View Poll Results: Should married couples be using Contraceptives?

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes, female contraceptives

18 48.65%
  • Yes, Male contraceptives

10 27.03%
  • No, once you are married this shouldn't be an issue

1 2.70%
  • Other methods

8 21.62%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    After the second kid, my wife and I employed the best form of BC until my surgery. Anal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holycloud
    That being said, the conversation has arisen that as my wife is nearing 30 she feels it is unhealthy for her to be taking birth control (oral pills) and would like to stop
    My ex had bad reactions to oral contraceptives and neither of us wanted kids. I got a vasectomy in early to mid 20s and don't regret it.

With that said, I was married to her for more than 20 years and I feel it was the correct decision; however, I'm now about to remarry and 2.1 is determined that 1) she wants a kid, 2) she wants to start by having my vasectomy reversed. That being the case, I've had to dig in and look at predictions for a reversal. One caution that seems to be fairly consistent is that while women are having children later in life now, the woman's age is an important factor. It sounds like you and your wife would like to put off having children for long enough that her age might become a mild obstacle. Since you know that's how your plans are going, you might consult with a physician to see if you want to do something like bank eggs now.

Addendum: For my part, I'm neutral on having kids. I'm content with the quasi-adoptive daughters (long story) I have, but they've gotten me used to the idea to the point that I am alright with 2.1's desire to have kids of our own. I've watched her with her sister's kids and she is good with them.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    My ex had bad reactions to oral contraceptives and neither of us wanted kids. I got a vasectomy in early to mid 20s and don't regret it.

With that said, I was married to her for more than 20 years and I feel it was the correct decision; however, I'm now about to remarry and 2.1 is determined that 1) she wants a kid, 2) she wants to start by having my vasectomy reversed. That being the case, I've had to dig in and look at predictions for a reversal. One caution that seems to be fairly consistent is that while women are having children later in life now, the woman's age is an important factor. It sounds like you and your wife would like to put off having children for long enough that her age might become a mild obstacle. Since you know that's how your plans are going, you might consult with a physician to see if you want to do something like bank eggs now.

Addendum: For my part, I'm neutral on having kids. I'm content with the quasi-adoptive daughters (long story) I have, but they've gotten me used to the idea to the point that I am alright with 2.1's desire to have kids of our own. I've watched her with her sister's kids and she is good with them.
    Hope it works out well for you on the reversal.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther
    Hope it works out well for you on the reversal.
    Thanks! Surgery is always subject to a number of factors, but even for a reversal after a number of years it seems there are reasonable odds:
    Debunking a popular myth about vasectomy, a new study by physician-scientists at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center finds that vasectomy reversal is highly effective, even 15 years or more after the vas deferens, the tube that carries sperm, is blocked. The study, published in the January Journal of Urology, documents the highest pregnancy rates following vasectomy of any study to date.

Whether a man had a vasectomy this year or 15 years ago, there was no difference in the pregnancy rate achieved following a vasectomy reversal, with an average 84-percent likelihood of pregnancy over two years, the study finds. (Comparatively, healthy men without vasectomy can expect a pregnancy rate of 90 percent.) Previous studies have demonstrated pregnancy rates following vasectomy reversal of only 50-60 percent, a difference that can be attributed to advances in vasectomy-reversal techniques. The study also finds that at intervals of greater than 15 years, the pregnancy rate dropped to 44 percent.

"Vasectomy is not a permanent condition. For men who had a vasectomy less than 15 years ago, a reversal will result in a much higher pregnancy rate than sperm aspiration and in vitro fertilization (IVF) with intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI). Even at intervals greater than 15 years, reversal outcomes will equal or exceed those of IVF with ICSI," says Dr. Marc Goldstein, the study's lead author, Professor of Reproductive Medicine and Urology at Weill Cornell Medical College, and Surgeon-in-Chief of Male Reproductive Medicine and Microsurgery at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. IVF with ICSI results in pregnancy rates of up to 50 percent per attempt at the best centers, and may take two or three tries to achieve one pregnancy.

"Additionally, vasectomy reversal is a more cost-effective option, especially for couples seeking more than one child," adds Dr. Goldstein. "IVF with ICSI typically costs approximately two to three times more than vasectomy reversal. And, unlike IVF with ICSI, a reversal is covered by health insurance in certain states, including New York."
    Source: http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2004...after-15-years

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom
    This is why it’s important for men to set aside sperm if they plan to have a vasectomy.
    With couples having children later, and with questions about the effect of environmental factors, I wonder if this isn't something that should be considered by more people in general. I'm comfortable with the decision I made. That was a couple of decades and continents back in my past, banked sperm would have been a gamble. On the other hand, I do note that this is addressed as part of the reversal advice:

When a reversal is performed, a sample of sperm can be obtained and frozen which can be used for IVF in case the reversal is unsuccessful. It is easy to do and adds little cost to the procedure. Make sure to discuss this with your surgeon since a repeat testicular surgery would be needed if the reversal does not work. Results are not immediate and may take 12 to 24 months to see the benefit of surgery.
    Source: http://www.ivfservicesthailand.com/v...perm-reversal/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.