Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Horde Computer Build 1080 or 1440

Hi everyone,

I want to come back to WoW's realms and I'm looking for some help to choose the right parts of my new PC.

What I'm looking for is a decent PC to play WoW for a couple of years. What I don't know is the difference/benefit between 1080p and 1440p. Is it worth for an old game like WoW?

Here is what I've found on forums :

Budget : 1000€
    Resolution : 1080 or 1440
    Games : I mainly play WoW and sometimes to other blizzard's games in casual mode.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do : I could use it to do some web development (Javascript mainly, but maybe Java).
    Parts that can be reused : I've nothing left
    Do you need an OS : Yes, windows 10 I guess ?
    Do you need peripherals : I need everything but peripherals are not to be included in my budget, I would just like to have your point of view. Especially in LCD monitor choices.

For what I've red on the web, some guys say that i3 8100 + GTX 1050ti + B360 is more than OK to play WoW in ultra with enough FPS, and some others are saying that i5 8400/8600 + GTX 1060 6G + Z370 is required.

I've no clue of what I need in RAM capacity/frequency and power supplying.
    I do not need a fancy computer box but just something sober and quiet.

Thanks guys!

Deleted
    Check this site (it is in Dutch, but that doesn't matter): https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/870...wqhd-2560x1440. They tested BfA on a lot of different cards and on different resolutions. The main conclusion is that the resolution barely has impact on the performance. Also it confirms that the the game is highly bottlenecked by the CPU you use. higher MHz = better framerates in WoW. I run everything maxed on my rig (see sig), but even I get 30-ish fps at times in high pop areas. This can be solved however by turning down stuff a little for almost no quality loss.

For the resolution, I went from 1080p to 1440p and I have zero regrets. The extra (sharp) screen space is so nice.
    Generally 16GB of RAM will be enough. The frequency does not have much impact and after 3200 it barely has any effect at all for Intel. Ryzen does benefit more from faster RAM.
    PSU wise, generally 400-450 watts from a good brand (brand is important) is enough provided you don't overclock or use very power hungry hardware. Motherboard, don't bother with Z-series if you don't intend to overclock. Same with the CPU, don't bother with the K types in this case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyandor View Post

For the resolution, I went from 1080p to 1440p and I have zero regrets. The extra (sharp) screen space is so nice.
    Generally 16GB of RAM will be enough. The frequency does not have much impact and after 3200 it barely has any effect at all for Intel. Ryzen does benefit more from faster RAM.
    PSU wise, generally 400-450 watts from a good brand (brand is important) is enough provided you don't overclock or use very power hungry hardware. Motherboard, don't bother with Z-series if you don't intend to overclock. Same with the CPU, don't bother with the K types in this case.
    Thanks. I don't intend to overclock but I also don't know if I should / when I should overclock my stuff.

Should I take a B360 motherboard if Z370 is not required ?
    Do you have a good PSU brand to advice me ?

Which monitor for WQHD with good quality/price ? What about G-sync ? Is it something worth it ?

Also I'm willing to pay a little bit more if it allow me to be able to upgrade my config instead of building a new one again in the futur.

Deleted
    Thanks for your reply.

So far u told me :
    - 16Go RAM, but is 2400 MHz enough or I should target 3000/3200 ?
    - 400-450W PSU (80+ B, G ?)
    - GTX 1060 6Go might be a good option ?
    - MOBO H370M might be a good option ?

Should I go for an I5 8600 ?

Do you have some recommandation about a sobre and quiet computer case ?

