Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark Iron Dwarf Paladins

How could they be explained?

Can there be a fire-light connection?
    Once keepers of the flame who now turned to the Light after the defeat of Ragnaros?

Or (a little boringly) simply learned it from other dwarves / priests simply became paladins after a while as well?

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Iron Dwarves have had paladin NPCs since Vanilla, most commonly seen in Blackrock Depths with mobs like Anvilrage Marshal. The explanation could be as simple as their teachings favoring themes like the fires of retribution and serving as beacons the other Dark Irons rally to (as Dark Irons have a highly-militarized society, their paladins likely aren't considered spiritual leaders per se). It could be as far-fetched as the early TBC days of blood elf paladins, or how tauren paladins came to be, where the Dark Irons' adherence to the 'light of Ragnaros' was considered close enough to count by the Light. Either way, they're a notable presence within Dark Iron society so it would feel strange not to include them, barring an explanation like the fall of the Zandalari Prelates from BFA leveling.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

15+ Year Old Account
    The Light favors the devout - not whatever is your specific concept of "good" so not much explanation is needed.

Plenty current and former villains use light magic.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    The Light favors the devout - not whatever is your specific concept of "good" so not much explanation is needed.

Plenty current and former villains use light magic.
    Pretty much this. All the light needs is a base level of faith. You dont need to be doing good, only believing you are doing good.

The light lore isn't that complicated.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Pretty much this. All the light needs is a base level of faith. You dont need to be doing good, only believing you are doing good.

The light lore isn't that complicated.
    hell, you don't even need faith.

you can wield it even with simple will power, just like benedictus did.

Formerly known as Arafal

It was be extremely awesome if Dark Iron Paladins could somehow canonically call upon the light from the Firelands similar to how night elves draw upon the light from Elune. Fire Paladins ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    It was be extremely awesome if Dark Iron Paladins could somehow canonically call upon the light from the Firelands similar to how night elves draw upon the light from Elune. Fire Paladins ftw!
    They do not worship (or even like) the firelands nor does the firelands have any light. I dont see why they need to be connected to the firelands or anything morally dark or ambiguous here.

They simply revere the light in a religious sense.

7+ Year Old Account
    i believe there is no such thing of "draining powers from elune, they have faith in elune, the faith grant their the power

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i believe there is no such thing of "draining powers from elune, they have faith in elune, the faith grant their the power
    I never said anything about draining the power of Elune...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then you understand that 'The Light of Elune" is merely their devotion, manifested as Holy magic. Unless directly blessed by the Deity, of course.

In a similar way, if a Dark Iron has immense faith in, let's say, Firelord Smolderon, he will be able to cast Holy magicks - and, naturally, Shadow magicks too, since it's another face of the same power.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Then you understand that 'The Light of Elune" is merely their devotion, manifested as Holy magic. Unless directly blessed by the Deity, of course.

In a similar way, if a Dark Iron has immense faith in, let's say, Firelord Smolderon, he will be able to cast Holy magicks - and, naturally, Shadow magicks too, since it's another face of the same power.
    That's basically what I meant.

In the same way as Void Elf Warlocks/Holy Priests, Highmountain Druids despite their 100% absense from their zone, Lightforged anything-but-Paladin/Holy Priest and Nightborne Priest despite them believing in absolutely nothing but the arcane:

Brain fart lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    In the same way as Void Elf Warlocks/Holy Priests, Highmountain Druids despite their 100% absense from their zone, Lightforged anything-but-Paladin/Holy Priest and Nightborne Priest despite them believing in absolutely nothing but the arcane:

Brain fart lore.
    Highmountain tauren are literally blessed by Cenarius, why wouldn't they be druids? We also see Lightforged mages and blademasters while there's never any real indication of what Nightborne worship. They could worship Elune for all we know.

