U.S. to export pork to Argentina under new rules after 26 years

This somehow flew under my radar, but great stuff from our president in the trade front (as always).

WASHINGTON, April 13 (Reuters) - U.S. pork will be imported into Argentina for the first time since 1992 under newly finalized technical and safety rules, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Trade Representative’s (USTR) office said on Friday.

The technical requirements implement a deal announced last August following a meeting between Argentine President Mauricio Macri and U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence in Buenos Aires.

Argentina had blocked imports of U.S. pork for about 26 years, citing animal health concerns. The deal is expected to open up a potential $10-million-per-year market for U.S. pork producers, the U.S. agencies said.

The United States, the world’s leading pork exporter with global sales of $6.5 billion, exports about 27 percent of its pork production, making it highly dependent on foreign markets at a time when hog supplies are growing seasonally.

Japan, Mexico and Canada are the top three destinations for U.S. pork.

Since the announcement in August, USDA and USTR have been working with Argentina’s Ministry of Agro-Industry on new, science-based market access terms that are consistent with international animal health standards. “Once the people of Argentina get a taste of American pork products after all this time, we are sure they’ll want more of it,” USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue said in a statement.

The deal shows the Trump administration’s commitment to trade by launching markets for agricultural products, Perdue added.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...-idUSL1N1RQ07I

15+ Year Old Account
    I do love how so many articles blatantly say that many US industries are entirely reliant on foreign trade, and then look at our current administration and what it often says about foreign trade.

I'm wary of how much of this was Trump and how much of this was just plans that had been in the making for decades that Trump decided to take credit for.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I oppose almost everything Trump does in regards to trade. I support the free markets, not the bullshit threats and tariffs he wants to impose.

As for this particular deal, it doesn't really state what the agreement was all about, so I will reserve judgment on this single deal.

We are giving up several billion dollar market for a potential 10 million dollar market? Not to mention a market for miscellaneous meat (snouts, ears, hoofs, etc.). A pig farmer said it best, "The Chinese will eat all the parts, except for the squeal."

Argentina has a trade surplus with the US by Trump logic Argentina is a country with a bunch of loser negotiators who are getting screwed by everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Some things become increasingly obvious with posts like these.

Why be subtle when there are no consequences?

I've been open about my support for Trump's trade policies, that you are seemingly unable to understand that people are able to hold views that are not mainstream and view them as trolling or baiting is not my problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Well, I will grant you that the Trump administration has been very fond of pork...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    This somehow flew under my radar, but great stuff from our president in the trade front (as always).

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...-idUSL1N1RQ07I
    It's a bit early to call Pence president isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account

[IMG]https://media1.tenor.com/images/e7e7df128453e14d4eb03d52809b5bb8/tenor.gifIMG]
    The irony that it's a Russian song isn't lost on everyone I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    27% isn’t entirely reliant. I concur it’s a significant chunk, but when 3/4 of all production is sold domestically, that hardly qualifies as “entirely reliant”.
    I am going to state the obvious but he said many industries, there are industries that are 80 - 100% reliant on foreign trade from needing supplies, parts to sales.