10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Do you stop getting perk points at some point? I assume the points stop flowing eventually and it all becomes deck management while you push your legendary card progression.
    You can increase your SPECIAL by one point (to a max of 15 per stat) every level until 50.

You keep getting perk card packs every five levels or whatever forever. And at level 50 and beyond, every time you level up you can either move a SPECIAL point or choose a perk card (a specific card, not random). So if you haven't gotten your build fully put together with the random cards you get up to 50, you can quite quickly get all the specific cards you want soon after 50.

And after that you scrap unused perk cards into perk coins to rank up legendary perks... You get 2 coins per perk card rank and it costs 50 coins for rank 2, 100 coins for rank 3, and 150 coins for rank 4 legendary perks. And you can have 6 of them total, so 1800 points to have 6 fully upgraded legendary perks; 900 scrapped perk cards worth of coins. I haven't looked into the exact math, but you will need many hundreds of levels worth of perk cards scrapped into coins to get that.

So...anyone still playing? I'm back after finally finishing FO4 and created a new character. It's kinda nice that you run into stuff from more recent updates and don't have to play through them one at a time. Even picked up the sub since having the junk stash is FUCKIN AMAZING and some of the other perks are pretty good, it's functionally the same as the ESO sub except that there's no "free DLC" with it since all the content is free. Now I just gotta wait for some decent cosmetic sales so I can spend the atoms I'll have.

I feel like the game has really turned around in a big way following the god-awful launch. Expeditions sound like they could be cool, more Steel Brotherhood content is on the way. I'm sure if I ever make it to "endgame" and clear out most of the story quests that I'll get bored with the daily grind, but for now it remains deeply enjoyable to just wander around and explore locations (or clear out and loot ones I've already explored). Trying to make my current character a semi-auto rifle build even though it's apparently not super good. Just hoping the fix the bugs with robots/flame squids because hearing the robot sounds repeat endlessly as if they're in constant collision with something or having my framerate crater for a hot second when I hit one is frustrating.

And Nuclear Winter is getting taken down by the end of the year. Shame for the folks that liked it, but hopefully it'll mean they can trim the size of the game down a bit and that it'll mean more stuff for adventure mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to play the game effectively as a single player Fallout game, would I be able to do that? I just wanna explore and do some quests. Is the story and exploration compelling in this game?

I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3, NV, and 4 so I'm curious to see how this game stacks up from a more single player perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    If I wanted to play the game effectively as a single player Fallout game, would I be able to do that? I just wanna explore and do some quests. Is the story and exploration compelling in this game?

I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3, NV, and 4 so I'm curious to see how this game stacks up from a more single player perspective.
    If you want a REAL solo experience, you need to subscribe for a private world.

Otherwise it's a primarily solo experience but you do run into folks from time to time, most of the time just passing them by. It's nice sometimes since folks will share stuff with you or you can benefit from the stuff at their workshops, also it helps with some of the public events.

If you want a REAL solo experience, you need to subscribe for a private world.

Otherwise it's a primarily solo experience but you do run into folks from time to time, most of the time just passing them by. It's nice sometimes since folks will share stuff with you or you can benefit from the stuff at their workshops, also it helps with some of the public events.
    or they just use hacks to steal directly from your inventory LOL

or was that fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    or they just use hacks to steal directly from your inventory LOL

or was that fixed?
    I think so? I haven't heard about it in a long while. There are apparently still hacked items and whatnot (folks one-shotting bosses and shit), but I haven't heard seen anything about it since coming back.

I think so? I haven't heard about it in a long while. There are apparently still hacked items and whatnot (folks one-shotting bosses and shit), but I haven't heard seen anything about it since coming back.
    well hacked items are one thing,thats common in singleplayer games with online components,but the stealing stuff from others with a click of a buton was just crazy....also i nevr heard of a game with these insane issues in an always online game,but ofc the worst thing is that bethesda was warned in advance about these issues before going live and they didnt do shit...they even banned people that were finding and reporting exploits

idk i rly wanted to play it,as shity as bethesda games are they are an odd guilty pleasure,kinda like people who enjoy self harm,but this time it whent to far

well hacked items are one thing,thats common in singleplayer games with online components,but the stealing stuff from others with a click of a buton was just crazy....also i nevr heard of a game with these insane issues in an always online game,but ofc the worst thing is that bethesda was warned in advance about these issues before going live and they didnt do shit...they even banned people that were finding and reporting exploits

idk i rly wanted to play it,as shity as bethesda games are they are an odd guilty pleasure,kinda like people who enjoy self harm,but this time it whent to far
    It was shit at launch, but it's come a LONG way since then IMO. Still got some of that signature Bethesda Jank(tm), but it plays a lot more like a Fallout game (just with a lot more scarcity of stuff since it's a bit more survival focused, but still VERY light on survival elements. Like, apparently running out of food/water doesn't actually have any negative effects. You just get some minor boosts from having those bars full).

