Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Playing ranged or a healer is extremely unfun

World of meleecraft.

Yeah, this thing again.

I'm not a super big pvper, I really enjoy doing battlegrounds a couple times of day but I struggle to really try push myself to find a team. I've had experience at 2k rating in TBC and 2.2k in MoP as a restokin and disc priest respectively.

After simply not having time to pvp in previous expansions because of the long gearing process, Legion's stat templates seemed like the perfect time to try get into PvP.

As an altoholic who plays literally every class except DK and Pala at 110 regularly and with trying to do the Arena Skirmish weekly quest as basically every spec I realise just how grossly unbalanced this game is towards melee.

As Havoc or a Warrior I can just pop cool downs and tunnel forever, rarely getting slowed/snared enough to not have basically 80% uptime on a caster or a healer. It's been basically the same case for all my melee.

As a ranged however, I find myself struggling to survive longer than 30 seconds in some cases. Double melee comps is just GG as a shadow priest or an elemental shaman. I just find myself being so damn frustrated being locked all the time. Yes I can fake cast but that's not going to work all the time. As disc, cast shadow mend, locked. Cast penance, locked. It's just so unfun to play as a healer that isn't a resto druid or a dps class that isn't melee any more.

Am I being irrational? Do I just need to find an actual teammate? It can't be that much better playing against an organised melee team surely.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I experience as well, I play shadow and that's the exact thing that happens to me. So no you're not being irrational at all it's just how this expansion is sadly enough.
    Last edited by Ramaloce; 2018-05-15 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

No its true. PVP has largely become both teams tunneling each others healer and whoever out damages wins. Sure there are still some comps that require CC and coordination but the majority are just idiot dps comps.

That's very much how pvp looks live now. Melee dps are doing far more dmg than any range spec while having more survi, sustain, cc, uptime and burst. Playing as healer is simply painful experience where you can get melted in globals and you can't do much to survive it. You can't fake cast or you die, you can't cast because you will be locket forever especially when enemies are BE, you can't kite as melee are having so many gap closers and mobility

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing a ranged dps solo is hellish nowadays. Most kiting tools were pruned, defensives were simplified/pruned, and a lot of melee didn't lose many mobility spells going from WoD->Legion. DH is the worst of all. They're basically just copies of windwalker with much better defensives and the ability to ignore hunter traps just by double jumping over them. And you can't forget about the 30 yard range undispellable AoE slow with two charges. Never has a class been so easy yet so oppressive.

Even as a hunter, which is supposed to be THE kiting class, you just have to take your hands off the keyboard once a melee catches up to you when you don't have disengage, turtle, or freezing trap up.

Basically, kiting vs gapclosing is no longer something won through skill. You now win the battle at the character creation screen.

That was I heard from others, playing ranged is not fun at all.

Deleted
    Wod frost mage was fun as hell, but in Legion they felt sorta clunky.

On the other hand, afflocks are still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Wod frost mage was fun as hell, but in Legion they felt sorta clunky.

On the other hand, afflocks are still awesome.
    Even as an afflock its still pretty traumatic to play vs a double melee comp.

Especially something like warrior/DH or FDK/DH where they just literally do not leave your face except the 2 seconds you get from porting / gateway.

If I had control of my character or was not silenced, I would really enjoy playing my healer. There is no fun in playing if you are not actually playing, just waiting for your stun/silence to wear off.

Deleted
    have u ever hit the arena nowadays.

There are locks everywhere dude.

Well, yeah, but I still enjoy playing my Mage in PvP.

Deleted
    The reason this particularly frustrates me is that it doesn't look like it's getting better next expansion at all. They're upping auto attack damage and removing a lot of distance makers for ranged (gust of wind, displacer beast).

I just don't get it. Why every single ranged class in the game doesn't have a baseline gust of wind/blink really baffles me when melee are running around with shadow step, fel rush, roll, charge and so on.

Spriest were almost in all arenas i played last season. So not every ranged are weak.

