Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Don't fear the Mage Tower, do it today!

Hi, fellow warriors!

Just wanted to let the ones of you who are a little concerned about doing the mage tower challenge, for whatever reason, to give it a go. I did the fury one today, and it was actually one of the most exciting encounters for me in Legion, seeing as I'm not doing any hard raiding or pushing for +mythics, mostly since my gear will only barely get me into pugs and my computer sucks so bad that encounters with lots of people will basically put me at below 10 fps, even almost freeze the game. I read a couple of guides, got some buff items, and tried to do the best I could. It took me about 10 tries or something like that, but I gradually learned the encounter, and in the last try I had a good run when I didn't do any of the terrible mistakes, even though I could have done much better on adds, cooldowns and many other things. Right after, I did a few couple runs on my retripally too, without buffs to waste, just to see what the encounter is about, and I lasted a good while and had fun. I haven't completed it, but I feel more motivated to do these challenges now. So, if you're waiting for gear, or have given up in advance, do it anyway! You have nothing to lose!
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    I agree and i share you sentiment.

Yesterday, after some months of WoW break (before Argus raid), i tried with my 930 ilvl (sadly not a warrior) Enanch shaman. I was really scared, since the first time i tried it (with barely 890 ilvl), i was utterly crushed. But, with 930 ilvl, with ZERO survival legendary (no prydaz and such), a good read on tacts and good consumable, i was able to clear the Mage tower in 6 attempt.

I will try warriors ones for sure!

I'm at 15/36 so far and yeah, once you know the fights, they're rather fun.

Agatha is mostly a gearcheck, but with current AP levels and ease to gear to 920-930 even on alts, everybody should be able to do it.
    Xylem is a bit more tricky, phase 1 require to learn how to handle things, especially the mirror image phase. Phase 2 challenges your dps, esp. your burst aoe, but again with current gear+ap, you should be able to do it a couple trys into phase 2.
    I haven't done Kruul at current ilvl/ap, so I'm biased and think it's a big step up in difficulty esp. with how little self heal we have, but I might underestimate how gear+ap makes it easier. It's my least favorite challenge, mostly because of all those bumps; though at least as warriors we have heroic leap/charge.

I 100% recommend trying Sigryn (enh, vindict, demono, assa, arcane) and Tugar (bm, disc, destru, ww) even on your alts as they require very little dps and are mostly about doing the fights properly.

I did it. Yesterday! Proud owner of a brand new flail to go with the other two challenge skins. Phase one of the Prot challenge really, really sucks. That's all I have to say.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

But I already did it, like a year ago? God has MT been out for a year?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I did it. Yesterday! Proud owner of a brand new flail to go with the other two challenge skins. Phase one of the Prot challenge really, really sucks. That's all I have to say.
    Finished the last of the 36 challenges last time the tower was up and found prot warrior to be one of the hardest, congrats on your awesome flail.

I did Fury a couple month ago and still have to tackle the Arms one. I have 0 interest in playing Prot, like ever, so I'll probably skip this one.

Last time I tried Xylem I struggled on P2 because I didn't take time to understand what was going on. Next time I should be able to do it =D

I did the Fury and Arms ones last year when they came out, I've been unsubbed since then but Blizzard gave me 7 days free sub a little while back and I used it to do the Prot one. Prot one took the least amount of attempts but I did it with the highest ilvl/artifact so that's no surprise, I'd imagine it'd be pretty tough down at 900. They were really a challenge when they first come out but I think with the gear available now and easy artifact levels most people should be able to do it, no reason not to go all in and get it done before BFA.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

On a semi funny(or sad) side note, I recognized that I've gotten to be a old broken shell of a man, when I stopped looking forward to such challenges. I first went in at ilvl 910ish (Fury) and the best I got her down was 20% after about 8 tries. But I was so frustrated by the whole thing I quit trying for about 7 months. Next time I went in at 930 and it still took me another 13 tries and even then I had the command tower giving me buffs. I said I was going to go back and do it again without the Command center up, just so I could say I did it, but I've been unable to find the motivation.

I find I just don't get any enjoyment in something that has too high of a penalty for making a mistake or two. Kill the imp in a bad spot, and get yourself slowed at the wrong time and bam! Start all over again. I have the same issue with doing the Demon hunter, just one mistake on the double jump rush and it's over. Gone are the days that I would become more determined to do it. Now I opt for nap with my warm cuddle blanky

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    On a semi funny(or sad) side note, I recognized that I've gotten to be a old broken shell of a man, when I stopped looking forward to such challenges. I first went in at ilvl 910ish (Fury) and the best I got her down was 20% after about 8 tries. But I was so frustrated by the whole thing I quit trying for about 7 months. Next time I went in at 930 and it still took me another 13 tries and even then I had the command tower giving me buffs. I said I was going to go back and do it again without the Command center up, just so I could say I did it, but I've been unable to find the motivation.

