Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Interestingly, while it's more a reflection of the medium used, Achilles is often portrayed black on Greek vases, like jet black.
    That's due to materials, paints, and art style rather than any commentary on race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-figure_pottery

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Blond hair isn't exclusive to white populations. Just fyi.
    Greeks are white. Let's not try and rewrite history here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Rome existed, Marcus Aurelius and Commodus existed, doesn't mean Gladiator actually happened.
    yeah but even if it didnt.

most likely maximus meridius wouldnt have been japanese.or black.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-05-30 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    That says more about the ignorance of northern Europeans at the time than it does the racial background of Southern Europeans.
    Indeed. However, the point is that Southern Europeans are noticeably darker than Northern Europeans. Kim Kardashian for example is quite a bit darker in overall appearance than Sophie Turner or Scarlett Johannsen.

7+ Year Old Account
    It would not really work, since race is pretty much a focus in MLK jr life. I don't think a white actor on the big screen could portray the racism MLK was fighting against.

Having MLK be white is though something i would love to see in a theatre, where people can do whatever they want when it comes t roles. I tend to love plays, where males are played by females or the other way around, and where it is more the performance, that is in focus, not the actors looks.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Indeed. However, the point is that Southern Europeans are noticeably darker than Northern Europeans. Kim Kardashian for example is quite a bit darker in overall appearance than Sophie Turner or Scarlett Johannsen.
    But still white. I'm all on board with accurate casting. But an obviously African-descent actor is even further off the mark than a pale blonde-hair, blue-eyed Germanic person is, though both do miss the mark. The difference being an African playing a Achilles is akin to a blonde-hair blue-eyed Shaka Zulu, while a Germanic person playing a Greek is akin to an Amharic Ethiopian actor playing Shaka Zulu. Both are miscast, but one is more miscast than the other.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2018-05-30 at 07:22 PM.

That's due to materials, paints, and art style rather than any commentary on race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-figure_pottery

- - - Updated - - -

Greeks are white. Let's not try and rewrite history here.
    Like I said, the medium. It does make it an interesting look though. You can also make an artistic leap from seeing the black figure pottery depiction, and then show the show's depiction, and have people be like "alright."

But still white. I'm all on board with accurate casting. But an obviously African-descent actor is even further off the mark than a pale blonde-hair, blue-eyed Germanic person is, though both do miss the mark.
    So how'd you feel about Dwayne Johnson playing Hercules? He was probably closer to the Southern European skin tone than a pale, blonde-haired, blue eyed Germanic person.

So how'd you feel about Dwayne Johnson playing Hercules? He was probably closer to the Southern European skin tone than a pale, blonde-haired, blue eyed Germanic person.
    I liked him playing Hercules. Had no issues with it at all. Thought he looked the part much more than Kellan Lutz.

You cannot really ignore race in the case of MLK jr. It is a defining feature as opposed to the other examples you cited.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2018-05-30 at 07:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Potentially. Troy wasn't a story about Race and Joan of Arc wasn't a story about race. So i'm ok with that. Now if Joan of Arc was played by a man, then I would not watch that out of principle.

The character's message and what they fought for should matter in casting the actor who will play the role.
    But what if jesus was played by a woman?

You realize that most societies, especially along the Mediterranean, have a range of skin tones. Trying to say what color a Greek or Italian person should be is inherently ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    You realize that most societies, especially along the Mediterranean, have a range of skin tones. Trying to say what color a Greek or Italian person should be is inherently ignorant.
    Exactly, I mean, in my own Greek side of the family, my grandmother had the typical Mediterranean features, olive skin, dark brown hair, etc. But my grandfather was blond and blue-eyed. Both were Greeks, just from different regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    That would be stupid, and not remotely equivalent.
    Indeed, the queen of England in the 1400's was in fact, MUCH MUCH more important character at the time. Not remotely equivalent for sure

For me anyone is fine, as long as the script and play is good delivered
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    But what if jesus was played by a woman?
    I wouldn't watch it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If a black guy can't play Achilles neither can a white guy. During many of those time periods Greeks were quite mixed and not exactly the white people they are today. Persians would have been more white than Greeks.
    "In the Iliad, Achilles has blonde hair («ξανθῆς δὲ κόμης ἕλε Πηλεΐωνα» = "she (Athena) grabbed Achilles by his blonde hair"; Iliad, 1.197). That's probably the most persistent characteristic given for him and is repeated numerous times. The word "xanthē" (ξανθή) used here can be translated as "yellow", "fair", "golden", "blonde". Sadly, we can't be sure about the exact shade."

If we go by the Illiad he was blonde though. And other sources describe him having reddish-blonde hair. Does sound kind of white eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Which isn't what I was saying. What I said is that assuming that a mythological greek hero looked like a Nordic is ridiculous because (as you said) Southern Europeans come in a wide-range of skin tones, including darker skin tones. Ironically Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel, two men of African heritage, fit in that range of tones.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be perfectly fine but only if she goes blackface.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Even vikings used lye to make their hair blonder, as this was considered the most "beautiful" back then. Don't some Africans do the same to their hair?
    But Greeks never did, that I know of. Greeks can be fair-haired, hell, as I said, my own grandfather was blond.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Yep, I've seen plenty of blonde Greeks. Real or not, I could not tell. That would take some more thorough investigation...
    Just don't ask a lady if the carpet matches the drapes. Never goes well.

I'm reminded of that Charles Barkley Taco Bell commercial.

"That's a turrible idea!"