Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Man it seems soon for another reboot of this. I didn't really like the Depp version, but I grew up on Wilder so whatever. Was the part about his dad being a dentist from the book?

Donald Glover would be a MUCH better Wonka than Ryan Gosling.

Gosling doesn't have that comedic vibe about him. He's more of a dry humor kinda guy, to me at least.

You could cast a paraplegic as Wonka and I wouldn't care because reboots suck 90% of the time (made up stat for emphasis). But if this is going to be an "origin" story... good luck, bro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    I mean, even the Johnny Depp version changed the character to be something slightly unrecognizable compared to the original film, but it worked for the style of the movie.

So, i'm more interested to see what direction Donald would take the character more than anything else.
    I fucking hate how Depp acts these days. He was amazing in his earlier works then ... Pirates of the Carribean happened and now every character is some modified version of Jack Sparrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hollywood is truly out of idea arn't they. Sad.

If you're basing a movie on a book then you should stay true to the source material.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yet the only time we see bitching on the internet is when a white person is replaced by a minority or a woman... and when it is the other way around you don't see much outrage because most white internet people just don't give a shit about that.
    Do you have your blinds down? Ghost in the shell? Do you remember what happened there?

If Richard Pryor were alive and well, he would be great at a part like this.

Should keep Johnny Depp.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Fuck yeah. Damn. Such a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    I fucking hate how Depp acts these days. He was amazing in his earlier works then ... Pirates of the Carribean happened and now every character is some modified version of Jack Sparrow.
    Yeah, that was pretty much how I felt about his portrayal.

Can I see Glover as Wonka, for sure and I think he'd do a good to great job at it. But do I really want another Wonka movie? No.

Depp, was poor as Wonka, and Burton shit all over it with his overt daddy issue BS. So if Burton is behind this as well I don't care who plays Wonka it will be pretty trash. The worst part about them attempting to toy with this series is the original was perfect. You could just re-release it and probably make more money with less over head. It is a film that holds up well and is a defining moment in Wilder's career.

I hope Glover declines this, because I think it is going to be a trash project and I don't want to see him attached to that kind of shit while he's really paving his own path pretty damn well. Even Solo he's flawless and one of the only bright spots in the movie, he doesn't need to take the easy Hollywood path. I'd like to see him write and direct a new movie instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Nah, Pryor doesn't fit this. He doesn't have enough weird factor in him. Goofy for sure, but not really weird. Wonka needs a weird vibe to make him right. I can't buy Pryor as a shut in chocolatier with umpa lumpas. He's too much the dude I'd run into at the bar vibe. Kind of like Wilder in his more normal roles or plain characters, it just doesn't sell as well.

personal opinion of course.

I heard that the main role in Blazing Saddles was supposed to be Richard Pryor but the studio execs were too fed up with his behavior by that point.

Man, that part in the original Wonka where he trips and does the summersault...so perfect. I was really sad when Gene Wilder died.
    Last edited by 33kamous3; 2018-06-08 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Look at the uproar about all the comics.
    What about it? Both sides freak out over every change which was the point of my response to you stating nobody complains or makes a big deal the other direction. Its almost like people just want things left alone. As for comics sales they are in the toilet so apparently they are not being made for anyone to enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just what we need, a laid back, perpetually high, completely monotone portrayal of a wildly eccentric and enthusiastic character. At least I won't have to waste my time streaming it, since Mr. Glover's range is terrible and that movie will end up just the same.

Racists on both ends of the spectrum latch on to the dumbest shit to argue over.

The Depp remake was bad enough. Please leave the corpse of the original alone, and find something else to trash in the name of inclusiveness.

I just can't see him as Willy Wonka.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post

Pacino and DeNiro are arguably guilty of the same thing. Not sure if its an income / role security thing, or what.

So will Willy Wonka then canonicly be a Wink? Winky Wonka?
    Last edited by Diggsworth; 2018-06-08 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typing on a phone is hard
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I don't taste very good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    If you're basing a movie on a book then you should stay true to the source material.
    Haven't read it in a while but I dont think the Roald Dahl novel makes any claim to his race or to the time period the story is set. In other words there is no reason as to why Wonka couldn't be any race, despite of course that the two previous (completely unrelated) films used white actors.

Also, this is a rubbish argument because how 'true' is true enough? Can a movie ever be a true adaptation if it is not a word for word copy? Trust me, that would be the making of truly AWFUL films.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The Depp remake was bad enough. Please leave the corpse of the original alone, and find something else to trash in the name of inclusiveness.

The original what?

Fictional character where race isn't a part the story. Fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Donald Glover as Willy Wonka? Really? I just can't see it, has Glover ever done anything even remotely inline of Willy Wonka?
    All of Derek Comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it could work.