Page 4 of 489 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    It will be LotR in the same fashion that GoT spin off will be GoT, by public branding. We know and call additional material through their association with the core and most famous products.

Also yeah, I can't wait to see the PC agenda hit the cast of this show.
    GoT is quite true to the original material (up to a point).

Is Aragorn's youth part of any LotR books?

EDIT: oops read your post wrong

Anyhow, this is kind of my point - why pay 250 million dollars just to make LotR non-sourced spin offs? Sounds like a ridiculous deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    GoT is quite true to the original material (up to a point).

EDIT: oops read your post wrong

Anyhow, this is kind of my point - why pay 250 million dollars just to make LotR non-sourced spin offs? Sounds like a ridiculous deal.
    Branding. It has the LotR brand by association. Through that alone it may gain traction as affinity for that content has been established by literary material and grown globally through the movies.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    So it's a spin off thing. Not LotR.

I find it ridiculous that they paid 250 million for franchise that doesn't even have much source material. Then they are only doing spin offs of the original story because everyone knows it already.

Why didn't they just pick some other great fantasy series which 99% of population has never read and make a great epic series of that.

Would save probably like 249 million dollars, too.
    I’d guess a lesser known fansty setting wouldn’t sell as well as nobody would know of it where every one knows what lotr is.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I enjoyed The Hobbit more than The Lord of the Rings. I found the characters and story more interesting in The Hobbit, and I much preferred younger Bilbo to Frodo. Sam was the real hero... Frodo was an annoying bitch.
    Nice to see I'm not alone feeling that, none of my friends agreed with me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I’d guess a lesser known fansty setting wouldn’t sell as well as nobody would know of it where every one knows what lotr is.
    But 250 million dollars is....a huge amount of money. Even in this context.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    But 250 million dollars is....a huge amount of money. Even in this context.
    True, I’d guess they think they can cash in on the game of thrones wave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    I'm dreading the inevitable "diversity" agenda's affect on the casting of this series because Tolkien's universe is ethnocentric to northwestern Europe. There are people of color mentioned in Tolkien's works but they live far to the East and the South and Tolkien never wrote stories for them. His stories pertained primarily to the Men of the West, i.e. white people. He set out to write a new mythology for the English people because he had grown quite bored with the prominence of Arthurian legend, so the casting of the series is going to have to respect that unless they're going to take some serious liberties with the lore. The only way I could see a "diversity hire" working is if they base the series on the Second Age, of which little is actually known, and the token black character would have to be a mercenary from the South or something. I'm a huge Idris Elba fan but I don't want to see him playing Aragorn any more than I want to see Mads Mikkelsen playing Shaka Zulu. I know it will probably happen, but I really hope they keep the identity politics out of this series and stay true to the source material.
    That is your biggest concern? That there will be too many black people?

Seriously, you are significantly worse than those you profess to be against.

LoTR was a good tale. But the world outside of that is probably too boring to translate into television series. It's an action story, and those are best in two hour blocks. Ten hours of nothing really happening to some random elves, or some random hobbits, oh and those bad bad orcs. It's all too black and white to be intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    That is your biggest concern? That there will be too many black people?

Seriously, you are significantly worse than those you profess to be against.
    There were a ton of black people in the Lord of the Rings movies. They're called Orcs. Joke aside, I didn't say it was my biggest concern but it is a part of my main concern of them staying true to the source material. If they can't even cast it appropriately, they aren't going to have a problem butchering everything else. Peter Jackson & Friends didn't think Tolkien was feminist enough so they conjured up the Tauriel character and gave her a love triangle between Legolas and a dwarf all because the Hobbit source material was lacking a "strong" female character. I'm sick of politics, no matter the type, infiltrating all levels of society. Tolkien's work is sacrosanct to me. I've been reading his books ever since I could read. If a conservative was in charge of the series and tried to make some statement about gun control or abortion or Jesus, I'd be just as pissed. I don't care what your politics are; keep them the hell out of muh Tolkiens brah.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yes I did and it is my own opinion and my own taste problem with that buddy?

Your taste sucks, let it be known.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    No they didn't. What the fuck are you talking about?

Jackson and company had absolutely nothing to do with it. The actress that played Tauriel only accepted the role if they promised that she wouldn't be in a love triangle.
    Then Warner Brothers came in and decided this shit on their own, no one else wanted that change - and they didn't do this because of "PC" reasons, they just wanted a shitty romance plot so the test audiences would like it - the same reason why many other movies have forced garbage romance plots.

