Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    reading this "journalistic article" reduced my IQ by 10, it started with the headline.
    most "journalists" these days are basically clickbait youtubers, you create a title to trigger people, then the story has nothing to do with the title at all.

member when news was news? i member.

now it's all clickbait bullshit, or just straight up lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Obvious (for now, at least) issue lies with parents, who left a loaded gun unsecured, and I, guess, didn't really teach the kid about what it actually is and what it can do.

Dont overdo it, you perfectly well understood what he/she/it meant.
    YEs I understood them to be willing to deny people their constitutional rights and Freedoms. No other way to really interpret that
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Please just stop with this Bullshit. Biometric guns were a bad idea as they are now. They failed to work and actually put peoples lives at risk who depend on a firearm for protection. This was gone over ad nauseum in the Gun control mega thread
    Oh spare me, they were never released and tested to be improved because of the NRA unless you are saying biometric technology is a bad idea period. You should just stick with the "thoughts and prayers" line and that thread is basically a place for you guys to jerk off to each others new toys.

Odds are this child had mental issues, either diagnosed or not. He has probably lashed out in a very violent manner before. The fault lies entirely with the parents for for failing to secure the fire arm. The gun didnt force the child to do this. He could have just as easily used a knife or a heavy object . The parents and the child are at fault and must live with this.
    nope, sounds like a normal 9 year old who got angry over something, only responsible adult's dont leave lethal objects around.

even if it was a knife, knives are far harder to plunge that blade into someone, pulling a trigger is much easier.

i can tell you now if you leave more loaded guns around 9 year olds, more people will be shot, that's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Oh spare me, they were never released and tested to be improved because of the NRA unless you are saying biometric technology is a bad idea period. You should just stick with the "thoughts and prayers" line.
    As a gun control proponent, biometric guns like that are a bad idea. If you have sweaty or dirty hands, grip it differently, or any of a whole host of other things, the gun might not fire when you need it to. Look at fingerprint scanners on phones and how well they work - most of the time they do fine, but they occasionally fail and you need to scan your finger again. You don't get the opportunity to scan your finger again when it is a gun.

I could see something with NFC being more reliable - maybe you chip your palm and your gun only fires within say 4 inches of the chip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Todesbote View Post
    If the controller had a gun none of this would have happened. The only thing that stops a 9 year old with a gun is an inanimate object with a gun.
    I agree 100%, the controller should have had a gun or at least mounted laser cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    nope, sounds like a normal 9 year old who got angry over something, only responsible adult's dont leave lethal objects around.

even if it was a knife, knives are far harder to plunge that blade into someone, pulling a trigger is much easier.

i can tell you now if you leave more loaded guns around 9 year olds, more people will be shot, that's a fact.
    Wait you think its normal for a child to be willing to kill another person over a video game?

And you think its harder for someone to stab another then it is to pull a trigger? You have very little understanding of how weapons work

YEs I understood them to be willing to deny people their constitutional rights and Freedoms. No other way to really interpret that
    Laws can be changed. They sometimes HAVE to be changed to fit reality, unless you really think that 18th century stuff is 100% applicable right now.
    I fail to see why you feel threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well I guess games do turn people into killers after all.
    Not a fan of that statement but i feel a 9 yo should AT MAX play an rpg . Surely not an FPS game , ESPECIALLY american children.
    Mainly the parents are at fault in this though ... if only they hid their guns as good as my mom hid my ps1 alimentation cable when I was a kid , this wouldn't have happened

Wait you think its normal for a child to be willing to kill another person over a video game?

And you think its harder for someone to stab another then it is to pull a trigger? You have very little understanding of how weapons work
    It is indeed far more difficult to fatally stab someone than it is to fatally shoot them. Stabbing requires physical force, shooting does not. In this scenario, if the 9 year old boy had tried to stab his sister in the skull with a kitchen knife, it is unlikely he would have been able to exert enough force to go through the skull, especially not without making the girl scream for help before it was too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Oh spare me, they were never released and tested to be improved because of the NRA unless you are saying biometric technology is a bad idea period. You should just stick with the "thoughts and prayers" line and that thread is basically a place for you guys to jerk off to each others new toys.

