Thread: Lore noob

Lore noob

When it comes to WoW lore is there a place to start book wise like a beginning so to speak or is it just all over the place?

Chronicles.

All three of them. That's a good start.

Definitely Chronicles. And while you're reading them, if you see any noun (race, location, event) you don't quite understand, you can look it up on Wowpedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Definitely Chronicles. And while you're reading them, if you see any noun (race, location, event) you don't quite understand, you can look it up on Wowpedia.
    I think just ploughing into Chronicles is just too much in one go for a total noob. It would just be overwhelming.

You would be better off taking it piece-meal and reading about small individual sections. Then building up that knowledge into a more complete understanding.

Please don't. It's not worth it

You can also watch nobel87 on youtube

If you want the lore, then the Chronicles series is a good place to start.

If you are up for taking the same journey the game did, I would start chronologically however. I did, and had a good time with it. Just beware that, while most books are a good read, there are some lesser ones. Like Stormrage and Cycle of Hatred, that do weird things with the setting, and I did not enjoy.

While maybe not as relevant now as a few expansions ago, another thing to do would be to play or at least watch a let's play of the WarCraft 3 campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

I maybe should of stated that I’m an avid wow / Warcraft player and generally aware of the in game lore. That being said I wanted to go a bit more in def. that being said is chronicles still the way to go?

Deleted
    I am a lore noob as well haha

Deleted
    Alliance good, Horde bad.

You now know everything you need to step right into Battle for Azeroth!

I youtube'd Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 play through's with endings and scenes, and filled in the gaps with wowpedia. The rest after Warcraft 3 plays out in WoW and books but you don't have to actually sit there and read all the books (I just read Arthas, the others I read up wowpedia.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardjenkins View Post
    When it comes to WoW lore is there a place to start book wise like a beginning so to speak or is it just all over the place?
    Noble87
    But chronicles for sure to start if you wish to read them yourself, but i still highly reccomend noble87.
    chronicles is an encylopedia instead of a book, so no fluff about this or that, all just pure lore knowlege, and being the most recent is the most set up, and is free of retcons.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyboardjenkins View Post
    I maybe should of stated that I’m an avid wow / Warcraft player and generally aware of the in game lore. That being said I wanted to go a bit more in def. that being said is chronicles still the way to go?
    The "Chronicle" books would pretty much be the go-to, golden standard for Warcraft Universe lore now, yes. If you wish to avoid the expense you can also delve into WoWPedia, though this would lack some chronological structure that "Chronicle" would give you.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Don't start, it got so terrible and bloated over the years that it's not worth it. You can read some other fantasy series in the time it would take you to catch up, any will do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post

Literally just this.

I played WC2 and 3, that got me started. I also did a lot of reading on WoWPedia. The game itself, if you read questlines and the like can add some flavour, and then the Chronicles will give a good overview of the history of things. And clear up some confusions/fill in some gaps.

Old Horde bad, Thrall's Horde not bad. Current Horde... ehhhh, let's say blurred. :P