Maybe 1440p is too expensive for me right now, it seems to require very high config, doesn't it ?
    Last edited by mmoc3eddebb086; 2018-10-05 at 11:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1440p will be too expensive right now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600 3.1GHz 6-Core Processor (€304.90 @ LDLC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€79.90 @ Cdiscount)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€152.89 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€47.81 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card (€284.90 @ LDLC)
    Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (€62.95 @ Amazon France)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.50 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €1012.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 13:58 CEST+0200

This should do the job nicely enough for you.
    Don't buy windows you can use a free version of Microsofts own homepage until you have the extra money at link.
    Get an SSD as soon you have extra money. I recommend the following:

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€81.92 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €81.92
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 14:00 CEST+0200

Now for peripherals:

I have included a 1080p 144hz monitor. I personally have this monitor, while slightly expensive, it is really good.
    Rest is standard Logitech stuff. I am not a professional in the area, but all my stuff usually last 6+ years so take it with a large grain of salt.

Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG248Q 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor (€467.90 @ LDLC)
    Keyboard: Logitech - G213 PRODIGY Wired Gaming Keyboard (€94.23 @ Amazon France)
    Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse (€51.00 @ Amazon France)
    Headphones: Logitech - G230 Headset (€75.18 @ Amazon France)
    Speakers: Logitech - Z200 0W 2ch Speakers (€38.90 @ LDLC)
    Total: €727.21
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 14:07 CEST+0200
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (€208.96 @ Amazon France)
    Motherboard: MSI - B360-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€90.12 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€155.89 @ Alternate)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€39.12 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€47.81 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card (€284.90 @ LDLC)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (€44.90 @ Amazon France)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.99 @ Cdiscount)
    Total: €961.69
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 14:16 CEST+0200
    Should handle 1080p for the next long while.

As for the build in the post above me: 8600 and 8400 perform about the same. If you want a better CPU, get an 8600k and a Z-series board and OC it.
    I wouldn't recommend an m.2 NVMe SSD at the moment, it's not worth the price premium when you're on a budget. They have way higher throughput, but in real-world performance they're about the same as standard 2.5" SATA SSD's
    I also wouldn't recommend getting the HDD first, since it'll just be needlessly slow.

As for periphirals:

Monitor: AOC - G2460PG 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (€396.90 @ LDLC)
    Keyboard: Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard (€43.96 @ Amazon France)
    Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wired Optical Mouse (€89.33 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €530.19
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 14:22 CEST+0200

Monitor's 144hz and G-sync. It won't be super pretty to look at, but it'll get the job done.
    Keyboard's mechanical and should last you a while (if you don't mind the 1-colour backlight). Otherwise go for a Corsair/logitech mechanical board
    Mouse is Logitech, so can't complain there.
    Not going to recommend a headset, because I'm really not comfortable in the budget-midrange market section there.

Deleted
    Thanks you guys.

So right now I've to choose between 8400 and 8600 CPU with the EVGA GTX 1060 6Go GPU.

About memory, Saphyron choose DDR4-3000 and Temp_name DDR4-2400 but the price look the same. Any explanation ?

Someone told me that I should buy an Z-series MOBO if I intend to upgrade my config in a few years. What do you think about the Z-series over the B/H ones ? What make you choose between two MOBO ?

Thanks both of you for the peripherals advice. Both your monitors are a little bit too expensive for me, but the Asus ROG looks nice..

I've red that EVGA is a great brand for PSU so I think I'll take the SuperNova G3 550w. But what about the case choice ? What make you choose one or another ? Maybe you could give me some feedback of your own experience.

And for storage I want a 240SDD + 1THDD. My budget is a little bit flexible.

Deleted
    Is there something wrong with the price of the 2X8Go DDR4-2400 ? Same as the DDR4-3000 of Saphyron's PCPP config.

What make you choose B360 over H370 or Z370 except price ? Is it enough for what I need ?

And I'm curious how do you choose your case ? What do you look for ?

Edit: regarding the price of g-sync monitors, I'll buy a simple FHP 24" monitor around 75Hz.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc3eddebb086; 2018-10-05 at 01:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alternative build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (€179.99 @ Cdiscount)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€113.90 @ LDLC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€157.89 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€39.12 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS XXX ED Video Card (€255.00 @ Amazon France)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€76.90 @ LDLC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.50 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €950.11
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 16:48 CEST+0200

Pricing for Intel CPU's is ridiculous in Europe right now, but if you can actually get that i5-8400 at ~200€ (not such a terrible price tbh) it's probably worth it over my AMD option since you're just playing WoW.