Actually I'm pretty sure that the 'stealing items in trade' thing was all just made up. A bunch a trolls organizing in Discord and posting lies on Reddit most likely. People were just very willing to believe anything negative they heard about this game. I remember there were a few other completely fabricated exploits they were trying to spread, but they never caught on.

Which is all dumb cause Fallout 76 is just like the Trump presidency. It's got enough sandals, you don't have to invent fake ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Actually I'm pretty sure that the 'stealing items in trade' thing was all just made up. A bunch a trolls organizing in Discord and posting lies on Reddit most likely. People were just very willing to believe anything negative they heard about this game. I remember there were a few other completely fabricated exploits they were trying to spread, but they never caught on.

Which is all dumb cause Fallout 76 is just like the Trump presidency. It's got enough sandals, you don't have to invent fake ones.
    idk,could be,heres a video showing it,also this wasnt just ''trolls'',many bethesda youtube fan channels talked about it,these people didnt want the game to be a shitstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xehn...idBodegaTheKid

idk,could be,heres a video showing it,also this wasnt just ''trolls'',many bethesda youtube fan channels talked about it,these people didnt want the game to be a shitstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xehn...idBodegaTheKid
    Yeah, definitely happened. IIRC they nailed it down pretty quick and nothing anything like it has happened since. It's still got plenty of the Bethesda Jank(tm), but haven't heard of anything that would actually cause others to impact your gameplay like this.

Yeah, definitely happened. IIRC they nailed it down pretty quick and nothing anything like it has happened since. It's still got plenty of the Bethesda Jank(tm), but haven't heard of anything that would actually cause others to impact your gameplay like this.
    I just wish they sold an offline version as well,bethesda games are usualy given a pass for being a mess because of their impresive mod support flexibility

but with 76 thats all gone...and they didnt even comit to the survival open world pvp aspect of it,this game is really a mystery of indecisive identity design choices

I just wish they sold an offline version as well,bethesda games are usualy given a pass for being a mess because of their impresive mod support flexibility
    Well, that'll be FO5 whenever they get around to making/announcing that. This isn't really a "standard" FO game in many regards, and taking it offline and allowing for mods would likely compromise their vision for the game. The fact that all the content they're releasing is 100% free is quite solid.

but with 76 thats all gone...and they didnt even comit to the survival open world pvp aspect of it,this game is really a mystery of indecisive identity design choices
    Because they tried that at launch and nobody really bothered with it because people don't play Fallout for PvP. It still exists and there are groups that support more organized PvP, but most folks just want to wander the wasteland and play a FO game.

But it's got a pretty clear identify now, and that's "What we launched as was garbage and everyone hated that, and we know this now." Hence why they're bringing back a lot of popular factions and the like (BoS), still adding a lot more narrative/story content with human/robot NPC's, and they're working on the expeditions for sometime later for some more group content.

They tried out PvP/BR with Nuclear Winter and it never seemed to take off, so it kinda lingered around with minimal support until they announced they're killing it later this year. They actually seem fairly responsive to adjusting the direction of the game based on what players are actually doing and what players are telling them. Which is a good thing.

Well, that'll be FO5 whenever they get around to making/announcing that. This isn't really a "standard" FO game in many regards, and taking it offline and allowing for mods would likely compromise their vision for the game. The fact that all the content they're releasing is 100% free is quite solid.

Because they tried that at launch and nobody really bothered with it because people don't play Fallout for PvP. It still exists and there are groups that support more organized PvP, but most folks just want to wander the wasteland and play a FO game.

But it's got a pretty clear identify now, and that's "What we launched as was garbage and everyone hated that, and we know this now." Hence why they're bringing back a lot of popular factions and the like (BoS), still adding a lot more narrative/story content with human/robot NPC's, and they're working on the expeditions for sometime later for some more group content.

