Arkansas student says he was paddled for gun control walkout

(Source)
    Students across the United States are serving detention or in-school suspension as discipline for walking out of class Wednesday to protest gun violence.
    But a student at Greenbrier High in Arkansas says he was punished a different way.

Wylie Greer told CNN that only he and two other students walked out, and while they were sitting outside the school building, the principal approached and asked if they knew "there would be consequences" for their action.
    They said yes, Greer said, and returned to class. The 17-year-old senior discovered he had a choice of discipline: two days of in-school suspension or two swats with a wooden paddle.

Those choices surprised him, Greer said, but he picked the paddle with the support of his parents. Greer said taking the paddling "was the noble and right thing to do in this scenario."
    "In my mind, the in-school suspension was essentially conceding to sitting down and shutting up, which is what the admin and school wanted to happen, to keep it quiet almost," Greer said. "I felt if I stood up and took the punishment in an honorable way, that it was better than doing what they wanted me to do which is shut up and go on with our lives. I don't think that they expected me to take the corporal punishment."

The dean of students emphasized that Greer was being disciplined for cutting class, not because of his opinion, Greer said. The school district did not return CNN's calls for comment.
    Greenbrier Schools Superintendent Scott Spainhour did not identify affected students, but told CNN affiliate KARK they were disciplined for walking out of class, which violates policy.
    Students who broke the rules chose between in school suspension or a swat with a paddle, he said, according to the affiliate. It said paddling in public schools is legal in Arkansas.
    "He lightly gave me two swats and told me to go about my day," Greer said. "He also explained that not all corporal punishment sessions ended like that. It was implied that he didn't hit me as hard as he could have."
    'Strait-laced place'
    Greenbrier is a town of about 5,000 people about 45 miles north of Little Rock.
    "Greenbrier prides itself on being a clean, straight-laced place," he said. "Nobody kneels during the National Anthem here."
    Greer's mother, Jerusalem Greer, praised her son for taking a stand. His father signed papers to allow the punishment to be administered, the student said.
    "Wylie's father and I are so proud of his courage, his conviction, and his honesty," she said to CNN. "He could have sensationalized his experience, but he didn't. We believe that it is important to empower our kids, in mature and developmentally appropriate ways, to be their own persons. Corporal Punishment of students should not be legal in any form."

Arkansas student says he was paddled for gun control walkout
    By Christina Zdanowicz and Ralph Ellis, CNN

Posted at 2:00 AM ET, Sat March 17, 2018

Watch students walk out of schools across US 01:36
    (CNN) — Students across the United States are serving detention or in-school suspension as discipline for walking out of class Wednesday to protest gun violence.
    But a student at Greenbrier High in Arkansas says he was punished a different way.
    Wylie Greer
    Wylie Greer
    Wylie Greer told CNN that only he and two other students walked out, and while they were sitting outside the school building, the principal approached and asked if they knew "there would be consequences" for their action.
    They said yes, Greer said, and returned to class. The 17-year-old senior discovered he had a choice of discipline: two days of in-school suspension or two swats with a wooden paddle.

Those choices surprised him, Greer said, but he picked the paddle with the support of his parents. Greer said taking the paddling "was the noble and right thing to do in this scenario."
    "In my mind, the in-school suspension was essentially conceding to sitting down and shutting up, which is what the admin and school wanted to happen, to keep it quiet almost," Greer said. "I felt if I stood up and took the punishment in an honorable way, that it was better than doing what they wanted me to do which is shut up and go on with our lives. I don't think that they expected me to take the corporal punishment."