At least know what the fuck you're talking about before bitching about "PC SJWWWWS RUINING EVERYTHING".
    So what about when Philippa Boyens, one of Jackson's writing partners said at the Comic-Con panel that "We created her for that reason. To bring that energy into the film, that feminine energy."?? For someone saying "know what the fuck you're talking about..." you really don't.

Here's the link to the transcript for the Comic-Con panel so you can read it yourself:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...-hobbitcon-qa/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    There were a ton of black people in the Lord of the Rings movies. They're called Orcs. Joke aside, I didn't say it was my biggest concern but it is a part of my main concern of them staying true to the source material. If they can't even cast it appropriately, they aren't going to have a problem butchering everything else. Peter Jackson & Friends didn't think Tolkien was feminist enough so they conjured up the Tauriel character and gave her a love triangle between Legolas and a dwarf all because the Hobbit source material was lacking a "strong" female character. I'm sick of politics, no matter the type, infiltrating all levels of society. Tolkien's work is sacrosanct to me. I've been reading his books ever since I could read. If a conservative was in charge of the series and tried to make some statement about gun control or abortion or Jesus, I'd be just as pissed. I don't care what your politics are; keep them the hell out of muh Tolkiens brah.
    I'm less bothered about LotR than you obviously, I like it, but I am not wedded to it's lore as it is in an unchanging and immutable way. It's obviously going to adapt and change, as long as it is done in good faith (hard to quantify that) and doesn't significantly change the key points of Middle Earth history I am fine.

If we want to speak about minority ethnic characters in this show I don't think you could quite easily have minor characters as traders from Harad or further east, particularly in Southern Gondor. You could set stories in those places but afaik Tolkien didn't leave huge amounts to deal with there.

My biggest concern is that what we will get is a whole bunch of stories on the fringes of the War of the Ring in an attempt to chase brand recognition. I'd much rather see stories from much earlier in Middle Earth history, in particular Numenor, Beren+Luthie, the early machinations of Melkor/Saigon, etc, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Your taste sucks, let it be known.
    Haha be my guest big man like I really care.

My taste is my own and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    I'm less bothered about LotR than you obviously, I like it, but I am not wedded to it's lore as it is in an unchanging and immutable way. It's obviously going to adapt and change, as long as it is done in good faith (hard to quantify that) and doesn't significantly change the key points of Middle Earth history I am fine.

If we want to speak about minority ethnic characters in this show I don't think you could quite easily have minor characters as traders from Harad or further east, particularly in Southern Gondor. You could set stories in those places but afaik Tolkien didn't leave huge amounts to deal with there.

My biggest concern is that what we will get is a whole bunch of stories on the fringes of the War of the Ring in an attempt to chase brand recognition. I'd much rather see stories from much earlier in Middle Earth history, in particular Numenor, Beren+Luthie, the early machinations of Melkor/Saigon, etc, etc.
    Yeah I agree. I did say in my original post that they could add people of color as long as they are from either the East and South because that would at least be keeping in line with what little Tolkien did tell us about those regions. What I can't stand is the modern liberal definition of multiculturalism as a means of erasing all lines of distinction between cultures. It's ironic that they call it diversity when in reality it is the death of diversity. Tolkien's work is inherently ethnocentric but it's not exclusively so. He didn't create a world of just white people. It's only the North and the West that's white. The South and East have people of color. As long as the show producers respect that, I'm okay with any people of color they cast.

But ultimately I do see this series as them just trying to make a buck on the brand instead of faithfully recreating Tolkien's Middle Earth. It's going to probably end up like the Shadows of Mordor game series where on the surface it looks like Tolkien but it's really just a coat of paint on something else entirely. While those games are fun, they lack any real depth in both gameplay and story/lore. I hope that's not the case with this upcoming TV series, but my gut tells me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I am well aware she didn't want to be in a love triangle. I'm not blaming her for it. I'm a fan of her work. I just find it ironic that they introduced a character because of "feminism" and then relegated her to a sexist role. Who ever's to blame for that change in direction deserves every bit of criticism but either way the character's creation was political and should've never happened whether she had a love triangle or not. Jackson and his crew have taken far too many liberties with the IP for my liking.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's some info in the appendix of The Return of the King: Here Follows a Part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. Nothing overly in depth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    ...The Hobbit for sure wasnt perfect but at least they stayed faithful for the most part to the source material books...
    Holy Christ in heaven...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

This could become the next big TV show, but could easily ruin the IP for many. So I am cautiously excited for the series.

If I had to make a guess on the premise, either:

1) Silmarillion

2) Post-Aragorn, united Gondor adventures. Maybe orcs try to organize, easterlings, etc. Maybe we'll see those two blue wizards try something. I dunno.