They tried out PvP/BR with Nuclear Winter and it never seemed to take off, so it kinda lingered around with minimal support until they announced they're killing it later this year. They actually seem fairly responsive to adjusting the direction of the game based on what players are actually doing and what players are telling them. Which is a good thing.
    sounds ok,proly gonna try it out once i feel its in a more ''definitive edition'' state

sounds ok,proly gonna try it out once i feel its in a more ''definitive edition'' state
    It won't be? The game is more or less what it is now and will keep expanding slowly over time, and it's already vastly improved and IMO in pretty good shape. Considering all the post-launch content is free, they're unlikely to do any kind of "definitive edition" release. You missed a good sale they had on Steam, but it goes on sale often enough that you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Aight, FO First is dope. Didn't realize it gave a "tent" with a tinker bench and scrapbox so you can scrap stuff on the fly, and it gives you a free fast-travel to it to boot. So you can drop it where you're at, go back to your camp for free to dump your inventory completely/repair etc. (if you don't need to repair and fully dump you can just scrap at your tent) and then go back to your tent where you just were for free. Sure, fast travel isn't super expensive (20-30 caps when you have thousands ain't much), but it helps.

Also, apparently by having a character that's level 50 you unlock legendary perk cards for your account which...I wish I'd known earlier! I didn't progress that much when I played my last character, and don't even really remember looking at them, but holy shit. Apparently there's one that gives +3 lockpick/hacking which saved me a cool 3 6 points (3 of which I don't have cards to use yet, sadly) and it's dope, it even auto-opens/hacks level 0 stuff which while not a huge deal (they're super easy) is super convenient given how easy they are. You even still get some XP for it.

Now I kinda wanna take over some of the workshops that give plans on a private world. Haven't messed around with workshops really, just did one when I played like a year ago, but I kinda don't wanna risk the PvP element of it on live servers. I need so many bloody plans still so maybe that'll help out.

And protip for anyone playing: Water purifiers and corn/carrot plants are great. I think the beehive is from SCORE progress or something, but you can easily self-sustain your food/water needs with the purifier (5 purified water pretty much whenever you go back to your camp) and some crops to harvest which you can turn into soup (with boiled water which restores both thirst/hunger) or other foods. And honey so you can always have 10 in your inventory to insta-complete the Sweetwater tea daily. It's more than I've ever done with my camp before, and I still need to find some good "permanent" locations that are nearby resources and whatnot, but I kinda do want to work on making my camp more functional/fun than just having a hideout door that goes into a largely utilitarian room with crafting benches, stashes, and a bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...anyone still playing?
    Yes. I still find it fun, and it's definitely improved since launch. And they're still putting out new stuff. They also did those board games with dailies like every other online game, but the rewards are worth the grind to me.

To answer the @deenman you can effectively play it like single player. There are public events and you can't stop people from helping, but, um, why would you? Other than that, doing main quest or random dungeons and you'll almost certainly be left alone.

EDIT: Since at least one person is looking for tips (and btw this is the place to do it) I'll toss out a few that have served me well.

1) Get the Green Thumb perk card, equip it, and never remove it. Double plants from all sources makes cooking and making medicines a ton easier. There's also a daily quest to pick pumpkins that's just that much faster XP. Most importantly, when you feel the need to get Flux from nuke zones, Green Thumb works there too.

2) Do not let the perfect become the enemy of the good. There's tons of chatter out there about Bloodied builds, legacy weapons, etc for people who want to steamrol everything in seconds. None of these are required. End-game content, such as Wendigo Collossi, Scorchbeast Queens and Daily OPs, can be done with plenty of time with direct, obvious approaches like "heavy guns and power armor". Knowledge is more important than DPS. It doesn't matter how good your gun is if you don't know which targets to shoot.

3) There are upcoming changes about legendary weapons which means you'll want the plans for your favorite weapons as soon as you can get them. By the time you get to lvl 50 you can make anything, so once you're there, decide which weapons you like the most (for me, that's the gauss rifle, flamer, and baseball bat) and make sure you can craft those. This might mean hunting down robot vendors, or looking for player-owned ones. You'll also want to scrap a bunch of those till you learn the mods you want. I also recommend reading any treasure maps you get when you get 3 or more of the same one, since they can drop these plans.

For some weapons, most notoriously Handmade and Radium Rifles, this will take a while. Sorry.

This is less important when it comes to armor because...