Chose an RX580 over a GTX 1060 because the performance loss in WoW is apparently just a few FPS and you'll have many more options with freesync monitors. Since you said you don't want to pay the price for a G-sync monitor and having no adaptive sync at all is just simply the worst option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoka View Post
    Is there something wrong with the price of the 2X8Go DDR4-2400 ? Same as the DDR4-3000 of Saphyron's PCPP config.
    RAM prices are random half the time, or at least seem so. I probably just clicked on the wrong one on pcpartpicker.
    What make you choose B360 over H370 or Z370 except price ? Is it enough for what I need ?
    You don't want a Z370 unless you have a K series chip, or you find a good sale.
    As for B360 over H370, it's really just price and, in my mind, worth the loss of features. MOBO really doesn't matter as long as it's the right socket and has the features you want. If you want to OC though, grab something with good VRMs
    And I'm curious how do you choose your case ? What do you look for ?
    One that you like the look of that'll fit your hardware.
    Most are big black boxes with a window nowadays, at least in the budget price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

Pricing for Intel CPU's is ridiculous in Europe right now, but if you can actually get that i5-8400 at ~200€ (not such a terrible price tbh) it's probably worth it over my AMD option since you're just playing WoW.
    Agree they are really ridiculous at the moment.
    Since you said you don't want to pay the price for a G-sync monitor and having no adaptive sync at all is just simply the worst option.
    Is it really that bad? I'm using a monitor at the moment without G-sync but I don't know if I'm missing really much because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by merli View Post
    Is it really that bad? I'm using a monitor at the moment without G-sync but I don't know if I'm missing really much because of that.
    It depends on you really. I have friends who really struggle to see even a hint of screen tearing in a situation where it's clear as day to me. Some people might not be bothered by tearing even if they notice it although that combination is probably more rare...

Adaptive sync is generally the most beneficial the lower your FPS is. You'll still get screen tearing at 110fps on a 144hz monitor, but it's much less noticeable than screen tearing at 35 fps on a 144Hz monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    It depends on you really. I have friends who really struggle to see even a hint of screen tearing in a situation where it's clear as day to me. Some people might not be bothered by tearing even if they notice it although that combination is probably more rare...

Adaptive sync is generally the most beneficial the lower your FPS is. You'll still get screen tearing at 110fps on a 144hz monitor, but it's much less noticeable than screen tearing at 35 fps on a 144Hz monitor.
    I do notice screen tearing but most of the time when I see it I activate vsync. Haven't really noticed the delay with vsync. The bad mouse movement in some console games are much worse. Feels like the mouse is lagging behind.

Deleted
    Here is what I'm about to buy :

"pcpartpicker.com/list/DjbfD2" (I'm not allowed to post links)

Remember that I will mainly play WoW, and no AAA games such as fallout 4 or if I do I will be OK with medium settings.

I've heard that I can't OC with the B360. Is that true ? I never tried to OC but if it can be worth it in few years to boost this config it can be an option
    Last edited by mmoc3eddebb086; 2018-10-07 at 11:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is what I'm about to buy :

"pcpartpicker.com/list/DjbfD2" (I'm not allowed to post links)

Remember that I will mainly play WoW, and no AAA games such as fallout 4 or if I do I will be OK with medium settings.

I've heard that I can't OC with the B360. Is that true ? I never tried to OC but if it can be worth it in few years to boost this config it can be an option
    You don't need a cooler for an 8400, the stock will be fine.

With those specs you should be fine at 1080p for the comin years.

You can't OC on a B360, or a H370, you'll need a Z370 for that, but your CPU isn't unlocked so it can't OC anyway. If you want a chip that can OC, you'll need a K series chip, like the 8600k.

