Thread: Socks problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Have you considered wearing different socks on different days, that way, a single pair will last you a long time? Don't these packs come in like, groups of 6-12?
    Aint nobody got time for that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    Maybe it's problem with your boots, not socks? Are they are soft enough inside so they don't tear socks?
    Yeah boot insoles are find, but the thin sock just can't hang.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Deleted
    If you actively walk, you should get professional socks for that.

Casual socks should last at least 6+ months in my experience, unless your shoes are too large and there is a lot of friction.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I agree with OP, so hard to get quality socks anywhere.
    Yes, it has been becoming an issue more and more lately, hell some of them the elastic gives out just putting them on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    i use thin socks, would get too warm feet if i had thick
    My feet do get warm, but I rather my sock soak up the sweat, rather than walk around in mini swimming pools.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's a problem with clothing in general nowadays. I read something awhile ago about textiles industry issues. If I can find that article I'll link it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN15S2LF
    https://sourcingjournalonline.com/fi...creased-costs/

Relevant.
    I'll give it a read thanks for the links.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The biggest issue I have with my socks is my cat running off with them.
    My dog also does this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    $10 a month can get you new socks. I get new ones every 6 months
    I can buy socks all day long, that isn't my problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    First, I know your struggle. I prefer thinner socks, as my feet swell up during the day (on my feet the entire time).

Second, I understand your preference. I can find thicker socks at Target, or at Dick's.

Good luck.
    Dick's a Midwestern store?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont buy socks at any big companys, they are designed to get damaged quickly as they are made out of poor materials (and also slave labor).

If posible, buy those made in your country, as people who sell those have the reputation they need to up-hold.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Socks lasting a week or two? WTF?

Mine last years...
    Must be nice. Mine used to last for years also, them were da days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I buy the same color, style, brand in the 6-10 packs. I have a drawer half full of underwear, and half full of socks. If one sock gets a hole, I can reach in, grab a random sock, and it'll match the one I already have. Between the cats, the dryer, and having very wide feet, socks disappear/die with frightening regularity. I pick up a few packs when on sale at Target, if I start getting low I open a pack, wash, dump them in.

I use Champion brand. They have nice undies too.
    I'll check them out, thanks for the lead and story.

The only socks that have lasted me more than, say, a month are specialty socks, such as the ones specifically designed for running. And even in that case, I might just be lucky.

I'm pretty careful with my socks, too. I tend to take them off at home, I rarely walk around in them outside of shoes and never outside. Yet somehow, they always manage to wear out.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if they were designed to wear out quickly so that people would buy more. It's not unfathomable -- plenty of companies design products to fail so that you'll eventually need more, so why would socks be special here?

go with under armour compression socks
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The biggest issue I have with my socks is my cat running off with them.
    I know the feeling but with a dog, little fucker.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlae View Post
    It seems like when I was a kid socks lasted forever along with anything else, I could go years without needing new anything in a lot of cases. These days stuff just wears out so quickly it's absurd, so yes I've noticed it.
    Yeah, I agree there, sad that we buy junk for an inflated price. Getting old sucks, just because we know this shit used to be quality for less money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't wear anything but thin ankle socks these days, even in the middle of winter.

Still, I don't quite understand how you manage to wea them out in days? Mine lasts for months or years O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    With "walmart" socks I usually only wear them 3-4 times before they get tossed. Of course I have almost a whole draw of them so that might be 4-5 months before that actually happens.
    I think wal-mart is where it started, I haven't bought socks from there in years, simple put the elastic would go before I'd even get a hole put in the toes, or heel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I know right, my socks last me at least a year a pair at the least. I think I still have socks from high school and that was a decade ago.
    I have shoes and a few shirts from high school, but socks? Sounds like its time you part with that shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Disappointed I was hoping this was going to be about how You and I wear socks that never match.
    Mine rarely match, its a lucky day to find a sock that didn't lose a few brothers in the war.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    I have some medium thickness under armour socks that have lasted about two years with no holes in any of them. I work out, I'm on my feet 10+ hours a day (walking/moving) and I'm 250lbs and they've held up through it all, through various shoes too.
    Thanks you, "HeatGear® Tech Crew – 3-Pack $16.99" Is exactly what I am looking for!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Socks lasting a week or two? WTF?

Mine last years...
    Exactly. I usually wear them for work until they stretch too much and I can still wear them at home. I have socks that are 4-5 years old, average is 1-2 years. I don't even remember when was the last time I bought socks.