Related Article: Yesterday, they walked out of class. Now, they're forced to stay after school
    The dean of students emphasized that Greer was being disciplined for cutting class, not because of his opinion, Greer said. The school district did not return CNN's calls for comment.
    Greenbrier Schools Superintendent Scott Spainhour did not identify affected students, but told CNN affiliate KARK they were disciplined for walking out of class, which violates policy.
    Students who broke the rules chose between in school suspension or a swat with a paddle, he said, according to the affiliate. It said paddling in public schools is legal in Arkansas.
    "He lightly gave me two swats and told me to go about my day," Greer said. "He also explained that not all corporal punishment sessions ended like that. It was implied that he didn't hit me as hard as he could have."
    'Strait-laced place'
    Greenbrier is a town of about 5,000 people about 45 miles north of Little Rock.
    "Greenbrier prides itself on being a clean, straight-laced place," he said. "Nobody kneels during the National Anthem here."
    Greer's mother, Jerusalem Greer, praised her son for taking a stand. His father signed papers to allow the punishment to be administered, the student said.
    "Wylie's father and I are so proud of his courage, his conviction, and his honesty," she said to CNN. "He could have sensationalized his experience, but he didn't. We believe that it is important to empower our kids, in mature and developmentally appropriate ways, to be their own persons. Corporal Punishment of students should not be legal in any form."

Wylie Greer said he's not angry at the administrators.
    "They were merely doing their job as the school board and school policy dictated," he said. "The 'swats' were not painful or injuring. It was nothing more than a temporary sting on my thighs."
    Still, he hopes paddling will be done away with.
    "I believe that corporal punishment has no place in schools, even if it wasn't painful to me," he said in the statement. "The idea that violence should be used against someone who was protesting violence as a means to discipline them is appalling."
    He also hopes the school system is not criticized.
    "I would encourage people not to harass anybody about what happened, especially not the administration," Greer said. "Protest, vote, but don't attack people verbally or physically over this. I was walking out against violence or hatred and I don't want to see that brought upon anybody."
    This is just weird, I imagine it must feel unfathomably uncomfortable to be 17 and to have your ass spanked outside of sexy time. I can at least say I respect him for standing up for what he believes in an area where the majority of the population disagrees, he didn't give into peer pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    (Source)

This is just weird, I imagine it must feel unfathomably uncomfortable to be 17 and to have your ass spanked outside of sexy time. I can at least say I respect him for standing up for what he believes in an area where the majority of the population disagrees, he didn't give into peer pressure.
    I am not that suprised. But end of the day I am sure it was a more laughable moment than not. I can only imagine them spanking me at 17 in school and how much I would be cracking up.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I would be surprised if this isn't illegal.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

...Schools in Arkansas still have paddles at the ready?

I wonder if this is legal. He chose to get paddled with his parents' advice, so I doubt this is a case of corporal punishment.

(Source)

LoL 2 swats .....Corporal punishment when done right is bad. In this case the kid had to decide between 2mins of embarassment VS 2 days of suspension.
    I don't see what is newsworthy here honestly ... in my city if you partecipated in protests and skipped school the next day your parents would have to come to the school to let them accept you in ...
    Making it an hassle for the parents who had to be at work in the morning .... sorta pointless way to harm a whole family , since they'd be allowed one at a time in the principal office ..

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    LoL 2 swats .....Corporal punishment when done right is bad. In this case the kid had to decide between 2mins of embarassment VS 2 days of suspension.
    Corporal punishment on any 17 year old is just weird, much less in school.

Corporal punishment on any 17 year old is just weird, much less in school.
    that's the point , accept to be embarassed before your parents eyes , or suspension .

And on that day the kid unlocked his first kink.

Tbh its odd to me any school still offers paddling as punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    that's the point , accept to be embarassed before your parents eyes , or suspension .
    Not even that, it's the idea of a grown man hitting what amounts to a sexually mature male on the ass. I mean when I was 17 I was over 200lbs with a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    And on that day the kid unlocked his first kink.

Tbh its odd to me any school still offers paddling as punishment.
    That's how certain Christian private schools handle punishments if the parents consent. So, it goes beyond the school deciding it's doing that. It's the school and the parents.

Though, it's not all of them. And I never got offered an option.

Deleted
    In my country the entire board would be fired the same day, it's pretty much illegal here, physical interaction is only allowed when it's within the subject of teaching or legal defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL

I would have made this as uncomfortable for the principle as possible.

You know like when he told me to bend over I'd start yelling. "YAY BABY, SPANK MY ASS, SPANK ME HARD'

lolol ooooh fuck that guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

He was paddled.....

/snort

HARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHARHAR

It's not like he was traumatized so that's good, but it's fucking weird this was even on the table.