Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will just post this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4036997 of what the BBC are up to with some of their content.. Like how they have (Sophie Okonedo) playing the role of Margaret of Anjou, an actual historical figure who was the wife of King Henry the VI in the BBC's 'The Hollow Crown'. There are many other shows that they have changed..

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Yeah, it's a fucking shame blacks and asians can't pony up the money to produce their own movies, and hire the actors they want. But I guess it's easier just to bitch and moan about imaginary things like white-washing.

Just get Tyler Perry to produce a movie with a worthwhile screenplay for a change. There, problem solved.
    Lol, I like how you completely missed the point. The OP wanted to talk about inaccurate portrayals of characters in films so let’s talk about it.

I just linked an article highlighting white washing and your best rebuttal is cursing like a child and dismissing it as imaginary when it’s clearly a real issue, hence the article existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    technically whites are the minority in american now, so this sounds interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    It's american like 64% white?
    And even if whites were less than 50%, they'd still be the majority. All those "muh white demographics folks" think all non whites are the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But, a black person can play a white person?
    It depends. Is the person's color of the skin strongly tied to who they are as a historical figure?

If yes, then no.

If no, then yes.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I thought there might've been something like that behind it, but I used it as an example, since I couldn't think of a case where a white actor portrayed a non-white character. Maybe that happened more in older movies, but I wouldn't be aware of it.

EDIT: Well, Doctor Strange was one, with Tilda Swinton acting a fine version of Stephen Strange's mentor, who was originally an Asian man. Though the movie also had Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo, also an Asian man originally.

EDIT2: Keeping it in he MCU, Iron Man 3 had Guy Pearce as Mandarin, who, again, was originally an Asian man. It was a surprise reveal, with Ben Kingsley originally being advertised as Mandarin, and I remember media going berserk over it back in the day.
    The Mandarin change up, which has been revealed the real Mandarin is still out there, was fine with me. The original Mandarin was the racist stereotype of the Asian villain that was ingrained in the American zeitgeist since pre WWII. Slanted eyes, large buck teeth, the fu manchu moustache so bringing that character directly from the comics was never going to work. He had to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    And even if whites were less than 50%, they'd still be the majority. All those "muh white demographics folks" think all non whites are the same.
    They'd be the biggest group but not the majority.

ITT people equating a real person to fictional characters.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    I will just post this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4036997 of what the BBC are up to with some of their content.. Like how they have (Sophie Okonedo) playing the role of Margaret of Anjou, an actual historical figure who was the wife of King Henry the VI in the BBC's 'The Hollow Crown'. There are many other shows that they have changed..
    https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/showb...les/index.html

http://www.indiewire.com/gallery/hol...mcdhust-ec003/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...o-wasnt-white/

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    That would be stupid, and not remotely equivalent.
    Why not? Achilles was a white guy portrayed by a black guy and non white women portraying white female heroines. So how would a white guy portraying MLK jr. be worse?

You saying MLK Jr. was more important than those people therefore he's not to be touched?

Just to be clear, I'm not cool with rewriting history just cause "muh diversity". But if you're doing it go all the way in.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    They'd be the biggest group but not the majority.
    You are right, if you want to be pedantic, they would be the plurality. Anyway, in either cases, they would not be a minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It depends. Is the person's color of the skin strongly tied to who they are as a historical figure?

If yes, then no.

If no, then yes.
    For me, it doesn't matter of the icon. As said, I generally don't care but if the basics of it is A, then I would rather the outcome of a new movie or show that it is still 'A'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

ITT people equating a real person to fictional characters.
    Joan of Arc was fictional? Well I'll be damned.
    STRESS

The bigots are strong in this thread, and it's so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    The Mandarin change up, which has been revealed the real Mandarin is still out there, was fine with me. The original Mandarin was the racist stereotype of the Asian villain that was ingrained in the American zeitgeist since pre WWII. Slanted eyes, large buck teeth, the fu manchu moustache so bringing that character directly from the comics was never going to work. He had to be changed.

http://www.comicpow.com/wp-content/u...uspense-50.png
    Could've simply been a modern Asian dude, but yeah, I'm okay with whateverwashing of characters. Guy Pearce was fine.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Why not? Achilles was a white guy portrayed by a black guy and non white women portraying white female heroines. So how would a white guy portraying MLK jr. be worse?

You saying MLK Jr. was more important than those people therefore he's not to be touched?

Just to be clear, I'm not cool with rewriting history just cause "muh diversity". But if you're doing it go all the way in.
    Achilles isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    No. Straight cissss white men are the untouchables in the 2018 caste system.
    Hey buddy you dropped your victim card.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Something like this would probably lead to violence in the streets, or have you forgotten BLM burning down neighborhoods and assassinating police officers under the last administration?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Joan of Arc was fictional? Well I'll be damned.
    People are equating gods like Zeus and other mythical characters to MLK.

As for Joan of Arc, for her character race doesn't really matter.

Also, white characters / people being portrayed by non white actors is different than the reverse as there are myriads of both positive portrayals of white people and acting opportunities for white actors already. A few recasts makes no numerical difference. The other way around has huge impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionexe View Post
    Would it be okay and should a white guy act as a Martin Luther King Jr. in a potential tv show, movie or a videogame in the future? Would you be okay with that? Is there a limit what should or should not be done? Or is it just a movie and everything is okay?
    We had a movie, where a kenyan black guy played Marshal of Finland, Mannerheim. That was dumb, but apparently some artsy guys thought it was great, so it went off as that. Towards that background I would not mind one bit if MLK was played by a white dude, Jesus was played by a yellow dude and Mohammed was played by a woman. (There also was a cartoon, where Mannerheim was portrayed as a faggot fairy)

Obviously some people would be majorly butthurt and places would be burned and people possibly killed. But hey, it's art! I challenge any muslim to accept their "hero" mohammed portrayed as something they personally have a hard time to accept. Like gay.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Achilles isn't real.
    Elba, all I'm going to say is this.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it's okay to whiteface, then it's damn well okay to blackface. The only reason they do it because they know that white people are 1)more tolerant of bullshit and 2) you have most of them guilt tripped for things they never did. Whereas they know that if they offend black people (and call me racist if you want) they'll pitch a fit and probably burn down their cities like they nearly did when Trump was elected.
    STRESS