Highmountain tauren are literally blessed by Cenarius, why wouldn't they be druids? We also see Lightforged mages and blademasters while there's never any real indication of what Nightborne worship. They could worship Elune for all we know.
    Actually there are at least two WQs that directly and unmissunderstandably say how the Nightborne abandoned ALL religious ties...and that is also the theme of the zone. They consider religion as primitive and unworthy, which befits their race perfectly. They should not have priests. ESPECIALLY in the context that Thalyssra shitting on Tyrande is the main reason why they are not Alliance. It would make absolutely no sense for a NB priest to worship Elune and then go to Darkshore to desecrate Moonwells for the "Dark Lady". None.

As for Highmountain: Yes, the lore does allow them to have Druids, sure. But where the fuck are they hiding? I have spent 2 years in that zone...and the only trace of them i got was ONE WQ text in Stormheim. There are exactly ZERO Highmountain druids. No place where they could be trained. I would have even been fine if Blizzard had added HM Druids+groves AFTER they made them an allied race...but they did not. This is not cool. I think as a player you should call Blizzard out on something like this. Which is what i do. I consider it a major fuckup. One of many with allied races.

As for Lightforged...yes, sure, any Draenei can become Lightforged and there is at least one Arms Warrior, a MM Hunter ans a Mage NPC in the questline....but does it make SENSE they are not using any kind of Holy Power after becoming lightforged? This is not as bad as the othe race/class combos, as these NPCs are actually in the game....but from my POV a Draenei Arms Warrior who choses and trains to become Lightforged is a Retribution Paladin. That's just as i see it, though. Personal Oppinion.

---

The core of the matter is, that all classes which are not easily trainable arts like rogue, hunter, warrior need some kind of ritual or belief to become. ESPECIALLY Paladin and Priest. Need i remind you that classic actually started with Priest-Only-Racials for all classes that could roll priest to explain where their belief is coming from? All the races that can roll these classes have orders/temples/churches in their homezone to explain how they fit in. For Allied Races Blizzard simply skips over that entiely and even throws these classes at races that should simply not have them....they NEEDED to have an explanation. But they did not get it. Blizzard simply did not care eough to give one and since most Allied Races have very few classes available as-is they just threw them onto them for the lulz.

That's what i call brain fart lore.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post

That's basically what I meant.
    Dark Iron do not respect or revere the firelands. They were ENSLAVED by Ragnaros, they didn't follow willingly or worship him.

7+ Year Old Account
    similar to how night elves draw upon the light from Elune.
    well it is what implies..

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Dark Iron do not respect or revere the firelands. They were ENSLAVED by Ragnaros, they didn't follow willingly or worship him.
    They were enslaved, although it's implied that many willingly served him and delighted in it as well, such as Emperor Dagran Thaurissan, who Ragnaros personally bestowed power upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    well it is what implies..
    Drawing on =\= Draining.

They were enslaved, although it's implied that many willingly served him and delighted in it as well, such as Emperor Dagran Thaurissan, who Ragnaros personally bestowed power upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Drawing on =\= Draining.
    Dagran Thaurissan, and certainly all that follow Moira, are against Ragnaros actually. For instance the Emperor may have enjoyed the powers he was given, he still hated Ragnaros. He wanted to unite the Dwarf clans for the exact purpose of throwing off Ragnaros' control. A few likely were ok with what was going on, but it was certainly a rarity, and those few would have joined the Twilight hammer.

Them worshipping Ragnaros was never a thing in the canon outside of an RP book that has been none-canon for a decade.

Dark Iron legal judges are a nice angle for them imo.
    Twas brillig

7+ Year Old Account
    Human, light in general
    Dwarf, light in general
    Draenei, the Naaru
    Blood Elves, the Sunwell
    Tauren, the Sun

All of these races were champions of a different "light." I can certainly see how Ragnaros was the deity of light to the dark iron, having spent a great deal of time underground. Different origins, same concepts. I did kind of want blizzard to give allied races some flavor to their spell animations. Fiery paladin would have been neat.
    Last edited by Canield; 2018-07-02 at 04:14 AM.