Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why not Warcraft tv series?

I just dont get it? is there good director/show runner/ companies like HBO or something had any idea of doing a tv series of the Warcraft franchise with Blizzard getting involve obviously. Here is my idea of how the seasons goes on:

SEASON 1 (20 episodes):

The first season starts with the Warcraft III human campaign with Arthas being the main protagnist as a paladin. Then mid season finale (the 10th episode) will be the moment when Arthas finally find Frostmourne for the first time in Northrend. The second half of the season will be about Arthas being the death knight and it goes faithful exactly like the game. The finale episode 20 will be the moment Arthas wears the helm of Domination and becomes the Lich King. End of season 1.

SEASON 2 (20 episodes):

It will be about Classic WoW for the first like 5 episodes then the rest of the episodes will be about the Dark Portal and TBC expansion with a better storytelling than TBC (because that expansion sucks ass when it comes to lore and story). Further explaination of why Kael'thas joined the burning legion and fleshing out Illidan more than what we got in TBC. Have an episode of Thrall going to Nagrand the first time discovering his true heritage and his real name with meeting Garrosh the first time.

SEASON 3 (20 episodes):

The third season involve the campaign of Northrend and the Wotlk expansion with the start of the first episode is about Thrall and Garrosh duel then it get interrupted by the Lich King minions. First half of the season will involve KT but more about Yogg saron in Ulduar and the mid season finale will be the end of Yogg. Second half will involve heavily about the Lich King and Icecrown.

I think ending the tv series with the end of Wotlk will be a perfect ending just my personal opinion. About actors I cant think of any yet except maybe Henry Cavill (the super man actor and Geralt from the witcher netflix series) to play the character of king Varian Wrynn.

It is just wishful thinking I know...but come on why not...

3+ Year Old Account
    It would probably be too much of an investment, especially with that many episodes per season. Warcraft, as an IP, simply doesn't have the influence it once did, particularly in the West. The movie was fairly heavily advertised, and despite that, it only really did okay because of China. They'd likely have to cut a LOT of corners in order for it to have any chance, and at that point, why even bother?

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie didn't go too well, so I don't think there is all that much enthusiasm for more Warcraft, movie or TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I personally do not like how modern Western shows are serials with 1+ hour long episodes that go on for 20+ episodes. Brevity has become a lost art it seems.

As for Warcraft on screen, I would rather get brand new, original stories created for screen first. I don't want to see the plot of games I have already played twisted into a movie or a show.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, given the abysmal writing of modern Western shows, be it the Star Wars shows or nu Star Trek or the Halo show or the LotR show or Wheel of Time, I wouldn't hold my breath about a Warcraft show being good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the vast majority of the Warcraft story is not actually very good, looking at it from an outside perspective. It also holds basically no interest for people who don't play the game - it's not a far-reaching IP.

Also lol @ the Henry Cavill suggestion. I thought people wanted him to be Arthas, now he's going to be Varian too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    As for Warcraft on screen, I would rather get brand new, original stories created for screen first. I don't want to see the plot of games I have already played twisted into a movie or a show.
    And don't forget that most of the Warcraft stories are ripped from other IPs in the first place. Recycled stories work in video games because you're playing through them and it's a different experience. Watching those recycled stories in a movie is always glaringly obvious.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Another day another thread of people thinking the Warcraft movie was better than it actually was

Yea better give it to netflix so they can slaughter it like witcher

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Another day another thread of people thinking the Warcraft movie was better than it actually was
    I am talking about tv series not the movie here. Big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I am talking about tv series not the movie here. Big difference.
    The movie was bad largely because the iconic art-style and story translates very poorly to the screen. There's a reason that the better parts of the movie where the fully CG ones.

Warcraft writing thrives on being broad and shallow, vague enough to handwave away the need for explanations, and with comedy that largely comes from extensive pop culture references. That's fine when there's a fun game attached that you're playing, and the story is largely secondary. It's not fine when you isolate it and make it the focal point.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2023-07-21 at 07:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The movie was bad largely because the iconic art-style and story translates very poorly to the screen. There's a reason that the better parts of the movie where the fully CG ones.

Why not make it animated series then like arcane for example? My idea is that it doesnt have to be live action with real actors it can be animated and will still be great just like arcane and Castlevania I guess?

After what happened to The Witcher I don’t think a Warcraft show will do any better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Why not make it animated series then like arcane for example? My idea is that it doesnt have to be live action with real actors it can be animated and will still be great just like arcane and Castlevania I guess?
    Making it animated won't fix the writing, and Castlevania shouldn't really be held up as any kind of standard considering how hard it fell off.

Arcane works (apart from the very good animation) because it didn't have to follow a preset (mediocre) storyline. It was able to write the storyline and establish a enw canon in whatever way made for the best and most dramatic show. Warcraft doesn't have that luxury, because the stories have already been written and would only be being adapted.

Warcraft is chained to its established story, for better or worse.

I think much better idea for Warcraft tv show would be to have just an episodic adventure show. Each episode the team would go on another adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    I think much better idea for Warcraft tv show would be to have just an episodic adventure show. Each episode the team would go on another adventure.
    Season 2, Episode 4: Collect 20 bear asses.

I dig it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could make it work by setting an adventuring group in the world, affected by the larger events but not playing a direct role in them. Even that though would be unlikely to be worth making, and would likely just come off as bland fanfiction.

The Warcraft world just doesn't have any real pull for people who haven't played the game, and it doesn't even interest a lot of those people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Making it animated won't fix the writing, and Castlevania shouldn't really be held up as any kind of standard considering how hard it fell off.

Arcane works (apart from the very good animation) because it didn't have to follow a preset (mediocre) storyline. It was able to write the storyline and establish a enw canon in whatever way made for the best and most dramatic show. Warcraft doesn't have that luxury, because the stories have already been written and would only be being adapted.

Warcraft is chained to its established story, for better or worse.
    Castlevania didnt fell off at all. Yes the third season was kinda weak but still season 4 was perfect and the series ended with a bang top notch. What is wrong with some people taste seriously I cant imagine someone think bad of Castlevania netflix series at all..

Only the first 3 episodes of Arcane were barely tolerable as an overly long movie, and then after that it fell off hard as the story meandered with too many fluff scenes that didn't advance the story and opened too many subplots that would not be resolved by the end. The inciting event doesn't happen until the very end of the first season, after 9+ hours of show, and everyone except fuzzy Mekkatorque was unlikeable. And the less spoken about Castlevania, the better.

I’m waiting for the episode where our valiant adventurers travel to an exotic wilderness and clean up some poop.

5+ Year Old Account
    @Velshin

I can think of a couple of reasons why they won't:

1) A Warcraft tv show as you just described it would be extremely expensive to make, the amount of CGI required to make it work would be ridiculous.

2) The Warcraft movie was a disappointment in terms of profits. This is possibly the biggest reason why nobody is willing to invest a tremendous amount of money into a Warcraft series.

3) The Warcraft IP is not nearly as popular in 2023 as it was in 2010. If there ever was a time to do this, it was 10 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way too expensive because of heavy need for CGI and the story is not good enough with little interest in it to justify the costs.

The only game right now I think would translate well into a TV show is Cyberpunk 2077.