Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have been to tokyo last year and it was a little worse than expected. Our Taxi driver did not understand english.
    Also at the subway or at the trainstation almost everything was written in japanese...
    For some reason I thought everything would be written in japanese and english(e.g. like they do in korea) since Tokyo is such a big intrenational city but that was mostly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Most Japanese can barely speak/understand English despite having been taught English for 7 years, it's not really their fault though since the way they are taught is wrong.

That being said, unless you actually really want to talk a lot with people there is no real issue I've spent 6-7 months in Japan without being able to speak Japanese and I have been able to do whatever I wanted to just fine.
    How are they taught?

You will have an amazing time as tourist in Japan! Enjoy!

also:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Bymm7b9
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    The wrong way.. basically they aren't taught communicative English - they focus on grammar and such which is useless.
    This is also how the Japanese teach Japanese, a heavy focus on grammar and learning difficult characters from the get-go which makes it very hard to learn while you are here.

You'll be fine. Even if most don't speak English, it doesn't matter a lot because Tokyo is really orderly and, from what I remember from my own trip, a lot of stuff like public transport and popular tourist spots have available information in English somewhere.

You've even got a bunch of little bonuses like restaurants with pictures/models of food to make your life easier. And from what I saw, tourists in Tokyo are neither unexpected nor unwelcome, as long as you're putting the effort in to be a good guest.

Obviously you should do some homework on how stuff like public transport works and where you can get information in English before you go, but my experience was that it was a surprisingly easy country to get around in despite the language barrier. At least in Tokyo/Kyoto/Hiroshima, that is.

I'd also recommend keeping a map and a phasebook on you. My trip was just before smartphones started making that easy, so I don't have app recommendations, but having those tools is a great safety net.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2018-06-08 at 09:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in Tokyo twice and yes English there is pretty bad, but nothing you can't Google or gesture your way out of.

Now, if you step out of Tokyo, to let's say Hakone which is a nice place to visit which is close with overnight stay or some other resort, then there is truly no English there, so I had to gather all my anime knowledge to converse in undoubtedly funny way with locals. Like I came to Hakone late evening and needed directions to ryokan I ordered and there was a bus stop and luckily there was some local guy and we somehow made it using basic basic Japanese.

There are some videos on YouTube that point out the cultural differences and norms in Japan, like how to use escalators or queue in lines. They might be worth a look at.

Google translate is great, sometimes people will even pull out their phones so you can have a conversation translating to each other, younger people anyways.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Going to Tokyo in September with a friend for two weeks.

I've heard different versions about the Japanese and their English skills. I read on the internet that they are baaaaaaad at English, and that you have no choice but to go by sign language and gestures, while a girl I met up on a date a few days back said that she managed just fine with English during her stay in Tokyo.

Who do I trust? Are we gonna be fine? I understand that English is a no-go on the countryside, but as it's planned now we are staying in Tokyo for the full two weeks, and since it's such a big metropolitan I guess it's closer to what the girl said, that they know English, although maybe not at an advanced level?
    Attempt to try to speak Japanese, and you will find people who speak English more receptive toward you. If you except people to speak your language in a foreign country you will come off as an arrogant American. You wouldn't like a Japanese person coming up to you in American expecting you to speak Japanese would you?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Attempt to try to speak Japanese, and you will find people who speak English more receptive toward you. If you except people to speak your language in a foreign country you will come off as an arrogant American. You wouldn't like a Japanese person coming up to you in American expecting you to speak Japanese would you?
    I'm not even American

And like I said, I always learn basic phrases to start out conversation in their own language, that's just being respectful. Like "hi, how are you?", "Do you speak English?", "Point me towards the bus station" etc. So yes, I will learn some Japanese.

However, it would be impossible to learn each and every language in the world you travel to, and that's the beautiful thing about a lingua franca. I honestly never understood the idea that somehow a lingua franca, that binds people together when not speaking the language, is a bad thing. Being able to talk to more people is a good thing, at least in my eyes. IMO we should aim for one language to be universally understood. Not natively, but something you can use everywhere in the world. Don't see anything wrong with that.

It's not like I go "Hurrdurr, you no sprek English? You are an idiot and you need to reconsider your life choices.". I do however do some research on people's skills with certain languages, as that allows for easier communication rather than having to do a 2 year university course for the language in every country you plan to visit.

Has nothing to do with arrogance.

I usually try to learn at least how to ask them "Do you speak English ?" in their own language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    There are some videos on YouTube that point out the cultural differences and norms in Japan, like how to use escalators or queue in lines. They might be worth a look at.
    I don't think there is any need to over-engineer it, really. Things like quoted you will pick on pretty quickly anyway. For example my first visit I had no clue about that escalator thing, but when I seen everyone line up like that - it was obvious that you should do too. Same with not plastering yourself on a train door from outside before it opens - let others get out and then go in. Basically, obvious stuff really.

Just be straight as an arrow and don't do shit you would not do when invited to dinner to your GF's parents, for example and you would be fine.

Yes, you will inevitably mess up, but overall people have understanding there that you are just a dumb gaijin clueless about how things are done and will give you a benefit of the doubt and honestly, you won't mess up hard if you behave, it will just be minor cultural difference things that people will understand.

One last tip - no need to try to emulate Japanese ways of doing shit, you are a foreigner and that's how it is - just be nice and respectable and enjoy your vacation instead of desperately trying to navigate imaginary minefields you created in your head.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-06-08 at 12:14 PM.

I haven't been so plenty of people in here are much better qualified to give advice, but I'm going to give it anyway...

From what I've heard, depends where you are, but I think in major cities where there's a large foreign community you can easily get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    He spelled it "existant." And I only pointed it out because the way he phrased it seemed like he expected Japanese people to speak English at "acceptable" levels, and yet he misspelled a word. So learn to read properly and learn to understand context.

But whatever the case, it was just odd phrasing that I was sensitive to, and good on OP for traveling to different countries.
    God your hostile the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Wait, they have official rules about the slow and fast lanes?

We have those in Melbourne unofficially. Drives me nuts when people don't know about the lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Whatever you do, don't speak like they do in Anime.

You'll be fine during your trip. In the Kanto region of Japan (where Tokyo, Yokohama and the surrounding cities are located), most train station and highway exit signs have both the Japanese and English names on them. Japanese learn some form of basic conversational English starting in Junior High, but most don't retain it after leaving school. It's not a show-stopper. You'll go and you'll have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Wait, they have official rules about the slow and fast lanes?
    It's not official as in law, but most stairs, escalators, etc. at train stations are labeled for up/down or stand/walk. And there's usually also markings where the train doors are going to be, so you can queue up nicely. Trust me, when there's a million people coming through each day (or 3.64 million, as in Shinjuku station) you'll be grateful things are organized.

But nobody will rip your head off if you get things wrong, particularly as a foreigner. I've been living in Tokyo for years and never had a single incidence were people weren't courteous or friendly to the utmost.

That being said, the best way to approach things is to assume people will know literally NO English. Not 'a little', not 'maybe just the simple things', literally nothing. In fact, many people will simply freeze up in confusion if you try. EXCEPTION: anyone who's acting in an official capacity. Security guards, station personnel, museum employees, police and so on usually don't speak any real English either, but they'll at least try to help in some way.

Not that you really need anyone to help you, at least in Tokyo. Everything is labeled, signs in English or at least Latin alphabet are everywhere. Navigating the Tokyo public transport system is an absolute breeze even without one lick of Japanese. The further away from big cities you get the more difficult that becomes, but if you stay within Tokyo-Yokohama-Chiba and the immediate vicinity (e.g. Kamakura is also totally fine) it will not be a problem at all.

