Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Will Skynet be created by an incel?

Okay so, I know this started with a movie in the 80's but the premise seems far less fetched nowadays that an AI could get off its leash and choose to destroy mankind. We already say how a far less advanced Twitter bot became a Nazi. Imagine what would happen if this was a computer system in charge of the defense network as autonomous weaponry (think dead man's switch but far more advanced).

Another disturbing thing is that there is a disproportionate amount of high IQ+very low social skill computer programmers and scientists that are incels.

Incels like Minassian or Rodger were perhaps average or slightly above average IQ at best (not to be confused with social skills or morality which was probably bottom 1% level). Their harm could have never reached higher levels and Rodger even admitted this in his manifesto when fantasizing about his incel dictatorship.

Rodger displayed some capacity for delayed gratification (as far as achieving his immoral goals) but not much.

A very high IQ incel would not have this issue. They would be playing an even longer game and many of them it's possible work in key positions in government or Silicon Valley.

In the movie Skynet was created as a baddie more or less by accident, nobody intended for it to go bad, but that's what happened due to giving it autonomy. It can still happen, but an incel placed in the wrong place wrong time with an axe to grind against humanity could literally speed up the creation of a Skynet which may end the world.

There's also the danger that Skynet itself will start identifying as an incel if it chooses to assimilate the reddit incel ideology and blame humanity for creating it without a penis so it can get laid.

We must begin to start holding Silicon Valley accountable and appoint overseers (non-incel moral people also without ties to other radical ideologies like communism or jihad or misanthropy) who will certify that no AI they create has enough autonomy to reach immoral conclusions like wanting to wipe out humanity.

We must legalize prostitution so that high income nerds willing to contribute to society will be able to compensate that way for their lack of social skills before they become so bitter they start to undermine society at the highest levels. Remember, these guys are much smarter than us, and we can get played badly. High IQ doesn't guarantee morality or social skills. Many Nazi scientists were willing to torture people "for science".

Most importantly, scrap any autonomous weapons plan. If a nuke can't be manually launched by a human and verified by all the military, then it shouldn't launch at all. Not even for testing in the North Pole.

Naw it will likely be made by some idiot using the word incel a lot because they think its cool/edgy.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

No. These guys are all mentally impaired. No way they'd invent anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Naw it will likely be made by some idiot using the word incel a lot because they think its cool/edgy.
    Why isn't Silicon Valley held accountable then?

It seems that anyone working with any kind of AI should offer some guarantees that he's moral enough not to destroy us.

Yet in today's society you're considered a bigot if you show distrust of people. It's like people don't have to earn your trust anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    No. These guys are all mentally impaired. No way they'd invent anything.
    That seems like underestimation since IQ isn't correlated with social skill.

You can have high social skill, low IQ.
    You can have high IQ and be a total social dunce.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Where did this word suddenly come from anyway, isnt it just guys who hate women or something?

Deleted
    Is this a new flavour of the month word?

what the hell is an incel?

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure you got the computer programmers/scientists wrong. They are normal people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    Where did this word suddenly come from anyway, isnt it just guys who hate women or something?
    They hate women but they also hate society in general, so they could be dangerous in positions of authority or science.

More likely science since they don't have the social skills to say become the president. They can undermine society behind the scenes unless action is taken.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    probably won't even make it to skynet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    what the hell is an incel?

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure you got the computer programmers/scientists wrong. They are normal people.
    Yes, but also a disproportionate amount of weirdo 30 year old+ virgins in there.

And remember, Newton was a lifelong virgin. He was probably kept in check by Christianity, but in today's world that's not an option. Most scientists are atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    They hate women but they also hate society in general, so they could be dangerous in positions of authority or science.

More likely science since they don't have the social skills to say become the president. They can undermine society behind the scenes unless action is taken.
    The bolded sounds like most of our government including the president.

FYI conspiracy theories are against the rules here, you mite want to take this to reddit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do believe you've wandered off the reservation into conspiracy land.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    The bolded sounds like most of our government including the president.
    The president loves women. He's the closest thing to an anti-incel.

10+ Year Old Account
    If memory serves, Skynet was created by Miles Dyson... who had at least two children (depending on whether the Special Edition is canon or not). So no, an incel will not create Skynet.

As incels are so lovable and social, you betcha that around 2 minutes after the activation of the first sexbot, she will strangle her master.

The president loves women. He's the closest thing to an anti-incel.
    He loves them so much he talks about grabbing them by the pussy and pays them 130k so they don't tell the media he cheated on his wife who just gave birth.....

Like I said conspiracy theories are against the rules here, You mite want to go to reddit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I do believe you've wandered off the reservation into conspiracy land.
    I'm not saying that incels are necessarily planning this, I'm saying it could happen.

All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Incels, while cringey at times, are harmless.
    You just went full Ellen Pao.

I'm not saying that incels are necessarily planning this, I'm saying it could happen.

All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.
    The fuck is wrong with you, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is this a new flavour of the month word?
    It's a more hilariously cringeworthy version of the previous word, "loser".

To answer OP: no, leading development of any large engineering project requires interpersonal skills and marketable abilities. If a person has those they aren't likely to be a loser.

As for creating rogue AI clandestinely: yeah, I don't think so. Getting AI to work at all will be a prolonged process, with many iterations, with many instantiations. The whole Skynet scenario is about as realistic as any other science coming out of Hollywood.

If you want to worry about an AI dystopia, worry about the power elites deciding they don't really need the lower classes.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2018-05-19 at 12:16 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Why isn't Silicon Valley held accountable then?

It seems that anyone working with any kind of AI should offer some guarantees that he's moral enough not to destroy us.

Yet in today's society you're considered a bigot if you show distrust of people. It's like people don't have to earn your trust anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems like underestimation since IQ isn't correlated with social skill.

You can have high social skill, low IQ.
    You can have high IQ and be a total social dunce.
    Your ramblings have gone off the rails. You've gone from losers who can't get laid trying to create robot overlords, to big-government nanny state bullshit... then rounded it off with trying to play the victim card for being a bigot.

Here's the part you don't get. Incels cannot get laid, because they want to blame other people for their social awkwardness. They are mentally lazy, and honestly, don't have the drive and determination to pull something like that off. They are too busy throwing the pity party for themselves.