4) Secret Service Armor might have the best combination of stats plus ease of access. Running the gold heist main quest is not especially difficult, and the story is actually pretty fun. Once you get access to gold bullion, it will take a while of dailies to get enough to get a full SS set with the mods you like, but none of that is random. Daily quests pay the same gold bullion each time, period. The plans are always for sale for the same price, period. And the dailies are fast, so, it won't cramp your style much.

Predictability is better than random any day.

5) You should get the Master Infiltrator legendary park card and instantly equip it, and never take it off. It lets you pick any lock/hack any computer without equipping the pick locks/hacking computer non-legendary perk cards, letting you "spend your stat points" in other ways.

6) With or without the Nuka perk cards, a bottle of Nuka Cherry is a solid go-to combat healing potion. I mean, it's a bottle of red fluid in an RPG, what did you think it'd be? They don't fix broken limbs, but they do work instantly without a stimpak self-inject animation. Since it's not a chem or alcohol you can use it whenever you want.

7) Speaking of chems and alcohol, my go-to pairing is Psychobuff and Hard Lemonade. Psychobuff is just a solid offense/defense chem. The recipe for Psychobuff can be found in some events, or you can save up your caps and buy it by completing the Enclave questline. Hard Lemonade is far more random: you need to find the robot-run lemonade stand random encounter, which I've only found in the Forest and the Mire. You don't need to complete Biv's questline to make Hard Lemonade, but you will need a brewing station, of which a few are scattered around the open world. Hard Lemonade is made from one Lemonade, which you can also learn from the lemonade stand, requiring loads of acid and sugar (sugar is made from the reeds growing in rivers in the forest, or found in kitchens and ice cream stands), and one Vodka. It's a potent +MaxAP +APR booze.

8) You'll learn pretty quickly which monsters do radiation and, worse, poison damage. If you're not paying attention and get surrounded, radiation damage can kill you while you frantically pound the stimpak hotkey to no effect. Poison damage, by contrast, is very hard to reduce. It's a useful legendary armor effect, and there is a legendary perk card that helps. If you like to run a Bloodied build, these two things will be your most frequent cause of death. Be prepared.

9) The best grenades are also among the cheapest. Nuka Grenades and MIRV Grenades both require frags, which are dirt common, and the recipes aren't that hard to randomly acquire.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2021-06-27 at 02:21 PM.

Jesus there's so much shit to do post-50. Need so many perk cards before I can even start to fix up my build a bit, tons of progress for legendary cards (is it just me or is the lockpick/hack card like...stupid good? Auto-hack/pick everything at max rank? furreals). Now I'm just needing to work on my ammo supply with my rifleman build (5.56 for handmade, .45 for lever action) which I guess means I need to finish the mission to get the mining power armor so I can mine the shit outta some lead.

Apparently there's an ammo generator from one of the factions you can get that will passively generate a bit, but man am I feeling like I'm starting to run outta ammo. Picked up a converter that I'll need to use to convert some unused garbage like missiles and whatnot, which should help.

But apparently daily ops are a great source of ammo, I've just been hesitant to join any of them since I'm still in pretty shitty gear/awful at the game.

Finally making it to the eastern/northeast section which I never did on my old character (skipping the robot raider lady quest for now so she doesn't yell at me each time I log in), there's a lot of really pretty scenery and great visual storytelling in the map. I just wish they'd fix the audio issue with robots (get more than 3-4 in an area and sound goes to total shit) and some of the weird performance issues in some spots of the map where the game starts chugging.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.p14wcsgx9tkk

Seems to be a fairly updated list of locations for just about anything you might want to farm. Wish there was an easier way to tag materials for search other than dumping all of said mat from your inventory/stash, trying to craft an item that needs it, and toggling it there. Feel like it's gonna take some doing to build up enough springs/lead/ballistic fiber/screws/few other bits and bobs that I'll need to keep my shit repaired and my ammo topped off, but I'm down with that. Still tons left to do.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-06-29 at 05:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently there's an ammo generator from one of the factions

But apparently daily ops are a great source of ammo
    There's an ammo generator, and an ammo converter. Honestly, I think the converter is the better, but there's no reason you can't have both.

The converter lets you burn ammo you don't like (0.38, syringes, crossbow bolts, etc) into points, and spend the points on ammo you do like. Points are an invisible currency. You can use the ammo converter in someone else's camp, there's no reason to lock those, you can't steal someone else's points. So you could, for example, save all the ammo you don't like in your stash, and when you find someone's camp with a converter (or get your own) extract them and burn them.

