Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    To give in to peer pressure is absolutely a choice. Your example of the woman was not an example of peer pressure. You can choose to ignore your peers trying to get you to do something. They can't control your free will. There are billions who don't give in on any given day. If you might not get a job due to not smoking, there is legal actions you can take. They cannot hold a job over your head, just like a boss cannot hold a job over a womans head who does not give into their advances. That is also a toxic situation that should be removed from their life.

I also never said it was as easy as flipping a switch, merely that it is possible. That is a fact that is undeniable and has been proven for centuries.

Going to help is like I said. Helping them to avoid the smoking. Helping them to break the habit. You can offer a lot of aid in various ways. You can help keep the cigarettes away and you can help take their mind off it by playing games with them or taking them somewhere. However, just like with any medical treatment, unless they Truly want it and will stick to it on their own, it wont do any good. It comes back down to their choice. Just like it was their choice to start.

There are also plenty of mothers who do quit smoking as a result of wanting to ensure their babies survive. My mother was one of those. She stopped to ensure she didn't kill my younger brother when the doctor offered her a warning concerning it.

Now, for the evidence. Look at the sources that link cites. It has the research there. It also states that it only took things that were linked to second hand smoke complications. They don't need to provide the "what else is in the air" portion since that would just be considered the control group. IE, you and me. It cites all of its sources such as the research and facts. It merely combines them all.

Do I blame it all on second hand smoke? No. However, I merely state that a lot of smokers do not go as far as you have gone. They do not care that it causes health risks or that they should not pay attention. They are much like TotalSy. They say its the other peoples fault for being there. Like I said, the composition of the air that is being inhaled daily is of no consequence. You cannot suddenly stop breathing. It is much easier to isolate one variable that you can observe then to take a composition of the air each day and try to isolate which one does what and what its over all impact was. The sheer magnitude makes it a fools errand to try to do so.
    i'd still say its not really a clear choice when you add in circumstances. in a magical zen world mayb we don't live in such a clear cut world.

'The sheer magnitude' is exactly the part where im skeptical about 2ndhand smoke being the main causes and/or only cause, unless ofc whatever disease they had can only exclusively be caused by 2nd hand smoke. then i will step down.

Quote Originally Posted by xRATJARx View Post
    Like i said earlier in the thread, cars and public transport etc actually have a fucking use, smoking cigarrettes has absolutely zero beneficial effects and only detriments the user and those around them. Get a clue.
    whether something has a use or not doesn't take away its deadlyness, exhaust fumes, powerplant/treatmentplant waste, other factories/processing facilities. hell in your words, even a nuke has its use. fun all around.
    smoking had a use in the past so that makes it ok right? it made you popular and cool.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Ideally I wouldn't live near smokers. I have some neighbours who like to smoke at all hours and sometimes it blows in my windows, so I have to cut off all airflow to the apartment and wait the fuckers out.

Dating smokers is probably straight out. Couldn't deal with the smell.

Definitely no smoking inside my house, don't even like it immediately outside really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Demontjuh View Post
    i'd still say its not really a clear choice when you add in circumstances. in a magical zen world mayb we don't live in such a clear cut world.

'The sheer magnitude' is exactly the part where im skeptical about 2ndhand smoke being the main causes and/or only cause, unless ofc whatever disease they had can only exclusively be caused by 2nd hand smoke. then i will step down.

whether something has a use or not doesn't take away its deadlyness, exhaust fumes, powerplant/treatmentplant waste, other factories/processing facilities. hell in your words, even a nuke has its use. fun all around.
    smoking had a use in the past so that makes it ok right? it made you popular and cool.
    Comparing cigarrettes to nuclear weapons is a ridiculous false equivalency. Try harder next time.

Additionally, cars and factories etc have been and will continue to move to cleaner sources of energy with lower and less harmful emmission levels, can the same be said for cigarrettes??
    Last edited by xRATJARx; 2018-03-18 at 01:59 AM.

I don't like the smell but I'm not going to tell someone not to do it if it isn't in a spot where smoking isn't allowed

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    You are again ignoring the circumstances of why one would be there to begin with. There are laws in the us about being in public and smoking indoors.

You are purposefully ignoring all logic and reasoning to try to sway the argument in your favor. You do not get to choose what happens in life, nor if life dictates you be somewhere that a smoker decides to smoke
    Don't think I don't have sympathy for you, I do. Half my family has died of smoking related illness or complications. It's why I don't smoke myself. As a child I was regularly forced to be around second hand smoke, in car or at home. I hated it.

But unless you're a child yourself, I don't see how you are forced to be around smoking when you don't want to be.
    Here is something to believe in!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    if u are in public waiting for a bus and someone starts smoking close to u, how does that make u feel? do u accept friends who smoke? can they smoke if they are ur place? would smoking be a bad sign in dating for u?
    You fucking soi boy. Such a weak generation.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't smoke and I don't mind the smell. It bothers me if they blow smoke in my face because that is just rude but 9/10 people tend to try their best to not get smoke near others.

Dating a smoker, guess it depends on the person but it wouldn't be a deciding factor.

Comparing cigarrettes to nuclear weapons is a ridiculous false equivalency. Try harder next time.

