Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HawtFist View Post
    Hello. I created an account when I read this, as I've noted a couple other people before you commenting on "should of." I've only been doing WoW for less than a year over the past few years, so I wouldn't normally feel comfortable posting in a forum like this, but I have to tell you, it isn't "should of." It's "should've." The contraction for "should have" is "should've." Because of most American accents it just sounds like "should of." I admit some people use "should of," which is terrible and wrong, but most of us are saying "should've," I think.

Also, "y'all" used to bug the crap out of me, but now I live near Texas and it's starting to grow on me. It's incredibly useful for referring to a group of people (second person plural). I used to use "you guys" or "your company" or "your office" and so on. But "y'all" takes care of that nicely. It's no different than "they'll" in my opinion (as in "they'll get you if you're rolling dirty").
    I'm aware the should of version is the written version. even in this forum there are so many that write "should of" instead of the proper way.
    It's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Levyan View Post
    I love how people split hairs about this so much, when we have much more unusual words that are even more misleading that are used by everyone. Not just ignorant people saying phrases incorrectly. Bathroom, for instance, which is also just called a full bath, 3/4 bath or 1/2 bath. This is not even mentioning that many "bathrooms" have no bathtubs.
    Bathrooms are called that because that's where you bathe not because there's a bathtub in there. Bathe: wash with water. A shower is another place where you can bathe. Even in 1/2 baths (this is a shortening of bathroom, not implying there's a bathtub in there) you have a sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Good to know watchmojoUK is just as stupid as the watchmojo in America.

Imagine being an adult and actually routinely watching stuff like this.
    That applies to YouTube period - let's not try and suggest majority of YT is highbrow

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That applies to YouTube period - let's not try and suggest majority of YT is highbrow
    Making up top 10 lists on subjects as stupid as "top 10 times celebrities spilled soup on themselves", that are directed specifically at children with 2 second attention spans doesn't apply to all of YouTube period, though.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    As an American, I'm always perplexed when I hear British or Australian people pronounce a word ending with "A" as "err" - for some reason it grates on me. Also pronouncing the "h" in "herb" - though, I do believe we Americans (and Canadians?) that are the ones pronouncing it "wrong" in that case.

"Jessicker, did you try any different herbs while on holiday in Americker?"

However, also as an American, it bothers me that we pronounce the letter Z as "zee" when nearly all (if not all) other English-speaking countries pronounce it "zedd."
    Indeed.

I know this is not every British dialect, as they are a diverse lot. But the subtraction of Rs in words like car becoming "cah" and the addition of them in words like banana becoming "banana-er" is down right maddening.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2018-03-19 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pro...lish/aluminium yet the cambridge dictionary also has the other way of writing it (the way we write it also in germany)

Edit:
    NVM, just saw you discussed that already
    Humphrey S. Davy, the British chemist who first proved the nature of the material was metal, chose aluminum as the final name, after the Latin nomenclature of iron (ferrum), gold (aurum), silver (argentum) and lead (plumbum). The spelling with the extra 'i' is a fabrication of rival scientists that does not have a logical etymology.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Humphrey S. Davy, the British chemist who first proved the nature of the material was metal, chose aluminum as the final name, after the Latin nomenclature of iron (ferrum), gold (aurum), silver (argentum) and lead (plumbum). The spelling with the extra 'i' is a fabrication of rival scientists that does not have a logical etymology.
    As you have showed, Latin nomenclature has very little use, lots of those names have been changed and remain only as the source for the symbol, probably to mess with young students head.

Quickly going through the periodic table in English, skipping Aluminium, I counted around 70 elements whose names end in ium, and 3 ending in um (Lanthanum, Molybdenum, Tantalum). Seems pretty clear which follow the rule, and which are the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arunu View Post
    I'm aware the should of version is the written version. even in this forum there are so many that write "should of" instead of the proper way.
    It's annoying.
    It is annoying, and those people should have to be forced to get a brazilian wax as punishment. Unless they already do that, and it wouldn't bother them much, in which case some sort of severe sunburn seems appropriate.

And those elements are still based on Latin words. For example, Helium from Helios, the sun. The 'i' comes from the base word. It's not part of the suffix. In this case the name is derived from the Latin word alumin, the full name of the preserving salt alum (which turned out to be the sulfate of the base metal). So the only way it would end in -ium is if the 'n' was truncated, resulting in alumium, the first (and ultimately rejected) name for the metal.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    And those elements are still based on Latin words. For example, Helium from Helios, the sun. The 'i' comes from the base word. It's not part of the suffix. In this case the name is derived from the Latin word alumin, the full name of the preserving salt alum (which turned out to be the sulfate of the base metal). So the only way it would end in -ium is if the 'n' was truncated, resulting in alumium, the first (and ultimately rejected) name for the metal.
    Helios is greek, not latin.
    Speciation Is Gradual