Playing casters and healers has a much steeper curve to being "not terrible" than a melee. I don't think the game is necessarily unbalanced in melee's favor, it's just that you can be a complete retard and play melee pretty ok, while you need to think a lot more about what's going to happen next as a caster and especially healer.

Lower brackets are always more favorable towards melee due to lack of coordination and proper cd management, also the fact that a lot of casters/healers in lower brackets are prone to panic when being tunnel by 1 or more melee and have the instinct to turn and flee to somehow "escape" the problem which almost always ends up helping the melee destroy the target easier, there's a reason casters are always apparent in the upper ends of the ladder after all.

It is generally easier to kill a target as a melee class in lower brackets due to the nature of how it functions, while casters need to cast and generally have to deal with interrupts and such, proper cd management and positioning is something that rarely exists in the mind of a fearful caster trying to run away from the big axe trying to chop him.
    Last edited by wholol; 2018-05-15 at 10:06 AM.

It has become easier for a melee to stay at melee range (too many gap closers) than for a caster to keep a melee at range.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahkhun View Post
    Even as an afflock its still pretty traumatic to play vs a double melee comp.

Especially something like warrior/DH or FDK/DH where they just literally do not leave your face except the 2 seconds you get from porting / gateway.
    Lmao to be fair, I'm a rogue and playing double melee (especially DH & DK) is just cancerous. I'm forced to try and kite and focus a healer (which feels dirty) while my mage tries to peel. DK and DH are simply too strong atm, however DK and Arms is pretty savage as well.

and melee are saying 'world of rangecraft'. Double edged sword dude.

There are some classes that can get out of snares, okay all of them. Mages have nova to put people in place for a period of time - I see many mages not use thier elemental which to me brightens my day as I know they have only one nova, two nova's im dead. Mages are the best counter to any melee, you see a cloak and him running toward you, iceblock, reset. See a pally derping with freedom after you nova'd him, spellsteal nova and fire away.

Druids are druids, balance is okay as they can get out of snares.

Locks have really no movement, thats their only dig really. yeah yeah portal smortal, it sucks. An hour cast on shadowfury and the DR on fear IF you get it off.

Ele, well they are squishy, no movement and their stun is laughable.

sPriests are nice, but a tad squish, need something to stun, like the ole mindflay stun.

mages are top of the food chain vs melee, with Ele's being the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarathqt View Post
    have u ever hit the arena nowadays.

There are locks everywhere dude.
    Just because locks are in a great spot damage and utility wise does not mean its not still fucking traumatic when 2 melees connect with you lol.

Its got to the point where they just PvE people down through defensive cooldowns and a freecasting healer because they are just shitting out 500-600k dps each. Healers are dying in 3 globals on openers vs double melee comps with rogues in if they dont pop trinket.

Shit i played DH/Rogue/Hpala yesterday and we just mongo'd in straight onto another paladin. he failed a fake cast and got kicked. died before he could cast again.

I actually feel like a window licker when playing melee comps its nearly free rating, When on my shamen or warlock though its a whole different story, desperatly attempting to kite so i can get a good set of CC off with my team coupled with interrupts to secure a kill.

It's like melee comps are playing COD and casters/healers are playing CS:GO.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Playing a ranged dps solo is hellish nowadays. Most kiting tools were pruned, defensives were simplified/pruned, and a lot of melee didn't lose many mobility spells going from WoD->Legion. DH is the worst of all. They're basically just copies of windwalker with much better defensives and the ability to ignore hunter traps just by double jumping over them. And you can't forget about the 30 yard range undispellable AoE slow with two charges. Never has a class been so easy yet so oppressive.

Even as a hunter, which is supposed to be THE kiting class, you just have to take your hands off the keyboard once a melee catches up to you when you don't have disengage, turtle, or freezing trap up.

Basically, kiting vs gapclosing is no longer something won through skill. You now win the battle at the character creation screen.
    Huntera Are just as oppressive as dh, and in lost cases easier. Bm oneshot macro is alot of fun
    We humans have to stick together