I find I just don't get any enjoyment in something that has too high of a penalty for making a mistake or two. Kill the imp in a bad spot, and get yourself slowed at the wrong time and bam! Start all over again. I have the same issue with doing the Demon hunter, just one mistake on the double jump rush and it's over. Gone are the days that I would become more determined to do it. Now I opt for nap with my warm cuddle blanky
    When your midlife crisis comes and you mentally revert to a 19 year old wanting to relive your youth you will be annoyed that you didn't do it, so do it. If you're playing the game there isn't much better you could be doing with your time in game, if it takes you a 100 attempts that's not a big deal. Just get it done, it's worth it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Little off topic, but can anyone tell me how it works with Mage Tower Weapon appearances?

Do you get a different one depending on how well you do, as there are 4, or get a random one? Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but just curious and didn't find anything clear about it on Wowhead etc

I had a plan to do the Mage Tower on a myriad of characters. Then my guild stopped raiding and I haven't had the desire to log on since. I really should look at making some progress, but I'm enjoying playing other games too much at the moment.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayiicha View Post
    Little off topic, but can anyone tell me how it works with Mage Tower Weapon appearances?

Do you get a different one depending on how well you do, as there are 4, or get a random one? Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but just curious and didn't find anything clear about it on Wowhead etc
    No, you have 1 appearance each SPEC. Then, you can unlock RECOLORS for doing various activity in game (rated BG, Heroic Kiljaden and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by Drayiicha View Post

You get a base appearance for that spec for completing the tower. and then to unlock more colors of that new appearance you have to do more things like Kill Jil'Jdaen on Heroic, completing a Mythic +15 dungeon, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    When your midlife crisis comes and you mentally revert to a 19 year old wanting to relive your youth you will be annoyed that you didn't do it, so do it. If you're playing the game there isn't much better you could be doing with your time in game, if it takes you a 100 attempts that's not a big deal. Just get it done, it's worth it.
    Maybe so, but I'm 48, I'm already asking myself why I continue to play this game to begin with, when I should be out running Tough mudders and marathons because those are the things I did at 19 :P Though the main answer that question is because my knees and joints says "no more!"
    Maybe if I take my geritol and drink some ensure I can find the motivation.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2018-05-29 at 01:30 PM.

i havent played in months, but its still on my to do list need that transmog!

Deleted
    I just can't do it as 932 ilvl Arms. When Archmage Xylem teleports in the millions of his clones i just can't find the right one, no matter how hard i try i am always a few second too slow. No worth trying if i can't even pass that step, the most annoying step in Mage tower. Maybe the problem is my laptop and smaller screen.
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2018-05-29 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    I just can't do it as 932 ilvl Arms. When Archmage Xylem teleports in the millions of his clones i just can't find the right one, no matter how hard i try i am always a few second too slow. No worth trying if i can't even pass that step, the most annoying step in Mage tower. Maybe the problem is my laptop and smaller screen.
    He teleports clear to the other side of the platform, it pings on the minimap where he is.

Solution: cheat towards the middle of the platform before the transition phase pops off and bam, you're in within Heroic Leap + Bounding Stride range easily.

Alternatively, you can kill one of the reflections and standing in the area left behind will signficantly decrease your cooldown recovery time and keep you alive. You can then use that time to figure out where he is then leap to him. He's all sparkly, and quite easy to spot.

If you watch Asmongold's video on it, you'll have a video reference for what I mean when I say "cheat towards the middle before the transition phase".

The warrior mage tower challenges are 99% about execution of the mechanics/demands of the fight and about 1% to do with gear - assuming high level play and awareness.
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Look for the yellow shimmering. That's where he is.

For everybody working on the Fury one, you can use two items to cheese it: Spiced Falcosaur Omelet and Lightblood Elixir. When I used those two items, my warrior, who was 915 ilvl at the time, was doing so much damage that I pushed Agatha to phase 2 before the second set of imps and killed her after she teleported one time. The damage bonus on those two (make sure you're AOEing to kill the imps and proc the Omelet buff) is insane when combined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone wanna do the prot warrior one? Because holy crap... it's insane, I've done it on prot paladin (took 8 hours) and guardian druid (was a cake) but warrior? Holy hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarado View Post
    Anyone wanna do the prot warrior one? Because holy crap... it's insane, I've done it on prot paladin (took 8 hours) and guardian druid (was a cake) but warrior? Holy hell.
    Get 2pc of most recent tier, makes a big difference in terms of damage output.