Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I heard a lot of people keep repeating this. And you DO get a lot of exp from the invasions. It's just finding enough invasions to make it reliable.

Is there something I'm missing? Cross-serve grouping or something to get more out of it than once a day(or however often they pop up?).
    Nope. They're not a "reliable" way to level, but when they're up they're absolutely worth it to head over to them and complete every WQ they offer. Given that many folks don't just binge level all at once and usually spread it over a few days with 2-3 hour sessions, it's likely they'll run across multiple invasions which just speeds things up in that level range.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I dislike the change to mob HP in instances, it made them pointless from my point of view. I mean, I am not doing them anymore, yeah, ggwp.
    Instance scaling was the best thing to happen to leveling. They were boring when it was a zergfest. At least now you actually have to tryl. It's finally fun to dungeon at a lower levels and I find running dungeons exponentially more fun than more quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    You don't. Blizzard can't make money off of boosts if you do it fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    You don't. Blizzard can't make money off of boosts if you do it fast.
    They're not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGregor3 View Post
    lol blizzard can't fuken win can they :]]]]
    With millions of customers they can't make everyone happy, hell... even 100 people would be a challenge.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGregor3 View Post
    lol blizzard can't fuken win can they :]]]]
    I know they say "don't judge a book by it's cover", but holy shit.

I have no patient at all to lvl another toon \=

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    Instance scaling was the best thing to happen to leveling. They were boring when it was a zergfest. At least now you actually have to tryl. It's finally fun to dungeon at a lower levels and I find running dungeons exponentially more fun than more quests.
    They didn't really do shit except jack up the time taken. They didn't make levelling more challenging, more dangerous, or more interesting. They just made it slower. That's not really an improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

The interesting thing is that the same change which makes running dungeons tedious while leveling up also makes soloing them(or using Method-0) so much faster!
    Soloing isn't really time-efficient. I like Method-0 though.

Quote Originally Posted by blahism View Post
    That's an important point, actually.

The fact that people have a bit of a better choice for what kinds of content they consume while leveling is a good thing, even if people don't really like one or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by terasatan View Post
    They didn't really do shit except jack up the time taken. They didn't make levelling more challenging, more dangerous, or more interesting. They just made it slower. That's not really an improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Soloing isn't really time-efficient. I like Method-0 though.
    Well, in that context of "solo" I really just meant Method-0. But I also meant things like Kara trash runs, or clearing TBC heroics.

You could still sort of do this before the new scaling. It just makes a few more dungeons more viable for it.

Questing is the fastest way to level.

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    First, the mob kill XP is not very good. The completion XP however is pretty good. Second, it has been said a few times already in this thread that some dungeons are quick enough that the XP is worth it. I don't know about pre-58, but I know for a fact that running Ramparts gets you half a level each run. Your speed is dictated by your group. I am currently leveling a Monk, healing through Ramparts runs and I gain a level with 2 runs. The problem is when you get a level 58 Warrior with crap gear and they're not smart with their pulls.

Don't you think it's possible that Blizz wants the leveling experience to actually be worth something? Of course they want to make money but not all of their decisions are about money. These changes were made to make leveling a better experience. Plain and simple.
    all i can say is i have 36 toons above 100 and couldnt give less fucks about heritage armour so there is huge chance i will never level up another toon again with how garbage leveling has become and i fucking loved leveling alts during content droughts so f........ ck greedy bastards at blizz for fucking up leveling

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    all i can say is i have 36 toons above 100 and couldnt give less fucks about heritage armour so there is huge chance i will never level up another toon again with how garbage leveling has become and i fucking loved leveling alts during content droughts so f........ ck greedy bastards at blizz for fucking up leveling
    The really tragic part about the entire thing is that they came SO close to getting it right.

Scaling is actually not a bad idea. It just needs to be applied with more intelligence and forethought. Instead of splitting expansions into level ranges(1-60, 60-80, 8-90, etc...), they should have just let EVERY zone scale up to 100, with no minimums for any zone except maybe those that require flight(because good luck in Deepholme without flying).

You enjoy WotLK? Cool! Spend your entire leveling experience from 10-100 there. Never played TBC because you started in MoP? Begin with HFP and end up wherever by the time you finish SMV and Netherstorm. Enjoy the old world? Just keep plugging away at Kalimdor and EK until you reach 100.

And whatever they do, they should probably turn down the HP, and up the damage of virtually every enemy, including the dungeons.

I recently started a fresh toon on a new server. It wasn't 100% new because Heirlooms are account-wide, so I had access to those. But I felt it went waaaayyy too fast.

I leveled 1-60 in Eastern Kingdoms alone... never stepping foot in Kalimdor. 70-80 you choose between going to Outland or Northrend. I chose Northrend and finished about 3 zones before getting the quest to choose the next leveling options. You chose between Cataclysm or Pandaria for 80-90. I went to Pandaria, and dinged 90 after about 3 zones of content. You then get recruited to go to Draenor (absolutely no backstory here, so it was pretty confusing as to why I was headed there). But for 90-100, thats where you are. Again I finished about 3 zones before I hit 100 (no heirlooms at this point since I didn't bother upgrading them). Then Legion starts.

