Deleted

Sir Ken Dodd: Comedy legend dies, aged 90

I was never a fan but RIP

Sir Ken Dodd, creator of the Diddy Men and one of the most popular comedians of his time, has died aged 90.

The Liverpool legend had recently been released from hospital after six weeks of treatment for a chest infection.

On Friday, he had married Anne Jones, his partner of 40 years, at their house, the same one he grew up in, in the Liverpool suburb of Knotty Ash.

Lady Anne described him as "a most life-enhancing, brilliant, creative comedian".

Speaking outside their home, she said Sir Ken "just wanted to make people happy".

She added: "I have lost a most wonderful husband. He lived to perfect his art and entertain his live and adoring audiences.

"I've been overwhelmed by the love and affection which I've already received from dear friends and the public."

Liverpool Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram tweeted his condolences and recalled he had been "the butt of some of his gags" at Sir Ken's recent 90th birthday celebrations at the Town Hall.

A book of condolence has opened at the Town Hall, with mayor Joe Anderson tweeting: "We are comforted by the joy and happiness he brought the world."

The flags at several buildings in Liverpool - including the Town Hall, St George's Hall, Cunard Building and Central Library - are also flying at half mast as a mark of respect.
    More in link for those interested

Deleted
    Dodd might be dead but the Diddymen live on.