Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    rock paper scissor magic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    It used to be there there was everything else playing off each other, and then there was Light. But now it seems we're playing pokemons with different sources of magic...
    Pokemon is using a rock/paper system with virtually no explanation on how the different scouces of magic evolved. I dont see any link to wows bar a few of the names?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimpe View Post
    rock paper scissor magic
    This, it's a closed circle.

Stood in the Fire The5thVegetable's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I'd say it's:
    Void/Light/Fel
    Arcane
    Nature/Elemental/Death/Spirit

One thing I'd like to point out in regards to death magic though, is that I suspect we haven't really seen it in its raw form. Whenever we see necromancy used, it appears to be tied to another school of magic, usually arcane or shadow but sometimes also fel, implying that wielding raw death magic is easiest if you manipulate it via another type of magic- such as how elemental(And presumably) magic can be bent to serve using arcane or shadow magic.
    Why do I even bother to post on this damned site?

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    So lore-wise what's the most powerful type of magic? There seems to be elemental, arcane, nature, fel, void, light, and undeath... which is technically strongest?

If I had to guess I'd rank it like this:
    Void
    Fel
    Undeath
    Light
    Arcane
    Elemental
    Nature
    Nature and Elemental are one and the same, called Life!
    But I am not sure there is one that is stronger then another, as they have a yin-yang like relationship.

I would say it depends on who is using it and for what purpose. They come from different sources and have different modes of functionality.

Here is a fairly simple breakdown.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Magic

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue for fel really, I assume since he was a Titan Sargeras used to be a arcane boi before right? And he switched to fel to carry out his new objective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Arcane is a really weird magic, it's very utilitarian and can be used for many things

It can be used to manipulate time, it can grant pseudo-immortality by extended wielders lifespan quite dramatically, even undeath is achievable via arcane, it can also be "shaped" to create fire and frost spells, and many more things.

I wonder if other magic types are simply not that well researched. I mean, Arcane has been used and STUDIED for millennia by elves, humans, etc, but when it comes to something like Fel or even Light, they're fairly underutilised or its users are very narrow-minded.
    I view Arcane as sort of creation magic. You can use Arcane to conjure up food and items, to travel distances or in time and I would argue that arcane is mostly for protection and to make life easier. Although it can be used offensivly it is not the main use of it. While it's opposite the Fel is only destructive, used to undo creation and almost always used offensivly.

I don't think that arcane is more researched than other magic, it's just that it is very useful in everyday life. The Draenei have been followers of the light for a very long time but they still use arcane magic for their ships and machines. Void magic is very hard to control so only few people can control it and if their mind get corrupted they can pose a large threat to people around them, so it is banned by most groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowater View Post
    While it's opposite the Fel is only destructive, used to undo creation and almost always used offensivly.
    But that's the thing, Warlocks and DHs use it primarily offensively, but the Legion built entire army and infrastructure around using the Fel. It can also be used for transportation: warlock portals, spaceship warping, etc. There's Fel-based buffs, defensive abilities, and so on. IMHO, it's entirely possible that w/ enough research the Fel could be used as extensively as the Arcane. Obviously, there's a trade-off, it can make its wielders physically and emotionally unstable, hence its users are shunned. But even the Light is capable of twisting its users minds.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-05-28 at 02:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's the thing, Warlocks and DHs use it primarily offensively, but the Legion built entire army and infrastructure around using the Fel. It can also be used for transportation: warlock portals, spaceship warping, etc. There's Fel-based buffs, defensive abilities, and so on. IMHO, it's entirely possible that w/ enough research the Fel could be used as extensively as the Arcane. Obviously, there's a trade-off, it can make its wielders physically and emotionally unstable, hence its users are shunned. But even the Light is capable of twisting its users minds.
    You are correct, I actually forgot about all the fel machines and teleports they use for the machines and forces. Fel is the corrupted form of arcane if I remember correctly. So it should be able to perform sort of the same functions I guess. But I wonder if they were to use fel for good things, would it remain as fel or would it turn into arcane magic? Maybe the line between arcane and fel isn't that clear.