So yeah, way too fast. You do about 3 zones before going on to the next expansion. So much skipped content.

It's slower for sure but it's way more fun now. I even managed to get Loremaster while leveling my allied races by planning out which zones each character should complete and it was a lot of fun (especially Icecrown with its arsenal of elite mobs... tank pet classes are recommended). It was also pretty surprising seeing the number of amazing quests I skipped over the years, like the Redridge mountain campaign for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    I recently started a fresh toon on a new server. It wasn't 100% new because Heirlooms are account-wide, so I had access to those. But I felt it went waaaayyy too fast.

I leveled 1-60 in Eastern Kingdoms alone... never stepping foot in Kalimdor. 70-80 you choose between going to Outland or Northrend. I chose Northrend and finished about 3 zones before getting the quest to choose the next leveling options. You chose between Cataclysm or Pandaria for 80-90. I went to Pandaria, and dinged 90 after about 3 zones of content. You then get recruited to go to Draenor (absolutely no backstory here, so it was pretty confusing as to why I was headed there). But for 90-100, thats where you are. Again I finished about 3 zones before I hit 100 (no heirlooms at this point since I didn't bother upgrading them). Then Legion starts.

So yeah, way too fast. You do about 3 zones before going on to the next expansion. So much skipped content.
    I personally think that the pace sounds about right. I don't think that we're meant to play through each single zone while levelling one character, even without heirlooms equipped, as it leaves a few "unexplored" zones open for you which allows you to level your next alt without having to re-visit the zones you already completed with your previous alt.

I levelled 3 alts together and each of them completed their own zones and this made the levelling experience much better for me as I didn't have to repeat any quests on other alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    I personally think that the pace sounds about right. I don't think that we're meant to play through each single zone while levelling one character, even without heirlooms equipped, as it leaves a few "unexplored" zones open for you which allows you to level your next alt without having to re-visit the zones you already completed with your previous alt.

I levelled 3 alts together and each of them completed their own zones and this made the levelling experience much better for me as I didn't have to repeat any quests on other alts.
    Each zone had specific level bracket and should give as many levels as the bracket indicates, for example a 40-45 zone should be giving 5 levels with no looms / raf, a 45-48 zone should give 3 levels etc. We can't see the old brackets on the map anymore due to scaling, but each zone was designed with specific amounts of quests to give you specific amounts of xp and the amount of quests didn't change. People say the xp per level changed.

But so far I took my new allied race char with looms and completed a zone, got around 7,5 levels out of it, so without looms it would be 5, as looms are 1,5x modifier. Will have to see if some further expansions are "broken" as people claim, but so far it seems the xp rate is as intended. If I completed a zone and got 3 levels instead of 5, I'd start to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post

This is too slow because we have 110 levels now, not 80 or 70 or 60. Soon 120.

What you describe is basically how the zones were when they were released plus the effect from heirlooms. That is, in MoP, people were dinging 90 in zone 5, now you are saying you dinged in zone 3 - that's more or less the 50% the heirlooms give you plus knowing where the quests are so that you don't skip them.

But the XP has always been gradually nerfed after some time. Because of new levels adding on top. What the change ends up with is undoing the XP nerfs that we accumulated over the years and leaving only the benefits of heirlooms / knowledge / flying. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but it is a significant slow down and, to me, it is unpleasant. The gameplay did not get better, sorry. I am not seeing it being better. I am seeing it being more tedious, although yes, there are a couple of pros, like not having to switch zones.

The main question is: how long should it take for a character to get from 1 to max. Now, I don't know what the answer should be for a new player, but for an experienced player, the time to level a character from scratch to max should be something like 6-8 hours of playtime. Yes, for real. We are constantly talking about times like 48 hours, we laud 24 hours as great, but it should be MUCH lower. There is absolutely no reason for leveling of your 10-th character to take, say, 30 hours instead of 6. 6 hours is several times longer than what it takes to get familiar with the spec, you will press every button hundreds of times and you will know all of the basics and everything you could possibly know from leveling. Yet for some reason that time to level a character for an experienced player with all the tricks like heirlooms and XP buffs and flying and knowledge of where the XP is, maps of treasures, you name it - even with all this stuff, the time to level from 1 to 110 was like 30 hours and now it got to like 40 hours... It's just bad, it's a step in a completely wrong direction.

Deleted
    I leveled a ton of characters before scaling leveling and 2 since it has released and my total /played to max level is the same as it was before.

Just quest, don't do the same dungeon more than once and you should be fine.

Well, in that context of "solo" I really just meant Method-0. But I also meant things like Kara trash runs, or clearing TBC heroics.

You could still sort of do this before the new scaling. It just makes a few more dungeons more viable for it.
    Yeah, I see your point.

Method 0 1-70. Kara 70-80. Method 0 80-90. 90-100 treasures, 100-110 invasions.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    for an experienced player, the time to level a character from scratch to max should be something like 6-8 hours of playtime
    Not in the world where every extra lvl cap character = extra license to print gold. Character producing assembly lines like old RAF had to go, together with uber mega xp elixirs. 6-8 hours is reasonable for levelling from old expansion cap to current expansion cap, not from scratch. It never took 6-8 hours normally, without some cheese like RAF powerboosting.