Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Post Why Sethrak and Vulpera are Pointless Races and Shouldn't be playable.

I kind of feel that Allied race system isn't exactly what is. Instead of having Subraces that fits well within each race's identity within both the alliance and the horde like Mag'har Orcs, Kul'tiran Humans, Lightforged Draenei, and more. However blizzard seems to be adding in races that doesn't fit with the overall faction identity that is mainly being the Sethrak and Vulpera.

To me Sethrak and Vulpera are two of the most pointless races to have be playable within the World of Warcraft. You can say the same argument with Worgens, Pandarens, and Tauren. But here's the thing those 3 races were already within the Warcraft universe mainly being the Tauren and pandaren that made their first appearance in Warcraft 3 then comes the worgen which also made their appearance in classic/vanilla wow. Each of the 3 races have interesting backstories and even bit of good culture like Tauren/Native Americans, Worgens/British and Pandarens/Asian Culture. But with the likes of Sethrak and Vulpera they just feel out of no where with no backstory, less interesting culture and they feel like they don't fit the overall Warcraft universe.

Why would anyone want to play as a furry fox boy or Snake person where you could be playing as a Celtic Dwarf or Savage big Ogre, Cruel heartless Undead Human or Elf, Viking Human, Noble High Elf, Forest Troll, Snow Tauren like Taunka just whatever type of subrace that feels Warcraft that feels like a Fantasy RPG. Not something stupid and pointless like Fox people, Fish people, Snake people, and whatever type of stupid race that doesn't feel like Warcraft. Its bad enough the Alliance already got 2 sad excuse of allied races and kind of feel like the faction pride identity is dead at this point. If Vulpera joins the horde then what's the point in the Allied race system then

I really hope they don't become playable because if they do then World of Warcraft wouldn't be Warcraft. It'll just be another MMO Game that doesn't have the charm of a Fantasy RPG. If any fantasy race that would feel like Warcraft why not ask to play as a High Elf or a Wildhammer Dwarf, Ogre, Vrykul, Taunka, Dragonmaw, Furbolg, Fullmetal Gnomes, Junker Goblins, Fully Risen Undead, Satyr, whatever race that feels like Warcraft whatever subrace that fits with faction identity. Adding in Snake and Fox races doesn't feel like Warcraft.
    Last edited by Hawkknight97; 2018-03-18 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Word Editing
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

You don't know the fantasy yet. Pandaren didn't have backstory. It IS Warcraft. Jinyu are cool. Wait till Vulpera get their Australian accents and tell me they don't have culture.

5+ Year Old Account
    "They're pointless and bad because I don't like them and my subjective perspective of what is or isn't a 'fantasy game' must be adhered to."

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheimy View Post
    You don't know the fantasy yet. Pandaren didn't have backstory. It IS Warcraft. Jinyu are cool. Wait till Vulpera get their Australian accents and tell me they don't have culture.
    Pandaren did have a backstory in Warcraft 3 and during Mists.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    Why would anyone want to play as a furry fox boy or Snake person where you could be playing as a Celtic Dwarf or Savage big Ogre, Cruel heartless Undead Human or Elf, Viking Human, Noble High Elf, Forest Troll, Snow Tauren like Taunka just whatever type of subrace that feels Warcraft that feels like a Fantasy RPG. Not something stupid and pointless like Fox people, Fish people, Snake people, and whatever type of stupid race that doesn't feel like Warcraft. Its bad enough the Alliance already got 2 sad excuse of allied races and kind of feel like the faction pride identity is dead at this point. If Vulpera joins the horde then what's the point in the Allied race system then

I really hope they don't become playable because if they do then World of Warcraft wouldn't be Warcraft. It'll just be another MMO Game that doesn't have the charm of a Fantasy RPG. If any fantasy race that would feel like Warcraft why not ask to play as a High Elf or a Wildhammer Dwarf, Ogre, Vrykul, Taunka, Dragonmaw, Furbolg, Fullmetal Gnomes, Junker Goblins, Fully Risen Undead, Satyr, whatever race that feels like Warcraft whatever subrace that fits with faction identity. Adding in Snake and Fox races doesn't feel like Warcraft.
    Snake people are a fantasy staple, just as elves and dwarves are. Their lack of precedent is in my view irrelevant.

That said, it's your question "why would you want to?" that interests me most. People like different things. I'm personally not to fussed about goblins, so I get around it by not playing one.
    That said, I'd agree with you that there are other races that I'd probably rather play first (Ogres or Murlocs) but if there's high enough demand for furries and lizardmen then fine, I'll stick with my orcs and elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait Vulpera are australian? I thought they were going for Romani like the Khajiit.