I'd also really suggest getting an SSD, even if it's just a 120GB one so you can have your OS on it.

Deleted
    Oh.. my bad I forgot to add the SDD on pcpartpicker.

If I decide to switch on a i5-8600, should I take an Z370 and the K series or stick with a B360 and the normal one ?

I mainly play WoW and I could be interested by streaming a bit.

I've also red that B360 only accept 2666 RAM ?

About the SSD, is the new M.2 format is worth a simple 2.5" ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh.. my bad I forgot to add the SDD on pcpartpicker.

If I decide to switch on a i5-8600, should I take an Z370 and the K series or stick with a B360 and the normal one ?

I mainly play WoW and I could be interested by streaming a bit.

I've also red that B360 only accept 2666 RAM ?

About the SSD, is the new M.2 format is worth a simple 2.5" ?
    You'd need an 8600k rather than an 8600 if you want to be able to OC. It's probably not worth the extra price at just 1080p. If you're looking to stream, upgrading to an 8700k might be an idea though, because streaming actually takes advantage of the extra cores, but it's quite a bit step-up in price (3-400 euro extra, according to PcPartPicker).

The B360 series of boards do max RAM speeds at 2666, but it's not really a big loss in FPS on Intel.

You can get M.2 drives that run the SATA protocol, or the NVMe protocol. The NVMe one is the faster (and more common), but you should be aware that you might be buying a SATA-speed drive. The format in itself doesn't offer any advantage to the standard 2.5" one (aside from looks), and all the benefit is in the protocol. NVMe drives are faster in benchmarks, and you might experience slightly faster boot times, but in games or most other applications, it's either not, or barely noticeable.

Deleted
    The 8700k is about 140€ more than the 8600k. Streaming would be only for fun and I think the 8700k is a little bit too much for what I need.

To summarize :
    B360 + 8600 + 2666 RAM
    vs
    Z370 + 8600K or 8700k + 3000 RAM

Is 8700k worth the 8600k, only speaking of playing WoW ?

Do you have a 240mo SSD to advice me ?

The 8700k is about 140€ more than the 8600k. Streaming would be only for fun and I think the 8700k is a little bit too much for what I need.
    You do not need an 8700K to stream. People on this forum will lead you to believe that you need like 12 dedicated threads for Streaming and if you arenn't streaming at 4k/60 youre somehow doing it wrong.

Truth of the matter is, if you're streaming at a resolution that is sane, you can stream with the iGPU in any Intel CPU with almost no CPU overhead. Its called Quicksync. It looks fine.

To summarize :
    B360 + 8600 + 2666 RAM
    Might as well get an H310 unless there is some feature on the B360 you need. I cant think of one, but maybe im missing something.

vs
    Z370 + 8600K or 8700k + 3000 RAM

Is 8700k worth the 8600k, only speaking of playing WoW ?
    No. Not remotely. Not even for 99% of other games. If you were doing other things that needed or could use the extra threads, sure, the 8700k is great. For a strictly gaming-and-daily-driving machine? 8600K is fine.

Do you have a 240mo SSD to advice me ?
    SanDisk, Team, or Crucial all have cheap options. Dont overspend. They all use the same NAND flash from the same 3 manufacturers and the same controllers. There's no real-world performance difference.

Dont bother with NVMe M.2 - there's no real performance difference for real-world and gaming uses. SATA-based M.2 is fine if you want to use the M.2 slot on your board and not have to have a 2.5" drive in your case. The extra cost of M.2 is simply not worth it for the average user.

Deleted
    If I buy a 8600k, I think that I should at least take a MOBO to potentially OC one day.. I think about the Asus Prime Z370-P.

I'll take 2x8Go in DDR4 3000Mhz from G.Skills Aegis.

SSD could be the Samsung 860 EVO 250Go 2.5"

EDIT: i7-8700 is cheaper than i5-8600k btw
    Last edited by mmoc3eddebb086; 2018-10-07 at 03:49 PM.