Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    In the US, the long (formal) format is [Weekday,] <Month> <Day>, <Year>.
    That's just downright retarded, he's right with what he said. The fact that it's the only country doing it this illogical way is proof enough. As for DMY, you're supposed to read it as "15 March 2017", not "15th of March, 2017".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Nothing is worse than "Addicting" instead of addictive. Its like nails on a chalk board to me.
    This!

But otherwise I couldn't care less.
    Here is something to believe in!

This doesn't even make sense. A quarter to 10 would be 9:45,
    If the 'excuse' for saying 3-15 as being the same order as March 15, then logically the same argument can be said for 15:10 being quarter (15) to 10.

That is ... it is a lame excuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    And when your country becomes the single strongest country in the world
    And that - in one sentence summarises what annoys the planet earth about the one petulant country doing things different just because they are 'biggest'.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I could care less still works, though. I don't know why people get so angry about it.
    Wrong slang. It's supposed to be "I couldn't care less" - because I have no interest. "I could care less" means there is some interest.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20care%20less

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    The fact that it's the only country doing it this illogical way is proof enough.
    Except that it's not.

As for DMY, you're supposed to read it as "15 March 2017", not "15th of March, 2017".
    The format is for how it's read and spoken. We don't say, "Five March Two-Thousand Seventeen," we say, "March Fifteenth, Two-Thousand Seventeen". Thus, "March 15, 2017" is both logically and colloquially accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If the 'excuse' for saying 3-15 as being the same order as March 15, then logically the same argument can be said for 15:10 being quarter (15) to 10.

That is ... it is a lame excuse.
    That's not how logic works. Just because I like blue eyes doesn't mean I like blue hair. The time format is consistent because we read and speak it that way. Phrases like "quarter to 10" aren't really that prevalent because it's more efficient and logical to say, "Nine Forty-Five". With dates, actually saying, "Fifteen March" is grammatically inaccurate because with dates, cardinal numbers are used for the written form while ordinal numbers are used for the spoken form. In our example, the correct way to say it is to use the ordinal along with "of", which would make it, "the fifteenth of March". However, this isn't really that efficient in the vernacular so we say, "March Fifteenth" (ordinal) and write, "March 15" (cardinal).

And that - in one sentence summarises what annoys the planet earth about the one petulant country doing things different just because they are 'biggest'.
    It's our country. You don't have to like it and we don't have to care.

That's not how logic works.
    It is in most places...

It's our country. You don't have to like it and we don't have to care.
    See - that's exactly the attitude I'm referring to. That attitude that is a self admission that you are not part of planet earth, yet have the biggest impact on planet earth.

The sort of attitude that has a person on a life raft jumping up and down going "freedom - I want to jump up and down, and it is my body and you don't have to like it".

That 40% of the US that is in a state of continual delusion - makes it damn hard for the other 60% of the US and the rest of the world.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

That's just downright retarded, he's right with what he said. The fact that it's the only country doing it this illogical way is proof enough. As for DMY, you're supposed to read it as "15 March 2017", not "15th of March, 2017".
    there are several different formats

7+ Year Old Account
    It is in most places...
    It's really not.

See - that's exactly the attitude I'm referring to. That attitude that is a self admission that you are not part of planet earth, yet have the biggest impact on planet earth.
    No, it's not. It's me saying, "We don't have an obligation to care what you think." We don't need you to "like" us.

How is that retarded?

What day is it today? "It's Saturday March 17th" why is that retarded?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    It's also a brand of sliced bread.

- - - Updated - - -

Spot the odd one out:

Magnesium
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Beryllium
    Aluminum
    that one is quite different because the person who discovered aluminum did indeed name it aluminum it was then changed later to aluminium to match. So America just stuck with the original spelling the person who discovered it went with. I really don't see that as a major problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    you mean when we say it properly?
    Aluminum vs Aluminium there is no this is the proper way! because it originally was indeed called and spelled as aluminum it was only changed later to aluminium however that doesn't invalidate the fact it originally was aluminum.

Middle/bottom/top on date formats (3/15/2018)
    Oh yeah, I mean really of all the ways to arrange dates that has to be the worst.

YYYY-MM-DD sorts everything properly
    DD-MM-YYYY is smallest unit to largest
    MM-DD-YYYY is... ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    It's not any different than saying "I'm going to college (university)"
    But I agree it hits the ear wrong.
    mm no... see

I'm going to university over in America would be taken as "I am currently enrolled in a university"

whereas in England it could be taken as "I'm going to university because I have class today"

This is mostly to be consistent with the formal/written form, eg March 15, 2018. We say, "March 15, 2018", not "15 March, 2018", which is illogical. As far as pure data goes, logically and chronologically it would be year-month-date, eg, 2018-03-15.
    In British English, you can say "15th of March" or "March 15th", but you write it 15/3.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In British English, you can say "15th of March" or "March 15th", but you write it 15/3.
    And that's fine. We happen to prefer consistency over flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    honestly this demanding Americans organize the date in a certain way is just stupid and petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I could care less still works, though. I don't know why people get so angry about it.
    Means you do care a little

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Means you do care a little
    I don't have a problem with I could care less if it is used to mean I care but not that much I'll listen but just know it's really not important to me but I care enough to hear you out.

And that's fine. We happen to prefer consistency over flair.
    Don't you also sometimes say "15th of March"?

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys keep saying 'Ides of March' wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I could care less is always said sarcastically, or "I could care less(but it would be hard.)" intonation.

So you're whinging for the sake of it.
    no it's really not, it's people totally fucking up the meaning of it, then since it's 2018 admitting you're wrong is so last millennium, just deny everything and fight pointlessly to be right on something you're wrong about lol.

"I could care less" is something that ignorant people say. I mean this in a nice way, because anyone who puts thought into that corrects it into being, "I couldn't care less." This isn't an Americanism, because many Americans use the correct phrase.

Ironically, when people say "I could care less" incorrectly, they are probably being ironically accurate. If they truly couldn't care less, they wouldn't need to talk about it further.