Poll: Do you want to live forever choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    How do you come up with all of these hypothetical scenarios?
    I have a theory that Mall Security is a sentient artificial intelligence who is trying to learn all it can about the human race in order to pinpoint our weaknesses in preparation for the eventual robot uprising.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, if I don't die from old age or disease, please put a bullet in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Being immortal is in and of itself a curse, everyone you get to know and love will eventually die in a *relatively* short space of time, compared to you. Eventually you'll probably just want to die with them but...you can't, no matter what you do you will be around forever, floating in space after the earth gets imploded by the andromeda galaxy in 2.5b years or so. From there you will literally be stuck in the middle of a black hole with nothing but darkness for the rest of your unfortunately miserable existence.
    Until, ofcourse, such a time comes when the next big bang occurs and you can *maybe* start to watch the birth of another universe. Unfortunately for you, you have another 9.5 billion years until you *might* be able to somehow get dragged into the nearest gravity of a galaxy of which you *might* be lucky enough to land on a planet inhabited by "lifeforms" that you can atleast engage in.

So yeah, I'll take neither option
    Or maybe he is talking about immortality as in using an indefinite life extension technique instead of physics breaking immortality.

In which case all those problems would vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Says who? Who’s experience do we have to prove such a thing? I get the concept as a philosophic conclusion. But there are no cases to study to prove it.
    And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want it to be proven.

After so long in time, and a person has experienced everything that is permissible in society, I'm pretty sure that such a person is going to want to branch out his/her senses and do things that society wouldn't accept. Things that in essence lack humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Live forever but there’s a catch.

You get two options:

Reverse age. Option. A. Once you’ve reached age 75 or whatever age you like you take a simple growth hormone and it starts a process for which you will grow younger at the same pace as you are now only the other direction All the way unless you are injected with a anti hormone. Otherwise you would keep growing younger until you shrank and desolved into goo.

Artificial Womb. Option. B. You go into an incubator that mimics all the conditions that went into your birth except for a few details isolated in the process to keep you, you. However everything else is rebuilt, when you come out you are in premium condition forever. You’re stronger, faster and smarter than you ever been, but to maintain this superior state you can no longer eat regular food. No no you couldn’t eat enough energy before your organs burst to maintain this new body. You have to eat special diet of super food. Failure to do so and your new body will fall apart faster than you did previously with more pain. Oh and the food you need isn’t cheap.

So which would you choose?

Do you want to live forever for a price?
    I need some clarification.

With the hormone, is there any set time when I have to take it and the anti-hormone? Can I only start de-aging once I've reached a decrepifying age and have to go back to infancy, or can I (for example) keep bouncing between the biological ages of 20 and 30?

With the second one, how much more expensive is the super-food I need to survive, are we talking about 50% more, 100% more or some major figure where my life would have to fundamentally change in order to afford to live? Also can I eat regular food for enjoyment or will my new body only accept the super-stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reverse age. Option. A. Once you’ve reached age 75 or whatever age you like you take a simple growth hormone and it starts a process for which you will grow younger at the same pace as you are now only the other direction All the way unless you are injected with a anti hormone. ]
    So, is there any reason I can't just at, say age 35, take the 'reversing hormone', at which point around age 30, I just take the anti hormone, and just every 5 years keep switching which I'm on?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

These caveats defeat the phrase' live forever'

A. B locks you into poverty. No disease is more ruinous than poverty.

A only has bonus with the same finality as if you had done nothing. So why choose to do nothing and die of old age (mundane) or live worse off than previously (mundane)? The only rational option is A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I need some clarification.

With the hormone, is there any set time when I have to take it and the anti-hormone? Can I only start de-aging once I've reached a decrepifying age and have to go back to infancy, or can I (for example) keep bouncing between the biological ages of 20 and 30?

With the second one, how much more expensive is the super-food I need to survive, are we talking about 50% more, 100% more or some major figure where my life would have to fundamentally change in order to afford to live? Also can I eat regular food for enjoyment or will my new body only accept the super-stuff?
    For the purposes of this question yes. You choose when you take the the hormone technology whenever you choose, so yes you could keep bouncing between 20 and 30.

