Random Screen "Freezes" After Updating Video Card Driver

Hi, I play on a gaming laptop with a GTX 960m GPU (Eluktronics N170RD1 Pro Premium Gaming Laptop). I updated my video card driver yesterday (Date of the release was late February, 2018, I believe) and registered for Nvidia control (so it supposedly checks for optimization based on games). Everything was fine (I don't really see any improvements, with that said), until we got to Aggramar and I was constantly experiencing short freezing (anywhere from 0.5 seconds to 2 seconds) during the fight. The freezing continued during Argus, albeit less frequently, as well as after the raid was over in Dalaran. One thing I noticed was that my FPS was shooting up to 100+ , when it should be maxed out at 60 FPS, according to Video setting in WoW menu while running in windowed mode. After I enabled verticle sync (this was not enabled before), it returned to being at 60 FPS more consistently, and random freeze seems to have been less frequent but still takes place (and this can very well be placebo effect).

The reason I was checking for updates was that before the update, I noticed a significant FPS drop on Mythic Argus that, while playable, makes my performance significantly worse than it can be. But right now, I am a bit afraid that the random freezing actually would make it worse. Since I have about 2-3 hours to look into it, I don't want to do anything too risky. What are things I should check for? Please let me know if you need any additional information. thank you

You could use DDU and then reinstall the latest driver, or go to an older version.

Are you using driver number 391.01? If yes, uninstall it with DDU and install something older. Its an extremely buggy driver.
    Last edited by Adlian; 2018-03-08 at 07:05 PM.

Look for hotfix driver 391.05 if you have issues with the current one.

thanks for the help. I am using 3.91.01 and will try the .05 update

- - - Updated - - -

Updated driver to 391.05. The situation has reverted but I'm also back at 10 FPS for Argus mythic on lowest settings and I don't think that should be the capability of my machine. Any insights? thanks

Coming back for help still. We did farm this week and I tested out my graphic setting with driver 391.05. All other fights are unaffected except Mythic Argus where I will run into very significant FPS drop (down to 1-5 FPS, sometimes it just freezes for a few seconds) at certain points of the fight.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can try to test?

10+ Year Old Account
    The latest Windows 10 update fixes an issue you describe.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4088776

• Addresses issue to prevent media and other applications from becoming unresponsive or failing when upgrading graphics drivers.

Well, while playing GOW 2 on my Windows 7 PC, i got my screen freezing occasionally, and i was told by my colleague that its nothing else but a DX problem. So i looked for an outsourced way to get it and updated straightaway. Then again played the game it worked like a charm. I don't know may be that's the issue in your case. But you may alwasy try. Microsoft doesn't offer standalone setup for DX 11 . so i did it through Google. Hope the link be working for you.
    https://webforpc.com/software/drivers/directx-11/