Capitalism hits hard on you ppl it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    The only socks that have lasted me more than, say, a month are specialty socks, such as the ones specifically designed for running. And even in that case, I might just be lucky.

I'm pretty careful with my socks, too. I tend to take them off at home, I rarely walk around in them outside of shoes and never outside. Yet somehow, they always manage to wear out.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if they were designed to wear out quickly so that people would buy more. It's not unfathomable -- plenty of companies design products to fail so that you'll eventually need more, so why would socks be special here?
    My guess is that they are now designed to be crap, to move more socks. Gotta get that money!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I don't wear anything but thin ankle socks these days, even in the middle of winter.

Still, I don't quite understand how you manage to wea them out in days? Mine lasts for months or years O_o
    Could be a many different reasons why. I rather not discuss it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Exactly. I usually wear them for work until they stretch too much and I can still wear them at home. I have socks that are 4-5 years old, average is 1-2 years. I don't even remember when was the last time I bought socks.

Capitalism hits hard on you ppl it seems.
    What do you mean, "You people"?

I can't wear a stretched out sock, drives me fucking insane! That shit hits trash as soon as I can see my skin through it, or the heel is on my calf

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    My guess is that they are now designed to be crap, to move more socks. Gotta get that money!!
    It might not even be intentional design to make them flawed, but just, you know... really poorly-made socks. Because it's cheaper to do it that way, and people still buy them. Everyone needs socks, ya know?

I've seen very expensive specialty socks and they tend to last -- because investments need to last more than one or two uses unlike mass produced socks you might wear casually. Try to find some special cases, or if you get lucky with good 'normal' socks, stick with them.

To be honest I never really thought much about it before this thread... I am going to start looking to see if there are better brands of socks out there than the crap I usually buy. I'm willing to bet there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy crappy socks made in Vietnam or Malaysia. Buy Quality socks made in the USA. I only buy Wigwam socks https://www.wigwam.com/ and they last much longer than cheap assed Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Dickies etc... They are trashing their once good names by making inferior products made in third world nations to be cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    I was gonna say this. I swear every year fabric gets thinner and thinner.
    That doesn't apply to most American clothing brands who make their clothing in the US (Duluth Trading Company, Wigwam, Baldwin, Bill's Khakis etc...). Only shitty companies who offshore production to third world countries and cut corners to keep prices low

Deleted
    What do you mean, "You people"?

I can't wear a stretched out sock, drives me fucking insane! That shit hits trash as soon as I can see my skin through it, or the heel is on my calf
    I mean you spoiled 1st world ppl that can't go to a market and buy cheap, but durable clothes. Oh, brands matter. Brands are just for the consuming victims of capitalism to sell a trash product for 3x more price. And they can do it, because there is still demand for their shit.

Yes, it has been becoming an issue more and more lately, hell some of them the elastic gives out just putting them on.
    I spent an exorbitant amount on some Hugo Boss socks on the optimistic hope that they would in turn be high quality on top of the "brand" markup. Let's just say I can see where they make a good profit >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

If you have problems with socks that you need to do walking, then maybe some of the outdoor shops would sell specific walking socks, that will fit nice and snuggly in your walking boots

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Strange topic?

Is it just me, or has all the companies who make socks lost their minds?

In the last few years, or so, socks have been an easy purchase through whatever company you prefer. Now when buying socks, it is almost impossible to find medium thickness sock that last longer than a week, or two. A lot of brands including Hanes, fruit of the loom, Dickies, Carhartt and so on, make ultra-thin socks that last a week, or two tops.

Do any of you like a thicker sock? If so, what brand do you buy? (not heavy wool socks either)

I do a lot of walking, the added cushion and sweat absorption is needed.

Thanks in advance.
    Not just you. Actually pretty typical in a "competitive" environment where the competition has settled to a handful of providers (aka oligopoly). They are satisfied with their market share, so rather than trying to improve (or even maintain) their products to improve market share, they are cutting quality (therefore costs) to improve profits of what they do sell.

This isn't an arbitrary decision for most companies. Their bean counters have figured out that they will make more money being satisfied than trying to increase market share. Market competition sounds great in theory but are utterly laughable when you understand how markets actually work in the real world.

I walk around 4 miles a day, socks from discount stores last me around a year or so. Perhaps it's your footwear.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh