Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

visiting european countries

can u visit france, spain, germany, czech republic, austria, netherlands, hungary and u can speak english to the people there? will they understand u? how do they think of foreigner visiting their country? do u get problems for being a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    can u visit france, spain, germany, czech republic, austria, netherlands, hungary and u can speak english to the people there? will they understand u? how do they think of foreigner visiting their country? do u get problems for being a foreigner?
    They all speak English to pretty high degrees, I'd wager. Europe needs tourism, they generally treat tourists well. And you're Thai, right? You won't have any issues with locals.

My crazy evil Thai ex married a Hungarian. I almost feel bad for the bloke.

Deleted
    That's like half a dozen different countries from very varied parts of europe, with very different cultures, languages etc. I think you'd get better answers if you narrowed your questions down to singular countries instead.

Touristy places will have signs and staff that speak English but its when you got out into the small villages thats where you start to need a small grasp of the language or maybe a app on a phone.

Deleted
    Not France. Even when they do understand you, they will refuse to speak English.

Even in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Not France. Even when they do understand you, they will refuse to speak English.

Even in Paris.
    The reputation of French people being surly is not far from the truth.

I remember holidaying in France and in my holiday camp my dad ordered a batch of muscles to eat and take back and now this was 9pm and the chef behind looked at him like he had just murdered his wife. He threw the muscles into a pan and was shouting obscenity's that even us English could understand. Thing was the cook house didnt close until 11 pm so we didnt know why he was pissed. Was like that alot every where we went now this was back in the early 90s but back then French people didnt seem to like to work and certainly didnt do it with a smile.

Deleted

Even in Paris.
    This.

Even near Eurotunnel where they get a lot of visitors from UK nobody speaks English. I had hard time ordering food there, ended up just pointing to random thing and nodding. They got me something made out of beef, which was quite good.

Also in Italy in many places people don't bother with learning English, even though they get lots of tourists. But its nowhere near as bad as in France.

In any other country you'll be fine.

Many people in Europe can speak English. Some more, some less. However, the trick for people to understand English, is to first actually speak English to them. "y u no undertand me spek enlish? caramba!" is not the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Even in Paris.
    Last time I was in France, I found the people in Paris to be kinda offputting. But once I got to small towns out near the German border, I found the people there to be very friendly and, while they didn't speak English very well, very willing to attempt to make communication work. So your mileage may vary, even different parts of the same country can have very different feels and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Last time I was in France, I found the people in Paris to be kinda offputting. But once I got to small towns out near the German border, I found the people there to be very friendly and, while they didn't speak English very well, very willing to attempt to make communication work. So your mileage may vary, even different parts of the same country can have very different feels and personality.
    My experience with the French (outside of the big cities) is that if you are clearly making an effort to speak some French, they will be more accommodating. It's basically just a sign of respect in my opinion that you at least try to integrate a bit when buying food and sitting in a restaurant.

10+ Year Old Account
    France, Spain and Germany speak very poorly English, at best..
    Czech, Holland, Austria speak very good English
    Hungary speak an understandable English.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    In France always start by a few words in French to explain you don't speak French. Only then speak English.
    You'll still get assholes but this dramatically improves the reaction of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    You may have a problem a little in France (the pride thing), Italy (refusal to learn it), Spain (they talk to fast in english to understand or they never learned it) and Belgium (most problematic is french part)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My experience with the French (outside of the big cities) is that if you are clearly making an effort to speak some French, they will be more accommodating. It's basically just a sign of respect in my opinion that you at least try to integrate a bit when buying food and sitting in a restaurant.
    Meanwhile France REFUSING to integrate with the rest of Western World is completely fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Meanwhile France REFUSING to integrate with the rest of Western World is completely fine.
    Meanwhile, the US refusing to integrate with the Americas is completely fine....?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I've been to few of those countries and out of all of them only french ppl been dick to foreigners .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Yeah, you are right. But overall, the French have this very arrogant attitude towards language (and culture).
    They even forced the EU to make a copy of EVERYTHING they put on record in French, even though all other countries are fine with it being in English.
    And they still announce things in French at the Olympics and at the European Song Festival.

I have nothing against the French, they are often friendly people, but they are oh-so annoying when it comes to language barriers.

I have been to France twice as an exchange student and had no problems whatsoever (that was more than twenty years ago, though). It's not as bad as people make it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Why should any country be expected to use a language that is not their own for the simple convenience of those who are visiting? You've got it completely backwards. If anything you should learn abit of the culture and language of any country you want to visit. It's called being respectful ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    WoW was the first MMO.

And invented the fantasy genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Not many people know that Tolkien was born just outside Goldshire, and EverQuest was originally a bugged quest line from Mankirk's wife that required you to go in endless loops up and down the Barrens.

Around tourist area you won't have any problem, just speak slowly and try to avoid american slang, most peoples outside the circle of those working with tourists learn english (uk version) in school and didn't have a chance to use it for years so their accent maybe funny or clunky.

Just to point out one thing, in italy english is now a mandatory course since kindergarten school so most of us learn it since childhood (especially young generations) it's just peoples not using it for years on a daily basis that lead not being fluent or making lot of errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.