Additionally, cars and factories etc have been and will continue to move to cleaner sources of energy with lower and less harmful emmission levels, can the same be said for cigarrettes??
    sigh, thats all i can do at this point, i give up, you win, your mind is to *cough*amazing*cough* compared to me, you reading comprehension is through the roof.
    im out.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

I don't think I could be in a long term relationship with a smoker. I dislike breathing in cigarette smoke. I can stand close-ish to someone smoking as long as the smoke is traveling in a different direction than where I'm standing.

As far as people who aren't immediately close to me, I could care less. Just don't smoke in my car or in my apartment and I don't care.

Instant turn off if its a woman.

Disgusting.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    smoking cigarrettes has absolutely zero beneficial effects and only detriments the user and those around them. Get a clue.
    Wrong. As someone with Crohn's Disease, I can tell you for a fact that smoking helps with it.

https://academic.oup.com/bmb/article...19/52-1-58.pdf

An inverse association between cigarette smoking and ulcerative colitis
    has been repeatedly documented. The relationship is complex, since
    current smokers have a markedly reduced risk relative to never smokers
    (as low as 0.4 or lower), but former smokers have, if anything, an
    increased risk.
    Reports of the amelioration of ulcerative colitis symptoms by
    smoking or nicotine administration led to formal trials of transdermal nicotine. The pattern of response resembles that of corticosteroid
    therapy: transdermal nicotine aided the treatment of patients in
    relapse but a somewhat less intense nicotine regimen was ineffective in
    prolonging remission Thus there is considerable evidence that smoking—and nicotine in
    particular-has a beneficial effect in ulcerative colitis. The effect remains
    unexplained, although several mechanisms have been proposed, including
    changes in bowel mucus or prostaglandins, immune suppression, and
    other effects in the bowel89
    Note that Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease are pretty much the same thing, except where is affected, with Crohn's affecting anywhere in the gasteo tract, where UC is limited to large intestine.

Finally, the available evidence is very suggestive of a genuine benefit with
    regard to endometrial cancer, aphthous ulcers, ulcerative colitis, external
    allergic alveolitis, Parkinson's disease, and control of body weight.
    So yeah, can I ask you to link your scientific evidence of ZERO BENEFICIAL EFFECTS, or are you just sprouting random shit?
    Last edited by Tommi; 2018-03-18 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like cigarettes, but I'll tolerate it when I'm around people. I won't date a woman who smokes.

What really annoys me is people who vape and then blow as much smoke as they can around themselves in one puff. I work with several guys who do this and it always seems I'm downwind of them. I'll ask them to stop but within a few puffs they'll forget.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post

What really annoys me is people who vape and then blow as much smoke as they can around themselves in one puff. I work with several guys who do this and it always seems I'm downwind of them. I'll ask them to stop but within a few puffs they'll forget.
    Yeah, those people who vape just for "PHAT CLOUDS" annoy me as well. You'll tend to find they use 100% VG based liquids with ZERO nicotine in them.

not a fan, but as long as they make an effort not to blow smoke in my direction, I can deal. absolutely NO smoking inside my house. not even for family. I did date a smoker once. that was.... interesting. didn't last. wasn't just becasue of smoking, but that definitely contributed.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2018-03-18 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    shesha 'hookah' actually smells pretty good. I don't mind it.
    And it's usually restricted to places where it can be smoked - as in hookah lounges or home, since it's not really portable (like vape).
    As for vapers - I don't mind the smell, it's either too faint of a smell, of smells good enough to not mind. Vapers gotta fix the attitude about it (it's not a big enough deal as they make it).

But cigarette smoke I can't stand. It makes me physically sick in the stomach.

Other people who smoke literally bring me pain. Even someone who isn't currently smoking but has recently or is just covered in that smell, if they walk close to me and I get a whiff of that smell I get a headache. Luckily I don't live a life that brings me in contact with many smokers but it literally hurts anytime our paths do cross.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSyn View Post
    That is obviously a me problem, and I would put in headphones or move to another stop. It's his right to listen to whatever crap he wants.

Do you guys really think it's cool to go around imposing your preferences and dislikes on other people?
    When they try to poison me? Yes.

Depends on what they are smoking.

Hate smokers and I think eventually society will look at using gasoline/diesel cars in the same way they do cigarettes. We should not be breathing this shit. It's killing us and it's almost like nobody cares.

Coal fire power plants too, why is that still a thing. I thought the U.S. was the most advanced economy in the world. Still burning dinosaurs.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smells awful, and would never date somebody who did. Watched plenty of older relatives and friends die to complications due to cigarette smoke as well.

From a productivity standpoint, I feel like a lot of smokers (depends on what type of job you have) take far more breaks than their non-smoker counterparts. Less true or non-existent in an office environment, but it's something I've noticed when the main focus of a job is manual labor. Love seeing cigarette butts litter the fucking ground in common 'smoking' areas too. It's fucking disgusting.

My shear hatred stems from growing up in the late 80s and early 90s, when smoking was rampant pretty much everywhere. Mother was a smoker, so our vehicle smelled like it constantly. Father worked all the time so we constantly were dragged around by my mother, to places where tons of other smokers would gather Bingo events on the weekends with 150-300 ladies in their 30s-70s all smoking.

I aslo remember Tim Hortons during the late 80s and 90s being filled with fucking cigarette smoke. I'm fairly certain I never tried (nor drank) coffee because I'll forever associate the smell of coffee with the smell of cigarette smoke when growing up.