans. How is that fair? Like for example I am down for added HE customization on VE's ONLY if it has the lore reason of actual High Elves joining the Void Elves, because I feel it sufficiently follows up High Elven lore.
    Not generalized bud. The post count of high elf fans FOR void elf customization was far greater than high elfs AGAINST the customization options. Don't believe me? Go count for yourself. Only a handful of people were against this idea... some were downright against it and said "high elfs AR only" and some said "only if high elf lore is included (such as yourself)". Most people were content with this customization idea, suggesting that for most high elf fans it was always about the aesthetics and lore has only been a bonus (per se). Which like I've said, if it's about the lore than NPC only high elfs is fine, as their story can continue through that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ddi View Post
    Post your statistics.
    Go count for yourself. If you're too lazy to, then don't try act smug
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

Deleted
    Go count for yourself. If you're too lazy to, then don't try act smug
    Surely that means you then weren't too lazy to count, since you act so knowledgeable and smug yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll remind you that it was a high elf fan who brought in non WoW content to try and define what a WoW high elf is.
    Blood elves are our high elves - Chris Metzen

7+ Year Old Account
    I'll remind you that it was a high elf fan who brought in non WoW content to try and define what a WoW high elf is.
    Yes because Blizzard themselves have never drawn parallels from any other fantasy universes.

Eh, by the time of my response we were back on the WoW context of things so it was like coming back to a tangent that had been brought to show a concept that could work on the WoW setting, and my latter response was to shoehorning WoW's elves into specific Warhammer concepts 1:1 rather than FlubberPuddyy's original "inspiration"D&D post.

its pointless to add high elves cause they make zero sense. According to lore high elves ARE the blood elves, they only changed their cause the massacre that arthas caused over the sunwell story, the only possibility is to add blood elves to the alliance that defect from the horde but also refuse to embrasse the void but good luck explaing that to the casual player. The most logical step is to move blood elves as whole to alliance and rename them but good luck for that to happen. So all in all no reason to discuss this, cool concept, cant work though

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrom View Post
    its pointless to add high elves cause they make zero sense. According to lore high elves ARE the blood elves, they only changed their cause the massacre that arthas caused over the sunwell story, the only possibility is to add blood elves to the alliance that defect from the horde but also refuse to embrasse the void but good luck explaing that to the casual player. The most logical step is to move blood elves as whole to alliance and rename them but good luck for that to happen. So all in all no reason to discuss this, cool concept, cant work though
    But... High Elves are on the alliance right now, lore-wise. There's high elf mages on the airship in the arathi warfront. There's a high elf island squad.. And they aren't blood elves.

So all in all, you're misinformed or miseducated and you should maybe listen more to the arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    But... High Elves are on the alliance right now, lore-wise. There's high elf mages on the airship in the arathi warfront. There's a high elf island squad.. And they aren't blood elves.

So all in all, you're misinformed or miseducated and you should maybe listen more to the arguments.
    I bet it has been explained multiple times to people like you, but I try again. These are NPCs. Blizzard is fine with having the High Elves be NPCs. Not every race out there is suited to be a playable race. Not every race which could be a playable race brings something new and special to the roster of playable races to be considered. I also have some races on my wishlist which I would love to have. Races which have been much more prominent in the game than High Elves. I would love to have playable Eredar in the Horde, for example. These would have added much more uniqueness then another flavour of Orcs or Tauren do. But it's not for me to decide, and I will not go down as low as some people and will try to campaign to get my wish like some immature child.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post

Dark Elves, Druchii, not Chaos Elves. They were retconned later into non chaos affiliated. Just Khaine love.

That's why if anything them High Elf boys need some new background and theme yo.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I would slap some titan shit onto them. Anything would work to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post

There are four. The High Elf Magister who opens portals, Frost fencer Seraphi who is one third of a team that also includes a Human and a Night Elf and there are two nameless NPCs who shield the airship and stay on the airship and play no other role in the battle.

Nobody is denying that High Elves exist on the Alliance. But they exist in incredibly low numbers. The fact you are able to identify in two examples the High Elf presence on the Alliance in BFA confirms their miniscule presence. They are so rare that when they are seen, people make a big deal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    Not sure why you guys are even talking to Obelisk Kai. I mean, he said this...

There is no discussion that can be had with him that's worth your time.
    Just feel sorry for him. He spends way, WAY too much time and energy on these forums, and especially this topic.