Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You keep saying "First Amendment", when I clearly said this was about free speech, which is much broader than just the First Amendment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedo...ch#Limitations

You're welcome, Mr. Thinks He Knows Everything.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    ABC will suffer financially for it. Pretty plain and simple. They're gambling that they lose less money by canceling.
    I'm pretty sure they don't care dude, if not they wouldn't have cancelled it. I unironically like that companies are standing at least to some of their values regardless of money.

Viacom just pulled all season 1-9 reruns from their networks (this includes TV Land, The Paramount Network and Country Music Television).

I kinda really feel bad for the rest of the cast now. Not only is their upcoming season 11 now cancelled, they just lost a huge chunk of their residuals, too.
    Last edited by Szarala; 2018-05-30 at 04:32 AM.

ABC will suffer financially for it. Pretty plain and simple. They're gambling that they lose less money by canceling.
    Well, as you said earlier...they are "risk adverse"...so they must consider cancelling Roseanne to be the safest choice
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Gahdamn, look at all the asshurt snowflakes on the Reich. Do we need to get you guys some tissues?

"But what abou-" Nobody gives a shit.

"But it was justajo-" Nobody gives a shit.

"But why can't I be racis-" Nobody gives a shit.
    I just want to say... spot on, man.

Nobody gives a shit about their whining. Adults have handled the matter, let the children cry themselves to exhaustion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The ironic thing is that Trump himself probably despises Roseanne and hates the fact that people like her represent his base. In a way she is sort of an uncomfortable reminder of what he really is, as opposed to the sophisticated high society type that he has always aspired to be.
    Trump "loves" her, apparently. He raved about the 18 million viewers the season opener got - and called Roseanne personally after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post

Trump "loves" her, apparently. He raved about the 18 million viewers the season opener got - and called Roseanne personally after the show.
    ..he even said at his following rally "it's a show about us!"

Mechagnome
    5+ Year Old Account
    Are people actually surprised Roseanne is a horrible human being? I mean that has been her thing for like ever lol. The only real pity is the parents that enjoyed the shows reboot and most importantly the cast. Can't imagine being so surprised and happy to be part of a hit show and then losing it all due to the star blasting their mouth without a second thought, not like Roseanne needed the money anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name me the other document that popularized the phrase. I'll wait.
    The Declaration of the Rights of Man springs to immediate mind, given it's the template the Founding Fathers cribbed off of in the first place. But we could dig back further to Erasmus, or even the Magna Carta.

Overreaction by the heads at the network and especially the sponsors. Rosanne should have been punished on her own, not the whole cast and crew. You could say "no Rosanne no show" but to react by pulling all old episodes as well was an overkill. But such are the PC times we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadinquiry View Post
    Overreaction by the heads at the network and especially the sponsors. Rosanne should have been punished on her own, not the whole cast and crew. You could say "no Rosanne no show" but to react by pulling all old episodes as well was an overkill. But such are the PC times we live in.
    Would be kinda hard to punish just her. I don't think any eponymous show could get away with pulling a Sandy Duncan these days.

..unless they replaced her with Rosie O'Donnell and have her act as if she were the character all along. That'd be almost trollish.

15+ Year Old Account
    I googled the woman. She's not wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    At least one of them said she was talking to her manager to quit when she found out the show was canceled.

Barr really let them all down.
    One staff member doesn't represent the dozens whom job just got axed though. The decision to cancel the show isn't on Barr, but on ABC. There were a plethora of other actions ABC could've taken, less radical and which would've been as successful.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    One staff member doesn't represent the dozens whom job just got axed though. The decision to cancel the show isn't on Barr, but on ABC. There were a plethora of other actions ABC could've taken, less radical and which would've been as successful.
    So, a show called Rosanne without Rosanne in it? How would that work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, a show called Rosanne without Rosanne in it? How would that work?
    It's a comedy revolving around a character named Roseanne, not about Roseanne Barr. The character is named Roseanne Conner.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

You're failing to acknowledge the significance of the First Amendment, which literally has the phrase 'freedom of speech' in it and it's the most popular aspect of the Amendment cited by people when debating censorship. The First Amendment popularized that phrase and its context. Whether you're deliberately ignoring that to get a rise out of me or you're actually ignorant of it I'm not sure of.
    The freedom of speech the constitution protects is rather limited, and doesn't apply at all to a situation like this. You do not actually *have* freedom of speech in the public domain at all, as it would simply be impossible to enforce legally.

The crew that worked on the show will just move on to the whatever show ABC replaces it with.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It's a comedy revolving around a character named Roseanne, not about Roseanne Barr. The character is named Roseanne Conner.
    Who is played by Roseanne Barr.

"We built the show around my actual life and my kids. The 'domestic goddess', the whole thing". - Roseanne Barr

Can we just delete Twitter now, very tired of it be the end all be all of news and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Who is played by Roseanne Barr.
    "The show is centered on the Conners, an American working-class family struggling to get by on a limited household income in their home at 714 Delaware Street in the drab fictional mid-state exurb of Lanford, Illinois."

Totally sounds like Roseanne.

PS: Characters can be recast. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    "We built the show around my actual life and my kids. The 'domestic goddess', the whole thing". - Roseanne Barr
    That sounds like a quote taken out of context.

Anyway it's stupid to even argue about this, the fact is that the show is cancelled regardless and that's ABC decision. They'll have to live with the consequences, good and bad.
    Google Diversity Memo