Where people have the most trouble is usually restaurants, as that can be hit and miss. Some restaurants have pictures and/or wax model showcases with at least some of the dishes, but if you go into e.g. a Japanese izakaya you'll very quickly find hand-written menus with zero pictures and zero Latin alphabet. They'll try and explain as best they can, of course. Still, it's something to keep in mind. A lot of the more mainstream shops (franchises especially) have also been adopting English menus more and more, which are available on request (or will be offered to obvious foreigners); but this will often vary with location (tourist hubs are more likely to have them). Yelp is a thing in Japan, too, and can be helpful with selections, often mentioning in comments whether English menus are available.

If you're planning to just do "the tourist things", you'll find things incredibly easy and convenient. The more off course you go the less clear things become, but it's pretty hard to get genuinely lost in Tokyo. And English or not, everyone will try and help you, and everyone will be super nice and polite to you. There's really not much to worry about, Tokyo is probably among the safest spots in the world for a foreign tourist, in every sense of the word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Not that you really need anyone to help you, at least in Tokyo. Everything is labeled, signs in English or at least Latin alphabet are everywhere. Navigating the Tokyo public transport system is an absolute breeze even without one lick of Japanese.
    Well to be honest first like 2 times I was in Shibuya station it was a labyrinth to me, until I got used to it.

Speaking about public transportation - google maps rock, you get exact directions and trains to pick and when to change and which ticket to buy etc etc - essential.

As a whole, trains are essential there. Taxis are super expensive - merely entering one is 8 bucks already and the meter is ticking fast, so that's last resort thing or when you simply can't be arsed to take trains, which can be at times overcrowded as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Speaking about public transportation - google maps rock, you get exact directions and trains to pick and when to change and which ticket to buy etc etc - essential.
    Google Maps is certainly very useful, but for trains I prefer Jorudan. I'm sure they also have an app for people who like apps, I just use the web interface. It's been my bread and butter for everything transportation, and is extremely reliable. It includes not just subway trains and buses, but also Shinkansen bullet trains, and even airplanes (try it out, you can get a route to say Okinawa no problem).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Taxis are super expensive - merely entering one is 8 bucks already and the meter is ticking fast, so that's last resort thing or when you simply can't be arsed to take trains, which can be at times overcrowded as fuck.
    Most Taxis I've seen aren't 8 bucks to start, but like ~450ish Yen minimum fare (which is more like 4 bucks). That being said, they certainly aren't inexpensive, largely because the traffic in Tokyo is a nightmare, so things take super long and the meter ticks up. I use taxis only when it's a ridiculous upgrade in convenience, like e.g. when I have no idea whatsoever where my destination is, or it's 15+ minutes to walk from the station and it's pouring outside, that sort of thing. Regular use of taxis is definitely not something that you should get into the habit of. Unless cash isn't a concern for you, of course, in which case they're an extremely comfortable way to get around; forget the grimy NYC cab driver image, taxis in Japan means doilies, gloves and uniform, they even have automatic door openers so you don't need to bother yourself.

Crowded trains are a reality you have to accept at certain hours, primarily 0700~0930h, 1700~1900h, and 2100h~2230h, or thereabouts, which is when people go to work, return from work, and return from the after-work drinking, respectively. It also varies with lines, but expect to be literally squeezed in at times. It sounds very uncomfortable to Western sensibilities, but honestly I've never been all too bothered by it. You can't compare crowds in Japan to crowds in other countries. In Europe, I see 5 people in one spot, I go the other way; here, I'll happily float in a sea of 200 bodies, relaxed and secure in the knowledge that everyone is fine with what's going on and nothing will go wrong. 安心, in Japanese. It's kind of weird, and maybe an acquired taste.

Speaking of trains, they tend to stop running around midnight/1am (depending on which line and where you're at) so if you're out late make absolutely sure to know when your last train is leaving (it's called 終電 shūden, "end train") so you can get home. I happened to miss that once (by like 20 seconds -_-) and had to take a cab home, which ran me about $70. Easily avoided with proper planning, and since it's a concern for everyone, it's normal for parties to break up before that time, too. Or keep going until like 4-5am when trains start running again.

hmf...I wouldn't think Tokyo would be difficult. Biggest city there. The outlying provinces though would probably be problematic.