Pandaren did have a backstory in Warcraft 3 and during Mists.
    In response to Mists, Vulpera & Sethrak will have stories introduced. Mists doesn't count as backstory.

As a massive Pandaren fan, I don't count the Pandaren role in warcraft 3 as 'backstory'

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has added numerous races over the course of WoW. They aren't "bound" to the races that existed in Warcraft 3. If they were we wouldn't have Draenei or nightborne or Worgen.

As for Pandaren and Worgen, everything we know about them was made up in World of Warcraft. Nothing was known about Gilneas or its culture before Cataclysm. That was made up for Cataclysm. Same with Pandaren. We knew Pandaren existed, but the entirety of Pandaria and every facet of their culture? Yeah, made up in MoP.

Just because you find an "animal race" unpalatable (even though WoW is full of them) doesn't mean other people share the same sentiment.

Ultimately, it's a rule of cool. Is a giant talking egyptian themed snake person cool? Yes? Well, then it'd be a cool race. They fit well into WoW because WoW's lore is broad enough to encompass many different types of races. A snake person, or fox person, is by absolutely no means "beyond the pale."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post

Wait Vulpera are australian? I thought they were going for Romani like the Khajiit.
    Oh I have no idea, I saw somebody suggest it in a thread on here and was instantly sold on the idea and have been imagining it that way ever since. Sorry for the mislead it wasn't my intention.

Oh I have no idea, I saw somebody suggest it in a thread on here and was instantly sold on the idea and have been imagining it that way ever since. Sorry for the mislead it wasn't my intention.
    No worries, you may be right, I'd heard people suggest the Romani thing just because of the caravans and nomadic trader thing. I'd be fine with them being Australian, just hadn't seen anything suggesting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be clear, these races haven’t even been confirmed to be playable. People are just excited at the idea of it, and they have every right to be. I wish Ogres would be playable as well. Just because we may work with these new races doesn’t mean they will be playable in this expansion or the next. We worked with the Hozen and Jinyu and they are actual allied races, but they still aren’t playable. Take a breath and relax until confirmation.

"Sterility is good, we should just stick with the things that were introduced in WC3-Vanilla WoW, nothing ever comes of new things."

That's really all I read in the OP, intentional or not. Vulpera and Sethrak both add charm and character to the game even just as NPCs by being able to diversify more sentient creatures in Wacraft.

This argument is the same kind of thing that could have easily been used for Nightborne, as before Legion we though Suramar had just sunk to the bottom of the ocean and all the elves in it either died or turned into Naga, we had no hints of the city continuing to exist, much less having evolved separately from modern day NElves or Highborne (in fact, this was a straight out -retcon- from Warcraft 2 and War of the Ancients.)

New is welcome and good, especially when it brings new cultures and story-writing opportunities to the game. If this was just Alliance V. Horde with the races that existed since Vanilla, well... it would be sterile, samey and boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to proof read your posts. Your very first sentence doesn't make sense.

Setting that aside, let's go into your actual content.

1) No culture or backstory. This isn't necessarily true, just because their culture and backstory haven't been revealed doesn't mean they don't have them. Unless you mean no pre-existing backstory and lore, then I can't really say you're wrong, though I can point out that if developers were forced to only stick with things that have already been established, then nothing new would ever be made and i think that's a bad idea. Keep in mind, everything you love in the lore was inserted into it as a brand new idea at one point.

2) "Why would you want to be x when you can be y". This is silly. Different people have different preferences, you're preferences are being made clear enough. Some people won't find Celtic dwarves more interesting than normal dwarves, or ogres interesting either. I'm personally kind of "meh" towards the Celtic dwarves, though ogres would be pretty cool. Some people see elves as bland and uninteresting, while others find them to be the best thing ever.

3) Implication that things like snake people or anthropomorphized foxes aren't very Warcraft or "Fantasy RPG" feeling enough. What would you call these types of creatures if not fantasy type creatures? Do you see such things in real to life sources? As for the "Warcraft" feel, I suspect that's an incredibly subjective thing that is less to do with Warcraft and more just your personal biases. I love how you keep repeating "snake race" instead of referring to them as Sethrak, seeing how it almost sounds like you are insulting the very well established Warcraft snake race known as the naga. Being a snake race shouldn't be the problem.

The OP’s post summed up: we shouldn’t have things in WoW if they weren’t WC3.

TLDR: I dont like it, so no one else should like it either. *insert crying baby meme*

"Sethrak and Vulpera are pointless races"

I kind of feel that Allied race system isn't exactly what is. Instead of having Subraces that fits well within each race's identity within both the alliance and the horde like Mag'har Orcs, Kul'tiran Humans, Lightforged Draenei, and more. However blizzard seems to be adding in races that doesn't fit with the overall faction identity that is mainly being the Sethrak and Vulpera.
    Because its not sub races.Allied races as the name suggest are races Allied to your faction.So supposely, any race that is allied with either Ally/Horde should be playable.

