10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to not watch another show ruined by staff consumed with an agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    But you can have pandering and bad writing without wokeness. That's sort of... my point.
    You will rarely have that in any major recognizable franchise from the 2010s onwards unless it's a small independent studio full of no-names.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2022-01-20 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    You will rarely have that in any major recognizable franchise from the 2010s onwards unless it's a small independent studio full of no-names.
    That's just a silly statement. You're saying that EVERY case of bad writing in a major production is necessarily because of wokeness?

No one is saying there isn't wokeness put into stuff at the expense of good writing sometimes, but to claim that's always what's behind bad writing in major works is patently absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    For some reason that narration lacked the weight the previous one had and it sounded kinda cringe
    The music also sounds generic as fuck and is way too loud and droning. Already confirming my concerns that this is going to be the average trashy fantasy show just with a higher budget.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Will give that a chance but, y'know, Amazon, so not really having high hopes.
    High chances it's cancelled in the middle of a cliffhanger if it's not pulling the expected amount of $$$

Amazon needs this to be a success. They can't have another "Wheel of Time" on their hands.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I just can't get hyped about any adaptations these days. Though my interest is piqued by the fact it was practical effects

If you can't get Cate Blanchett to do the intro then don't try a cheap knock off version of it. Heck, why use Galadriel at all? There are plenty of others who lorewise would work just as well. Sauron for instance.

If you are worried about the direction of the show, then this probably doesn't inspire you at all.

“It’s about the early days of the Shire and of Tolkien’s environment, so we’re an indigenous population of Harfoots, we’re hobbits but we’re called Harfoots. We’re multi-cultural, we’re a tribe not a race, so there are Black, Asian and brown, even Maori types within it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    If you can't get Cate Blanchett to do the intro then don't try a cheap knock off version of it. Heck, why use Galadriel at all? There are plenty of others who lorewise would work just as well. Sauron for instance.

If you are worried about the direction of the show, then this probably doesn't inspire you at all.

“It’s about the early days of the Shire and of Tolkien’s environment, so we’re an indigenous population of Harfoots, we’re hobbits but we’re called Harfoots. We’re multi-cultural, we’re a tribe not a race, so there are Black, Asian and brown, even Maori types within it."
    How to alienate a portion of your possible fan base in a few paragraphs.

Critics of this nonsense are very often blamed for this diversity stuff,when in reality shows and movies have been making D&I the highlight of their product for ages and with no ones help but their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Abandon hope... I never had it from the start, considering it's "the current year".
    After Wokeness of Time this is a very likely scenario. Seems like Amazon likes to piss on these legendary materials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see this thread is already infested with the kind of garbage that is typical for this sub-forum. Might be a record on my abandonment of a thread. Some of you should start clubs that don't allow "wokeness," or women, or progress, or whatever else you wanna bitch and moan about like children. I think some special "clubs" already exist, actually, you'd fit right in!
    Nothing better than some logical fallacies to show your own allegiance to the intellectual dishonesty club, huh

I see this thread is already infested with the kind of garbage that is typical for this sub-forum. Might be a record on my abandonment of a thread. Some of you should start clubs that don't allow "wokeness," or women, or progress, or whatever else you wanna bitch and moan about like children. I think some special "clubs" already exist, actually, you'd fit right in!
    I would just wish that the woke crowd would make tv/games/whatever on original material that is made as woke from the beginning, instead of enforcing "wokeness" on something that never was intended to be woke.

So I hope that Amazon will let LotR be how it was made originally and let the wokes make their own woke material and let the market sort out what people want.
    Maybe there is room for both. And that would be true diversity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Miss me with your bullshit. Go cry about an "agenda" somewhere. Oh, you're already doing it. Neat.
    That's surprising. I wouldn't say you had the ability to see bullshit.

Let's see, who was that intentionally ignored what everyone here means when they talk about "wokeness"?

Who was that intentionally - and dishonestly - equated being agaisnt "wokeness" with being agaisnt empowering the traditionally disempowered?

It's alright, I understand that this absolute equation is crucial to your attempt at undermining entirely legitimate criticisms.

But go on, please lecture me on how much of a bigot I inherently am, while endorsing the instrumentalization of Identity in an insidious, superficial and, ironically enough, bigotted fashion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a dude. I'm just not a fragile, miserable cunt.
    Are you entirely sure about that?

Cause it seems you're providing evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    That's surprising. I wouldn't say you had the ability to see bullshit.

Let's see, who was that intentionally ignored what everyone here means when they talk about "wokeness"?

Who was that intentionally - and dishonestly - equated being agaisnt "wokeness" with being agaisnt empowering the traditionally disempowered?

It's alright, I understand that this absolute equation is crucial to your attempt at undermining entirely legitimate criticisms.

But go on, please lecture me on how much of a bigot I inherently am, while endorsing the instrumentalization of Identity in an insidious, superficial and, ironically enough, bigotted fashion.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you entirely sure about that?

Cause it seems you're providing evidence to the contrary.
    I love this, basically the most belittling way possible of the bigot folly!

Abandon hope... I never had it from the start, considering it's "the current year".
    "I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. I will claim the throne and save my people."

That was true in the books but not in the Peter Jackson films. For whatever reason, Jackson turned Aragorn from a confidant middle-aged man and leader ready to assume kingship and was actively involved in fighting against Sauron before the plot began, to being some lonely young fellow who sat around in a tavern and did nothing until the plot fell into his lap, and had self-doubt and tried worming his way out of responsibility.

That being said, there is no doubt that the Jackson films would absolutely be far closer to the spirit of the source material than... whatever this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Rayne View Post
    Well the Silmarillion is grimdark by almost any definition. So it's like Classical Grimdark Fantasy.
    The Simarillion is not grimdark. The light of Eru is at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps the only grimdark work of Tolkien with little to no hope in it might be Turin's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Except....that scene is book accurate.
    The dialogue and intent of the scene is very different in the book than what you got in the movie.

sad but true most likely

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    if lotr came out now you'd be crying about eowyn kiling the witchking - muuhhh women.
    Oh look there were strong women everywhere admired by millions of fans predating Twitter. Must be white privileged male invention.
    How terrible must it be to not understand that nobody is going to respect you just because woke culture says so. Respect must be earned and low human qualities are not helping it.

OT: idk the intro is okay. I'm a huge Tolkien fan and can't wait to see the show. If they gonna push agenda on me like thousands of crappy series I will be disappointed and just stop watching. Hopefully all these money are not going to waste.

What I want to know is how major name brands get mangled but books like good omens get an almost perfect tv series. You would think it would be smaller properties that would bend more to the "creative" writing team.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    I would just wish that the woke crowd would make tv/games/whatever on original material that is made as woke from the beginning, instead of enforcing "wokeness" on something that never was intended to be woke.

So I hope that Amazon will let LotR be how it was made originally and let the wokes make their own woke material and let the market sort out what people want.
    Maybe there is room for both. And that would be true diversity.
    The Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real things of its own.
    ― J.R.R. Tolkein

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    ― J.R.R. Tolkein
    Careful, you use that enough times, and you'll have Tolkien be associated with the far right, or some other nonsense like milk, the OK sign or torches