Biometric guns proved to be unreliable as the technology is not at a sufficient point to be considered reliable enough to work when needed. The NRA didnt kill that idea, it just didnt work well

i think a 9 yo probably thought his sister would respawn in the kitchen giving him time to get a hold on the controller ...

Biometric guns proved to be unreliable as the technology is not at a sufficient point to be considered reliable enough to work when needed. The NRA didnt kill that idea, it just didnt work well
    again THEY WERE NEVER WIDELY TESTED AND ADJUSTED BECAUSE OF THE NRA go back to the gun thread you are probably better off there.

10+ Year Old Account
    This article went up on CNN 20 minutes ago, this one has the added information of saying "The boy grabbed a handgun, which was kept in a nightstand next to the bed, and shot the sister in the back of the head, the sheriff said".
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/bo...rnd/index.html

I have kids, one is 10, and around that age they definitely DO know that shooting someone with a gun will kill or injure them. So none of this "he didn't understand the consequences" garbage. The only consequence he didn't think of was potentially being locked up after doing it, or that his family might never forgive him.

He even went to the extra effort to go to his parents' bedroom to find the item that he knew would kill her. That's something wrong mentally there, that's not just being young and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    As a gun control proponent, biometric guns like that are a bad idea. If you have sweaty or dirty hands, grip it differently, or any of a whole host of other things, the gun might not fire when you need it to. Look at fingerprint scanners on phones and how well they work - most of the time they do fine, but they occasionally fail and you need to scan your finger again. You don't get the opportunity to scan your finger again when it is a gun.

I could see something with NFC being more reliable - maybe you chip your palm and your gun only fires within say 4 inches of the chip?
    Imagine how bad X technology would be if it was never beta tested let alone released your complaints are invalid the NRA killed the baby in its crib.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    It is indeed far more difficult to fatally stab someone than it is to fatally shoot them. Stabbing requires physical force, shooting does not. In this scenario, if the 9 year old boy had tried to stab his sister in the skull with a kitchen knife, it is unlikely he would have been able to exert enough force to go through the skull, especially not without making the girl scream for help before it was too late.
    Stabbing a person is not as had as one thinks. And a fatal knife wound to the neck would be just as easy as pulling a trigger. But in either case a child willing to kill another is not Normal. There is a underlying cause here. This child has a serious mental problem. A 9 year old is fully capable of understanding life and death and right and wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Clearly this is the fault of video games, and not the gun left near children.
    This, but unironically. Also the gun. Both actually. Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Laws can be changed. They sometimes HAVE to be changed to fit reality, unless you really think that 18th century stuff is 100% applicable right now.
    I fail to see why you feel threatened.
    Our Constitutional rights are not just Laws and no they can not easily be changed. They are the guiding principles on which our nation was founded and is maintained. We Americans tend to get rather defensive and threatened when others like to talk about taking away our constitutional rights. Its bad enough we have those in our society willing to give up their freedoms such as the 1st amendment. OR willing to let the Government search your car, home etc with out a warrant because " I have nothing to hide".

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    This article went up on CNN 20 minutes ago, this one has the added information of saying "The boy grabbed a handgun, which was kept in a nightstand next to the bed, and shot the sister in the back of the head, the sheriff said".
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/bo...rnd/index.html

I have kids, one is 10, and around that age they definitely DO know that shooting someone with a gun will kill or injure them. So none of this "he didn't understand the consequences" garbage. The only consequence he didn't think of was potentially being locked up after doing it, or that his family might never forgive him.

He even went to the extra effort to go to his parents' bedroom to find the item that he knew would kill her. That's something wrong mentally there, that's not just being young and stupid.
    I mostly agree. Absolutely evidence of (possible) conduct disorder which is a precursor to antisocial personality disorder. The kid has some issues.

9 year olds don't understand consequences the way adults do, that part of the brain develops last (around age 25). It's why teenagers do a lot of stupid reckless things.

What 9 year olds absolutely understand are rules/laws and what is considered to be right or wrong behavior. So he almost certainly knew what he was doing was wrong, but his impulsiveness/anger drove his actions.

again THEY WERE NEVER WIDELY TESTED AND ADJUSTED BECAUSE OF THE NRA go back to the gun thread you are probably better off there.
    https://www.wired.com/story/smart-gun-fire-magnets/
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...s-stupid-idea/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephs.../#6ead4fe06729