Thread: The Boys

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Whats not to love about a comic that takes pot shots at both DC and Marvel characters. The Homelander is Superman who is slowly realising that he is practically a god and the rules dont matter. There is an analogue for every superhero, The Severn are the Justice League, Payback are the Avengers, The G-men are the X-men. Every hero is motivated by money,drugs,sex and how famous they are.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Probably more for technical reasons than anything else as making a baby explode out of a mothers chest and fly around the room is probably going to eat an entire seasons worth of CGI budget to make look even remotely realistic.
    Maybe but, holy shit, how glorious would it be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Am I wrong, though? Try hard edgy was bad in the 90s, it was bad in the 00s and it is bad now.
    To be fair, this is based on a comic by Garth Ennis, who does actually write shit like that pretty well and has been doing it for a while. He cut his teeth in the late 80s/early 90s writing for Judge Dredd, before moving on to one of the best Punisher runs, as well as Preacher (which is currently a series on Amazon).

So while generally I agree that the current "Err Meh GERD, my name is Grimdark Edgelord!" stuff is usually pretty shit, I have high hopes for The Boys.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'm very much looking forward to this, just a shame they left it so long and Simon Pegg is too old to play Wee Hughie. Still, it would be pretty wicked if they managed to get Stan Lee to play The Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'm very much looking forward to this, just a shame they left it so long and Simon Pegg is too old to play Wee Hughie. Still, it would be pretty wicked if they managed to get Stan Lee to play The Legend.
    Simon Pegg would still be perfect IMO

It's got Karl Urban, so that's a reason for me to watch it right there, and it's not on Fox, so it might actually get a few seasons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Whats not to love about a comic that takes pot shots at both DC and Marvel characters. The Homelander is Superman who is slowly realising that he is practically a god and the rules dont matter. There is an analogue for every superhero, The Severn are the Justice League, Payback are the Avengers, The G-men are the X-men. Every hero is motivated by money,drugs,sex and how famous they are.
    I really liked the Herogasmn as a "take that" for all the crossovers, just one big orgy on a island in the nowhere with a fuckton of drugs and whores.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    To be fair, this is based on a comic by Garth Ennis, who does actually write shit like that pretty well and has been doing it for a while. He cut his teeth in the late 80s/early 90s writing for Judge Dredd, before moving on to one of the best Punisher runs, as well as Preacher (which is currently a series on Amazon).

So while generally I agree that the current "Err Meh GERD, my name is Grimdark Edgelord!" stuff is usually pretty shit, I have high hopes for The Boys.
    Let´s not forget he also wrote Spidy for a time though i´m not shure which of the many series he wrote for.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was TV series called Powers that had simmilar concept, washed out superheroes and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    There was TV series called Powers that had simmilar concept, washed out superheroes and shit.
    Not the same concept. The superheroes in The Boys aren't washed out-they're actually mega celebrities, with all the sex, drugs, and partying that comes from being a mega celeb. They are not especially competent, but they have agents and PR teams and big money corporate backers to cover shit up and keep them looking clean and wholesome to the public at large.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Not the same concept. The superheroes in The Boys aren't washed out-they're actually mega celebrities, with all the sex, drugs, and partying that comes from being a mega celeb. They are not especially competent, but they have agents and PR teams and big money corporate backers to cover shit up and keep them looking clean and wholesome to the public at large.
    Yeah all the comics we read is just the shit they´re doing edited to make them look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So boring edgelord stuff.
    Okay we get it, you drank a whole case of hater-aid

So Mystery Men. It was so compelling the first time around...
    <hard facepalm> Christ, just go away. No worries, there are tard shows for folks like you to enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Let´s not forget he also wrote Spidy for a time though i´m not shure which of the many series he wrote for.
    He's been in the business for over 3 decades, he's written SHITLOADS of comics, the ones I mentioned were just the ones I felt were most pertinent to the conversation.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

... why do people call everything that's not bog standard, by the numbers, good guy vs bad guy stuff "edgy" these days? The Boys is Rock n Roll, not edgy.

The Boys is a good, funny and well written comic. With it being on Amazon, I can see it going for accuracy and high levels of violence.

With shows like Preacher, American Gods and Happy garnering large fan bases, I can't see it getting chopped up much really. Sex and violence sells when done right and it doesn't have to be as edgy as people that throw the word edgy around all the time.

So Mystery Men. It was so compelling the first time around...
    No, not Mystery Men. Not even close. Have you ever considered NOT looking stupid, perhaps by refraining from talking about stuff that you are clearly 100% totally fucking clueless about? Consider it man, it'd be a nice change of pace for you.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2018-06-08 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    ... why do people call everything that's not bog standard, by the numbers, good guy vs bad guy stuff "edgy" these days? The Boys is Rock n Roll, not edgy.
    Edgy is actually a pretty good term for The Boys and Ennis's stuff in general, you just have to remember it had a meaning before the internet tried to destroy it with excess sarcasm.

Deleted
    Sounds like Amazon needed a filler show.

That’s actually the premise for the Mystery Men world... have you ever considered thinking before you hurl personal insults?
    They are not remotely similar. As I said previously, if you stop speaking on subjects you know nothing about it will keep you from looking stupid. Seriously, try it, it might be fun. a nice change of pace for you maybe.

Right, Mystery Men is Nothing like this.
    Correct. Glad you got there in the end,

Looks like a good idea, will be hard to pull off and get past censors but gl gl. I'll watch it if it turns out good

Trolling isn't allowed. You cannot edit responses to annoy people. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2018-06-09 at 03:58 AM.

Some great moderation there falthemer. A guy can come into the thread saying the idea looks crap and compares it to a ridiculously different film and I get the infraction. Typical MMO champ behavior.