With the second scenario you simply require a mutated specifically formulated food. Because you need the energy the calories. The major downside is that there is no naturally the grown or barely processed food. Your cells your body need an accelerated fuel.

If you eat regular food you would have to consume more of it. 500 Twinkies won’t cut it. You could eat that but what happens to others would happen to you faster and cause more damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    How do you come up with all of these hypothetical scenarios?
    UHF and too many Twilight Zone marathons as a kid
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    Worse catch, you can live forever but you have to watch bee movie once a day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A. B locks you into poverty. No disease is more ruinous than poverty.

A only has bonus with the same finality as if you had done nothing. So why choose to do nothing and die of old age (mundane) or live worse off than previously (mundane)? The only rational option is A.
    But being stronger, faster and smarter. Think about it you could bench press a bulldozer, leave Usain Bolt in his tracks you could literally run dozens of nor hundreds of calculations in you head simultaneously, remember the finest details of a piece of art and remember entire languages in minutes. No?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Worse catch, you can live forever but you have to watch bee movie once a day
    lol there’s some great terrible movies though.

Option B just cause it makes me smarter.
    I'd probably run it into the ground real fast but have a blast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So, is there any reason I can't just at, say age 35, take the 'reversing hormone', at which point around age 30, I just take the anti hormone, and just every 5 years keep switching which I'm on?
    Yep you could although every 5 Years seems pretty often. I didn’t make price part of the question, but I’d imagine if real the each pair of shots wouldn’t be cheap. Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep you could although every 5 Years seems pretty often. I didn’t make price part of the question, but I’d imagine if real the each pair of shots wouldn’t be cheap. Lol
    Well, even then, even bouncing between 20 and 60, every 40 years do a $50k shot... That seems entirely manageable.

Just about every fiction with immortals (vampires, gods, etc), after a couple hundred years, unless you're an idiot, you're probably stupidly wealthy.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

But being stronger, faster and smarter. Think about it you could bench press a bulldozer, leave Usain Bolt in his tracks you could literally run dozens of nor hundreds of calculations in you head simultaneously, remember the finest details of a piece of art and remember entire languages in minutes. No?
    That's just changing the parameters. The premise does not specify the degree to which one would be 'stronger, faster., smarter'. If it such is enough to eliminate poverty than there is no choice to make, there is only one choice and mentioning the cost of the food is a disingenuous red herring.

The premise as presented assumes that the cost of the food is a downside to the benefit. Were it not there would no need to even type it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Well, even then, even bouncing between 20 and 60, every 40 years do a $50k shot... That seems entirely manageable.

Just about every fiction with immortals (vampires, gods, etc), after a couple hundred years, unless you're an idiot, you're probably stupidly wealthy.
    True could be a real investment so no option B huh. Artificial womb having your bone, tissue and organs along with body system upgraded on a cell level? No go huh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's just changing the parameters. The premise does not specify the degree to which one would be 'stronger, faster., smarter'. If it such is enough to eliminate poverty than there is no choice to make, there is only one choice and mentioning the cost of the food is a disingenuous red herring.

The premise as presented assumes that the cost of the food is a downside to the benefit. Were it not there would no need to even type it out.
    Oh yeah you are completely correct. No right or wrong answer just figured you for more of an adventurer. But you’re also very practical. Great points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Nether. I am already going to exist forever.
    John 3:16 that’s enough of this journey for you when it ends. understood

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    Or maybe he is talking about immortality as in using an indefinite life extension technique instead of physics breaking immortality.

In which case all those problems would vanish.
    You mean via transplants and the like? Surely at some point your brain has to give out though right? I cannot imagine a time where you can transistion your "being" into another body without your brain. I'm not being pedantic, just curious to think about it .

the biggest catch here is that apparently its only you who gets to be immortal. so you get to watch your loved ones die, while you go on without them. and on. and on. I chose option c. no thank you either way. watching my dogs die is bad enough. watching everyone die over and over and over while i keep living? meh. unless I can make those i love immortal along with me, I don't want this.

oh yeah, bonus catch. am I rich immortal? or just immortal who is constantly broke and struggling?

bro what the hell are you smoking.

#1 sounds allright tho. Better believe I'd be enjoying traveling back into youth again.

Don't even need to read your "Catch"... No. I would NEVER want to live forever.