Or, you can burn materials to make crappy ammo (looking at you, railway rifle spikes) just to burn them for converter points.

Alternatively, you can and should look into the legendary perk card Ammo Factory. A max rank card is +150% ammo crafted, and it stacks multiplicatively. It was my first card to 4/4 and I've never even considered removing it since. If you're a ways away from that, perhaps someone in your friends list has it and can craft ammo for you. Also, the prevalence of this card means that places such as Market 76 have people selling ammo for 1 cap each, or lower.

Daily OPs can be good for ammo, kind of. Any enemy you kill in Daiy OPs drops the ammo of the gun you fired to kill them. I am a horrible shot, and individual monsters don't give me enough ammo to replace the ammo I used very often. But the end boss drops a bunch, and completing the OP gives you a larger bundle. In my Heavy Armor Shotgun build, I tend to burn about 100 to 200 Ultracite EC charges per run, and get back 200 to 300 if I run around looting every single corpse and also tag the boss. If I'm less effective, I still break even, but you're not looking to break even.

If you're worried about Daily OPs, there are two types and one of them can be helped by literally anyone. Uplink speed can be helped by a level 1 nobody just standing still, so if you see a 2 or 3-man group forming, you'll be doing them a favor just by being there. Simply put, extra people cannot make an Uplink Daily OP slower. Just bring your A-game, by which I mean as many food buffs as you can get and inject chems like an East German gymnast.

There was also a tune a while ago that made Ultracite ammo crafting more effective. I don't know if you saw that or not.

Unrelated: I'm pretty sure my Secret Service armor doesn't take ballistic fiber to repair. If you're not worried about having enough ballistic fiber, consider working on a replacement set that doesn't require it. Also the asylum has a few ammo bags in the abandoned Brotherhood rooms -- they're mostly on the left side of the building.

Yo this last update was pretty bangers. I haven't touched the story bits yet, but it's great.

Legendary crafting is...alright. It's just a big resource sink that's gated a bit, but it's fantastic to be able to craft legendary mods on gear I'm already using. It'll be slow going, but already got a decent 3-star handmade and just need to start working on the rest of my armor.

Events are poppin! Since they drop the modules/cores (I forget which is which) needed for legendary crafting most worlds I've been on usually have an events team or two rolling, and even if not there are usually folks at just about any active event. I've engaged with some prior to the update, but I'm doing a lot more now that there's more incentive and have noticed a lot more engagement overall. Solid shit, doing some events I've never done before so that's a lot of fun.

And I'm genuinely shocked at how much there remains "to do". I'm around 120 hours into my character (started fresh since my last was awful, I'd forgotten everything, and I like fresh starts after long breaks) and I've still got tons of main/side missions to do plus a handful of locations that I still haven't explored/uncovered on my map. That's not even touching on stuff like rep grinds and other more end-game focused activities.

And now that I'm focusing a bit on SCORE stuff (first time I've played when there's a fresh season!) I'm doing more daily-ops. Mods seem to have a huge impact on whether it's "fun" or not, but I've been quite enjoying running these with full groups. Great side-bonus of them (and events, but more daily-ops) is that people die so you can get your revive credit for the Pioneer Scout quest which I thought would take forever.

Seriously, I'm sure that as I get closer to the "endgame grind" phase that a lot more of the wrinkles and flaws to really show, but I'm still having an absolute blast. Nothing too fancy, but got my camp set up so I can make some extra caps selling bobbleheads/mags/chems/other stuff for super cheap (I have no idea what 'standard' prices are so everything I sell is probably dirt-cheap which I'm fine with. Just a bit of extra caps that I don't do much with and I've had some lowbies swing by to stock up for adventures without bankrupting them) and appear to have plenty to sustain my ammo/food (corn soup FTW, and ammo factory + superduper + ammosmith for crafting ammo).

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Kinda wanna find some "guilds" or whatever now. I love wandering the wasteland alone, but sometimes it'd be nice to have a few buddies. That or be able to nab folks for daily-ops instead of world-hopping until I find one with an active group or two.

Downside of the update is it seems to have introduced a few annoying bugs (sometimes I lose the ability to "scope" in third person and am forced to walk until I sprint, it's weird) and apparently a new dupe bug that's been causing server instability all weekend. Saturday patch was supposed to address it but it seems to be having mixed results.