Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Vegan woman sues neighbors for BBQing

sigh... vegans.

A woman in Western Australia has tried to stop her neighbours from using their barbecues by suing them in court.

Perth woman Cilla Carden claimed that their activities - among them barbecuing and smoking -as well as their noisy children, breached residential laws.

She sought legal orders to prevent the alleged nuisances from continuing.

A tribunal, and the state's highest court, rejected her claims as unreasonable and lacking in evidence.

Her list of demands also included orders for a family living next door, and another neighbour, to reduce their patio lighting, silence their pets and to replace plants in the common garden.

Noisy neighbours 'top nuisance list'
    Neighbours 'fed up' over cockerel's call
    The couple banned from staring through windows
    She alleged that wafting smells of cigarettes and barbecues had caused "undue offence" to her in her home in the Perth suburb of Girrawheen, according to a Supreme Court of Western Australia judgement published in July.

"They've put [the barbecue] there so I smell fish - all I can smell is fish," Ms Carden, who is a vegan, told Nine News on Monday.

"I can't enjoy my backyard, I can't go out there," she said.

'They are living in their home as a family'
    The State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia rejected her demands in a case hearing in February - including a request for her neighbour's children to be quiet when playing outside.

"The Tribunal does not accept that [the parents], by allowing their children to play in the backyard... use the patio for small scooters or toys, constitutes reasonably a nuisance," the tribunal said.

"What they are doing is living in their backyard and their home as a family."

The tribunal also noted that the same family had already moved their barbecue prior to the hearing in an attempt to appease Ms Carden.

"[They] have not allowed the children out at night, have not used the patio at night, and have not turned on the lights for several months for fear of reprisals from the applicant," the tribunal said.

Ms Carden challenged the tribunal's decision in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in March.

In handing down his rejection in July, the judge noted that she had submitted close to 400 pages in her appeal.

"The volume of material that she has produced... suggests that these matters have to an extent become somewhat overwhelming," Chief Justice Peter Quinlan said.

Ms Carden told Australian media she plans on taking further legal action.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49560208
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Sounds like a regular leftist. Offended by everything and trying to stop everyone from living their lives because everyone does something that offends them.

She wrote 400 pages about how the BBQ and the kids of the neighbors annoy her?

Lock her up in a mental institution for a few years where professionals can help her
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

I can sympathise as someone who has to endure neighbourly noise and cigarette stench within my apartment. Looking at this objectively though, the woman is blowing it way out of proportions. I'd be content to have peace within the walls of my home, but a yard is a yard, an open space under the sky. You can't realistically limit noise and odour in such conditions with other measures than those you take on your own (such as noise-cancelling earphones and incense). Also, demanding others to mellow their lifestyles down for you is a double-edged sword, because then you yourself can't live lavishly either.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Vegans are really being targeted by the media lately. As if wanting to limit the suffering of animals to the largest extent possible is such an outrageous, radical notion. But it is amusing to see bible thumpers get so worked up when they find out somebody is vegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo Hasashi View Post
    Sounds like a regular leftist. Offended by everything and trying to stop everyone from living their lives because everyone does something that offends them.
    Pretty much but that's the far left. Crazies on both sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Vegans are really being targeted by the media lately. As if wanting to limit the suffering of animals to the largest extent possible is such an outrageous, radical notion. But it is amusing to see bible thumpers get so worked up when they find out somebody is vegan.
    Most vegans are hypocrites. Reminds me of PETA.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Vegans aren't targeted for their culinary preferences. Those that do get targeted are some major preacy cunts who think their shit doesn't smell and who look down on everyone who isn't sharing their tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Oh piss off on to your own side of the fence - rude - but would be my answer.

As a man who likes to cook, I wouldn't give a damn.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I would BBQ everyday if she was my neighbor.

If I was forced to smell fish all day long I’d take issue as well.

"What they are doing is living in their backyard and their home as a family."
    Based on prior experience with vegans and their general sentiments on humans, this is exactly why she's so upset.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    A true Aussie neighbour would tell her to fuck off.

BBQ's can get pretty rowdy. If they were frequent enough and the noise/smell was excessive then I can understand the desire to take issue with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Oh please. I'd be looking for any possible building code violation. I would not want to just annoy her.
    i would be cooking prime rib eye every day all day outside.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    title is somewhat misleading, it is not, or barely, about meat. It is just the classic nuisance of neighbours.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I'd turn around and sue the vegan for eating up too much green space.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo Hasashi View Post
    No that is what we call a raging cuntbag, they exist in all walks of like life.

Every time I see this thread, I just keep thinking to myself the Neighbors are saying it's time to throw another "Shrimp on the barbie".

I can understand the cigarette smoke, because that shit is nasty.
    As for the rest, yeah, she needs help.

I kind of want to read her lunacy