To me Sethrak and Vulpera are two of the most pointless races to have be playable within the World of Warcraft.
    Subjective
    You can say the same argument with Worgens, Pandarens, and Tauren. But here's the thing those 3 races were already within the Warcraft universe mainly being the Tauren and pandaren that made their first appearance in Warcraft 3 then comes the worgen which also made their appearance in classic/vanilla wow.
    You can wait until datamine or Bfa to find out more about their culture?
    Each of the 3 races have interesting backstories and even bit of good culture like Tauren/Native Americans, Worgens/British and Pandarens/Asian Culture. But with the likes of Sethrak and Vulpera they just feel out of no where with no backstory, less interesting culture and they feel like they don't fit the overall Warcraft universe.
    You can say Sethrakk/Egypt and Vulpera...Indian?No disrespect or anything but its the closest i could think right now.And again, you could wait to find out more about them.
    Why would anyone want to play as a furry fox boy or Snake person where you could be playing as a Celtic Dwarf or Savage big Ogre, Cruel heartless Undead Human or Elf, Viking Human, Noble High Elf, Forest Troll, Snow Tauren like Taunka just whatever type of subrace that feels Warcraft that feels like a Fantasy RPG. Not something stupid and pointless like Fox people, Fish people, Snake people, and whatever type of stupid race that doesn't feel like Warcraft
    Subjective.What you feel its warcraft its very different to what other is.For example:
    For what i read, you seem the person that prefers medieval themes/old school warcraft.Thats your vision of Warcraft.
    My vision is everything that looks/is cool is Warcraft since they always managed different themes in the franchise very well.
    Its bad enough the Alliance already got 2 sad excuse of allied races and kind of feel like the faction pride identity is dead at this point. If Vulpera joins the horde then what's the point in the Allied race system then
    Again, Sub-Races=/=Allied Races and if Vulpera are Allied with the Horde then the system is doing as intended
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

10+ Year Old Account
    . But with the likes of Sethrak and Vulpera they just feel out of no where with no backstory
    That's because it's being developed, in this expansion.

less interesting culture
    Opinion... I'm pretty sure people with ancestry that comes from those types of cultures would strongly disagree with you. Not everything that gets added to the game has to appeal to you specifically.

Why would anyone want to play as a furry fox boy or Snake person where you could be playing as a Celtic Dwarf or Savage big Ogre, Cruel heartless Undead Human or Elf, Viking Human, Noble High Elf, Forest Troll, Snow Tauren like Taunka just whatever type of subrace that feels Warcraft that feels like a Fantasy RPG
    Not something stupid and pointless like Fox people, Fish people, Snake people, and whatever type of stupid race that doesn't feel like Warcraft.
    1. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but not everyone likes the same stuff you do. Best learn that quick.

2. Fantasy RPGs have had races like these in them for years, since long before Warcraft was ever a thing, so, they do belong in fantasy RPGs... You don't get to suddenly decide they don't.

3. How do they make less sense than the perfectly acceptable cow people? Or Gnolls? Or Furbolgs? (they don't make any less sense, for the record) None of them had any lore when they were first introduced to Warcraft either... You're currently judging these races based on absolutely nothing... We haven't gotten to do their zones, see their quests, and see their lore yet. So why don't you withhold your judgment for when there is actually something to judge?

faction pride identity is dead at this point.
    Your opinion only.

God forbid new lore ever happens. Do you want the game to get stale as shit? Because not letting new stuff happen is what makes games get stale as shit.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-03-18 at 02:07 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

BOI
    Warcraft is full with those "pointless races".
    Just remember, the pandaren starded as some kind of a joke-ish character in warcraft 3, then 10 years later, a whole fucking expansion is about them.

Yet another person that can't seem to grasp the concept that other people might have different opinions.

I'm not a fan of Highmountain tauren. Rather than shout that they should be removed, I simply do not play one.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Snake people are a fantasy staple, just as elves and dwarves are. Their lack of precedent is in my view irrelevant.
    Doesn't automatically mean it's an argument for their introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient One View Post
    BOI
    Warcraft is full with those "pointless races".
    Just remember, the pandaren starded as some kind of a joke-ish character in warcraft 3, then 10 years later, a whole fucking expansion is about them.
    Pandaren have been in discussion since BC to become a playable race, they later switched to Draenei as Alliance Race.

Next to that, Pandaren at least existed in lore before they became playable, Vulpera would probably become playable the same expansion they are introduced.