Poll: Legal requirement for informed parental notification before underage abortion?

Page 1 of 38
... LastLast

Should teen girls be required to notify their parents if they get an abortion?

Some states like Delaware, Florida and Georgia require pregnant teens to inform a parent of their decision to get an abortion. While I personally don't see this as problematic (if I was a parent of a 16 year old that got pregnant, I would definitely want to know) but I was more curious about people's thoughts and whether I could build up a general consensus on people's opinions on youth reproductive rights.

To reinterate, this is only asking if parents should be required to be informed. This is not asking whether or not the parents should have the ability to consent to their teenage daughter getting an abortion.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2018-04-17 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were it my daughter; I'd prefer she got an abortion in secret (safely), than carry out an unwanted pregnancy because she was afraid to tell me she wanted to terminate the pregnancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Hell no. There's crazy religious parents our there. Her body her choice.

No with a side of NOOOOOOOOO.

Deleted
    If I'm old enough to get pregnant, I'm old enough to not depend on my guardians for this particular decision.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Were it my daughter; I'd prefer she got an abortion in secret (safely), than carry out an unwanted pregnancy because she was afraid to tell me she wanted to terminate the pregnancy.
    Especially if she would then abandon the baby afterwards or leave it to die. That's much more traumatizing than an abortion.

MANY years ago when I was 16 I snuck down to planned parenthood and got birth control and my mom never found out about it. Now, I have a daughter that I was planning to put on birth control when she becomes of age (16-17-ish) and I can say I would want to know if she ever got one but I wouldnt punish her either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I would hope I wasn't a shitty enough parent that my kid couldn't talk about this with me and her mother should this actually happen.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    If I'm old enough to get pregnant, I'm old enough to not depend on my guardians for this particular decision.
    You realize girls most girls can get pregnant at 11 or 12 right? And in some cases younger. Kids that young are not old enough to make big decisions like that.

I rather she tells it to her confident, the mother, without necessarily letting me know.
    I made my ex girlfriend pregnant and she had an abortion, who the f am i to teach the lesson as a parent.

Since a pocket of developing cells is not a person I say no.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    That's a great point, I like to think that if I were a parent, my hypothetical daughter would trust me enough to tell me, but that's not always the case. Not every parent is like that or would like to be like that, so I guess a teen having the right to do it in secret should be an available option.

No. Parents being religious nutcases should not stop people from doing whats best for them.
    Last edited by Aggrophobic; 2018-04-17 at 04:09 PM.

No, why should they have to?

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    You realize girls most girls can get pregnant at 11 or 12 right? And in some cases younger. Kids that young are not old enough to make big decisions like that.
    Yes, but how many preteens do you think get pregnant relative to 15-16-17 year olds?

Deleted
    I think you're doing them a disservice not to. Abortion should - irregardless of whether you believe it or not - at least be the last way out. So if your daughter's missing basic sexual knowledge while having sexual intercourse I think you're entitled to know so you can educate your daughter and act accordingly.

Here in Ireland abortion is currently illegal [there's a referendum going out to have the 8th amendment removed to make it legal]... and known people who are pregnant are stopped from going abroad to have an abortion.

As such, many people have to keep quiet about it to have their abortion abroad without interference.

So it really depends on the teen's circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I would say no 12 year old should be forced to carry a baby to term because their parents disagree with abortion, which is what would happen if they were informed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    No because she shouldn’t be allowed to murder babies, period. I know. Crazy opinion huh /rolls eye. Monsters.
    Murder is the unlawful killing of another person. Abortion is legal, as such it is not murder.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Yes, but how many preteens do you think get pregnant relative to 15-16-17 year olds?
    Oh I don't disagree at all! I actually didn't even vote, because for me its not yes or no, it depends. And I am not claiming to have the right answer. I was just saying that you can't put a blanket statement that if you can get pregnant you have the mind to make decisions like that by yourself.