Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Spoilers] Lillian Voss' Role in BfA

See the broadcast text.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=283532/b...moore-spoilers

She is a Horde only champion in legion already so this may not be a big surprise. Though I personally do hope she could remain an undead not affiliated with Alliance/Horde.

And some inputs of forsaken culture from Lilian's perspective. Hope Blizzard could finally give forsaken some development on racial identity beyond Sylvanas.

This move also technically makes it possible for Lilian to lead forsaken at some point, even though there should still a long way to go from being a member to being famous/powerful enough to contend the leadership position.

Lilian: It's not exactly a science, becoming Forsaken. You might stay the same, become a completely different person... or maybe you might actually just die.

Lilian: No person should think of the Forsaken as a second chance for anything.

Lilian: Terrible. Those that don't shun you will never treat you the same again. You look in a mirror and all you'll see is a monster, something that isn't you.
    Lilian: But... there is a bond in this curse, shared by all Forsaken. A bond that makes us family in this torment. A family that will never go away.
    Last edited by Ash123; 2018-04-14 at 04:44 AM.

The text was well written, but completely out of character.

Voss has never been aligned with the Forsaken/Horde so her going on about "family" is asinine.

She's also far less psychotic than she was in WoD.

Really, I wish they kept the dialogue, but replaced Voss with someone like Belmont, Kiryn or Lydon. Maybe take out the self-loathing bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Koraggar View Post

Voss has never been aligned with the Forsaken/Horde so her going on about "family" is asinine.

I would say Blizzard simply rewrites this characters. It is ok for me as long as the newly written character could lead to some new and interesting story.

Deleted
    She's been Horde in Legion too, she was the Horde counterpart of Tess Greymane as rogue orderhall champion.

Why is this so bad? She's made peace (somewhat) with what she is and tries to make the best of her situation. She doesn't want to die, because she could easily have done so a lot of times by now and if she had actually still believed what the Scarlets taught her, she'd have let them kill her and gladly so, because she was an abomination by their standards. So she knew even then that something wasn't quite right with them and their teachings.

This dialogue (all of it, not only the snippet above) explains at least a little about her thought process and her development, a lot more than we got in Legion where at some point she just showed up and joined the Uncrowned, becoming a follower for Horde characters (and sending characters of both factions to the respective enemy cities to kill some supposed Legion agents.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ash123 View Post
    I would say Blizzard simply rewrites this characters. It is ok for me as long as the newly written character could lead to some new and interesting story.
    Fair enough . I think the shift from independant anti-necromancer > horde-patriot actively raising people is a bit jarring, but characters do change quite quickly in WoW I suppose.

And yeah, this likely means voss will be the new forsaken leader. Not sure how I'll feel about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    She's been Horde in Legion too, she was the Horde counterpart of Tess Greymane as rogue orderhall champion.

Why is this so bad? She's made peace (somewhat) with what she is and tries to make the best of her situation. She doesn't want to die, because she could easily have done so a lot of times by now and if she had actually still believed what the Scarlets taught her, she'd have let them kill her and gladly so, because she was an abomination by their standards. So she knew even then that something wasn't quite right with them and their teachings.

This dialogue (all of it, not only the snippet above) explains at least a little about her thought process and her development, a lot more than we got in Legion where at some point she just showed up and joined the Uncrowned, becoming a follower for Horde characters (and sending characters of both factions to the respective enemy cities to kill some supposed Legion agents.)
    She's less Horde than Garona.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a natural path for her in becoming the next leader of the Forsaken.
    I wouldn't mind this, especially after this little back and forth with the sea priest. It's just kind of jarring how fast this happened. I would have liked to actually see the character growth before they make a sudden drastic personality change.

Overall, if this is the direction they want to take the Forsaken in, I will be happy. I have high hopes for the Desolate Council as well.

death to Voss.
    which ever dev did this is a complete idiot and should be removed from the lore team.

so i chose to blame golden
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted

She's less Horde than Garona.

No, actually more, because Garona joined my Alliance toon too as a follower. Voss didn't.

No, actually more, because Garona joined my Alliance toon too as a follower. Voss didn't.
    There is a difference between being a Horde follower for gameplay purposes and actually being a part of the Horde as a faction. Voss has never worked for the Horde or the Forsaken before, Garona did a bit in Cataclysm.