You gave me something interesting to think about now, thanks!

The only confirmed deity in the game is Elune and she uses arcane so I'm going to guess arcane.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The Void is the most powerful type of magic. It was able to corrupt even Dragons and the Titans' own children. It had never been defied by a mortal, unlike all other types of magic... until the rise of Alleria Windrunner, the former war veteran of the Alliance of Lordaeron, who was the first mortal in the history of the cosmos to successfully defy the shadows' whispers, and ascend to a higher state altogether.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    In game term anyway, it's light.
    Holy is the only type of magic against which there is no resistance.
    Fel Magic in game is stronger since it will count as which ever type of dmg that will cause it to do the most dmg (including physical.) Just look at star adds as a havoc on Argus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The only confirmed deity in the game is Elune and she uses arcane so I'm going to guess arcane.
    Elune uses arcane? Then why is she worshipped by priestesses of light? Isnt there a theory that Elune is just a super powerful naaru?

Arcane is a really weird magic, it's very utilitarian and can be used for many things

It can be used to manipulate time, it can grant pseudo-immortality by extended wielders lifespan quite dramatically, even undeath is achievable via arcane, it can also be "shaped" to create fire and frost spells, and many more things.

I wonder if other magic types are simply not that well researched. I mean, Arcane has been used and STUDIED for millennia by elves, humans, etc, but when it comes to something like Fel or even Light, they're fairly underutilised or its users are very narrow-minded.
    i wouldn't say that undeath is achievable through arcane. that bone ritual khadgar has you perform seems to just animate the bones to move, like a puppet, the arcane power is the strings holding it up. there's no soul in it. there's also whatever eredar/draenei soulbinders use to create their vigilants. augari soulbinders seem to use arcane, while the soulbinders of the auchenai were most definitely using shadow. so arcane seems to be able to manipulate souls in some way, but i wouldn't really call it undeath.

strongest magic though, i would think it'd either be fel, void, or light. void and light seem to be tied, unable to fully defeat one or the other(the mortal element will likely sway this battle for one side or the other eventually). fel does seem to have more raw power than everything else, it expunges void corruption, creates portals, arcane can mess with time, but fel is connected to the nether which transcends all time and reality.

Deleted
    Thinking about this a bit more, it might be that all magic is the same. Only their source of energy differs, but their capabilities don't.
    All schools are used in the form of damaging spells (destruction) and all shcools have some kind of barrier spell (protection).

Other common uses: (as you see, most can do the same in some form, some may yet to be represented in the game)
    - Restoration:

• holy (Holy Light)
    • void (Shadow Mend)
    • arcane (Arcane Mending - some ogres have this spell)
    • fel (Drain Life - drain life then heal yourself)
    • nature (Healing Touch)
    • necromantic (Death Coil – heals friendly undeads)
    - Teleportation (and summoning): (all the schools can use some kind of summoning)

• holy (don’t know any of it)
    • void (Void Portals used by many Void vielders in WoD for example)
    • arcane (Teleport, Portal spells of mages)
    • fel (Portal spells of warlocks, Demonis summonings)
    • nature (Dream portals)
    • necromatic (maybe Death Gate of DK-s, though it is in the shadow school in WoW)
    - Conjuration (creation through magic): (the portals themselves would count as creation, so all schools would be here aswell)

• void (don’t know any of it)
    • arcane (Refreshments)
    • fel (Soulstone, Healthstone)
    • nature (Shapeshifting spells might be a type of conjuration. It does not conjure an item but a body though. Not sure. Growing roots and creating hurricanes might be here aswell.)
    • necromantic (don’t know any of it)

7+ Year Old Account

Arrow

It's a little off topic, but there's funny comparison, it's not 100% adequate, but has certain rational side:

Void/Light ---------------- virus(parasite?)/bacteria(symbiont?)
    Fel/Arcane --------------- radiation/macrocosm forces(eg: gravity)
    Nature/Death(unholy?) --- organic/inorganic chemistry
    Elemental ---------------- particle physics
    Physics ------------------ direct interaction (mechanics)

...but if we assume that this has some similarity, doesn't it seem that they are more or less equivalent in general (each at its own level)?
    (Ie they just don't have a plane to compare with each other, depend on application)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Ielenia
    So, reading what was written here on Bellular's interview, apparently there is a new "type of magic": domination magic. What it is and what exactly it can do are not defined, but it's an interesting possibility to consider for the future, I imagine.
    I'd say that this is about "area/method of application", but not about its type/school. In any case, this is exactly impression from said phrases. I can just assume that basic schools for them can be both light and shadow *looking with apprehension at Star wars* I'm afraid to be unoriginal, but let's say that first suppresses/obscures mind, and second calms/inspires on something more creative. So it's more like something about how and what you do, but not about what magic you use for that. Moreover, even from discussion this is clear that people don't see "something new" in it.
    ...moreover (and we have already discussed this in general so long ago, that have already forgotten about it, but this is still important) neither type of armor/weapon nor type of magic is something fundamental for unique class identify.
    (magic type speaks about nature of results/consequences and methods, but not about its possibilities, rhetoric behind it - can be applied, purposeful, appropriate, but mechanics of action and consequences of application will be somewhat different, albeit similar in semantics, which are being discussed here right now in current topic)
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2022-07-04 at 04:56 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever magic a pure titan Azeroth would wield is probably the most powerful magic since she is what Sargeras and the void lords fear.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Holy magic isn't explained very well in Warcraft. It isn't like most other magic where the user is the key to the strength, holy magic is based on faith, and it can abandon a user. All the other magic is simply summoned, except certain elemental.
    I forgot exactly how it goes, but mage who use fire are still technically using arcane magic, it's not the same as shaman using fire.

As for the most powerful... Probably arcane as its everywhere to be summoned, the other magics seem to have restrictions or caveats to their use.

Arcane does have limits as well. Aluneth does chide you for wielding a power capable of creation and yet squandered. As for fire being technically arcane while correct is really moot at that point. Arcane bolt or Fire bolt to the face results in the desired reactionary outcome you want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    Thinking about this a bit more, it might be that all magic is the same. Only their source of energy differs, but their capabilities don't.
    All schools are used in the form of damaging spells (destruction) and all shcools have some kind of barrier spell (protection).

Other common uses: (as you see, most can do the same in some form, some may yet to be represented in the game)
    - Restoration:

• holy (Holy Light)
    • void (Shadow Mend)
    • arcane (Arcane Mending - some ogres have this spell)
    • fel (Drain Life - drain life then heal yourself)
    • nature (Healing Touch)
    • necromantic (Death Coil – heals friendly undeads)
    - Teleportation (and summoning): (all the schools can use some kind of summoning)

• void (Void Portals used by many Void vielders in WoD for example)
    • arcane (Teleport, Portal spells of mages)
    • fel (Portal spells of warlocks, Demonis summonings)
    • nature (Dream portals)
    • necromatic (maybe Death Gate of DK-s, though it is in the shadow school in WoW)
    - Conjuration (creation through magic): (the portals themselves would count as creation, so all schools would be here aswell)

• void (don’t know any of it)
    • arcane (Refreshments)
    • fel (Soulstone, Healthstone)
    • nature (Shapeshifting spells might be a type of conjuration. It does not conjure an item but a body though. Not sure. Growing roots and creating hurricanes might be here aswell.)
    • necromantic (don’t know any of it)
    Drain life and death coil is very different from the other healing types though.

I'd also say that the light and nature healing is very different.

Nature restores you to your previous self.

THe light just magicly heals you.

Also the portal things is just for convenience in general. Thin of how weak Gul'Dan would look if he wasnt able to make portals for himself