Really, I wish they kept the dialogue, but replaced Voss with someone like Belmont, Kiryn or Lydon. Maybe take out the self-loathing bit.
    Its almost like some mediocre NY times writer is writing this stuff. I think she goes by Christie Golden.

Because one of the major points of Voss's character is how you can have undead possessing free will out of the Forsaken. Having her suddenly decide to join them undermines this entire aspect of her.

Deleted
    There is a difference between being a Horde follower for gameplay purposes and actually being a part of the Horde as a faction. Voss has never worked for the Horde or the Forsaken before, Garona did a bit in Cataclysm.
    Yea, but Voss did in Legion. Garona worked for both, so at least they're even, and not one more 'Horde aligned' than the other. It's not a stretch after all her lone endeavors that Voss wants to be part of something again and there's only one place she can go to for that, that's the Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Because one of the major points of Voss's character is how you can have undead possessing free will out of the Forsaken. Having her suddenly decide to join them undermines this entire aspect of her.
    How so? She still proved that you can be an undead with free will without being Forsaken, for which, btw, she isn't the only example, so it can't actually have been her purpose. This guy https://wow.gamepedia.com/Gunther_Arcanus was around before her and now there's also Alonsus Faol. Both are not Forsaken.
    Last edited by mmoc1d0f52de2b; 2018-04-14 at 05:09 AM.

I would welcome a less insane Forsaken leader. I feel as though they've veered so far off from their original flavor that its hard to imagine them peacefully existing alongside any other race.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    I wouldn't mind this, especially after this little back and forth with the sea priest. It's just kind of jarring how fast this happened. I would have liked to actually see the character growth before they make a sudden drastic personality change.

Overall, if this is the direction they want to take the Forsaken in, I will be happy. I have high hopes for the Desolate Council as well.
    Keep in mind it has been quite the few years since Cataclysm and her Tirisfall->Socholomance storyline. The development could have happened off screen, as is the case with many such events in WoW.

As far as Desolate Council goes they are more like the jealous girlfriend angry that Sylvanas is not giving the Forsaken her absolutely undivided attention, as far as the Blizzcon pitch goes anyaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Its almost like some mediocre NY times writer is writing this stuff. I think she goes by Christie Golden.
    I don't like Golden, but I doubt she has that much control over the direction of the narrative. She probably just writes the dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    EXACTLY. Like, this is fine but why not use a pre-established Forsaken character instead of shoving in the independent one?

Yea, but Voss did in Legion. Garona worked for both, so at least they're even, and not one more 'Horde aligned' than the other. It's not a stretch after all her lone endeavors that Voss wants to be part of something again and there's only one place she can go to for that, that's the Forsaken.
    Voss worked for the Uncrowned. She was a "horde" follower for gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    I would welcome a less insane Forsaken leader. I feel as though they've veered so far off from their original flavor that its hard to imagine them peacefully existing alongside any other race.
    Sanity isn't Voss' strong suit.

You! You're the one that found me the blade, correct? I have need of your services again.

The blade worked wonderfully, allowing me to sever the tormented undead from this world. Their screams were such beautiful music.
    Yes, yes this is perfect. It is time, little souls, to return to the twisting darkness.

<Lilian cackles madly.>

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    You mean, how only the Tauren tought they could be worthwhile? Or how they were singlemindedly obsessed, with vengeance against the Lich King.

They never got the chance to peacefully coexist and not for the lack of trying on their part in aftermath of WC3.

The one good thing about this dialogue for me is that it shows us why some Forsaken would actually choose the "cursed" state. For this guy in particular he wants to keep helping his family in any way he can.

Though I still prefer the "in death we are reborn" Forsaken.

Deleted

Voss worked for the Uncrowned. She was a "horde" follower for gameplay.
    Uh.. well, that's not how I saw it. She was the counterpart for Tess and it doesn't get much more 'Alliance' than that. I was surprised to see Voss on the Horde side, but I didn't think it was a huge stretch for her to go there. She's been looking for a purpose in her existence for quite some time now and maybe she wanted to give the Forsaken a try. After all, they have not actually been hindering her in any way and at times even helped her greatly, even though she shunned and shamed them at first.

Sanity isn't Voss' strong suit.

This I agree with

Spoiler much

Voss is a significantly overrated character anyways lol