Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Why Dark Ranger will be the next class added to World of Warcraft.

• Of all the directions they could take Alleria's story, they decide to make her involved with The Void. And then she joins the Alliance. It's almost like they want to add Dark Ranger, but had no representative leader on the Alliance side... so they shoe-horned that in.
    • The Windrunner sisters are meeting amongst themselves regardless of faction allegiance. This can allow Blizzard to create a single starting area for both faction Dark Rangers, sanctuary-style, where both Alleria and Sylvanas train their Dark Ranger apprentices. This would be similar to the other hero class starting experiences.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Hunter order hall with the hidden quest.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Seething Shore by Nathanos.
    • We only have 2 mail classes right now.
    • We only have 1 class that uses Bows, Guns and Crossbows.
    • Dark Ranger is arguably the most requested remaining hero class from WC3 after Demon Hunter - which was a huge success.
    • Blizzard originally looked like they were going to add Dark Ranger style abilities to Marksmanship Hunter: 'Dark Ranger', 'Exotic Munitions' and other magical arrows for example - but were later removed. They also temporarily removed Arcane Shot on the BFA beta because I think they are intending to anyway because the Dark Ranger is currently in the works right now. I predict they will remove it in the next expansion after BFA when Dark Rangers are added, similar to how Demonology Warlocks were changed to give clear thematic room for the Demon Hunter (Meta).
    • I believe the interactions we'll have with Vol'jin (and I don't know anything about BFA content story wise yet) - to allow for a more troll-like Shadow Hunter themed spec. The other two will likely be themed around Sylvanas and Alleria. Possibly even a Warden, Shadow of Vengeance melee spec.
    • The lore events in Stormheim appear to be building up to a new round of Dark Rangers - possibly explaining how the other races could be inducted into the ranks.
    • The next expansion appears to very likely be Shadow or Old God themed, and we're getting hints the LK may return. If Legion was BC 2.0, the next expansion after BFA might be Wrath 2.0.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2018-06-12 at 05:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    If going by the teases/easter eggs that Blizzard is always fond of foreshadowing, yes, you may be on to it.

However,

NO. MORE. DARK. hero CLASSES.

Also, much like death knights, don't you have to die and be risen in order to be a dark ranger? Of all the crossover between the 2 classes, this seems like the biggest.
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2018-06-12 at 05:26 PM.

That sound far more like a new Hunter Spec than an entirely new class...

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    If going by the teases/easter eggs that Blizzard is always fond of foreshadowing, yes, you may be on to it.

However,

NO. MORE. DARK. hero CLASSES.

Also, much like death knights, don't you have to die and be risen in order to be a dark ranger? Of all the crossover between the 2 classes, this seems like the biggest.
    Yeah beacuse today's generation is totally into holy knights in shining armour. They gotta appeal to the youngsters somehow.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Yeah beacuse today's generation is totally into holy knights in shining armour. They gotta appeal to the youngsters somehow.
    Doesn't have to be a Holy Light based class.

I mean something that isn't dark themed, brooding, lore based on tragedy and violence. Death knights and demon hunters are great additions, but why not add a new hero class that isn't the same formula?

Jesus christ I hope not. I'm so sick of edgelord hero classes. We have three now (and one spec) out of twelve classes that are primarily focused around using evil forces. Can we just have a class that isn't dark/shadow themed? Sure there was monk, but that's one out of three new classes that have had this theme.

If Dark Ranger actually becomes a new class, I'm going to slam my face into the nearest cement wall. Demon Hunters had enough teenage angst for ten classes, let alone one.

Would be nice to have a new physical ranged DPS which we only have 1 of by now. They could do this with tinkers to which I would rather see, kinda tired of edgelord classes that ruin other specs while they turn out so bland and unfinished (hello demon hunters).

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA is WoTLK 2.0.

Watch.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Deleted
    Nah the only thematically distinct class to do is Tinker.

I think the OP has some pretty solid reasons. Nice Dark Ranger could be fun. It might also let the MM Hunter finally get their pet back since the Dark Ranger would be the "I don't want a pet" version.

10+ Year Old Account
    As lame as it is I also wouldn't be surprised.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Except... classes only come with major expansions. Which is going to happen ~2 years from now at least. When nobody will remember/care about everything you listed. So it kind of "proves" nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, I'd rather just see that as a specc 4 of Hunter.

Rather see some bard, runemaster, tinker etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Ugh, I'd rather just see that as a specc 4 of Hunter.

Rather see some bard, runemaster, tinker etc.
    I would rather see a Bard or Tinker myself, I'm only putting these points forward because I think it's what they are going to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gonnamilkyou View Post
    Except... classes only come with major expansions. Which is going to happen ~2 years from now at least. When nobody will remember/care about everything you listed. So it kind of "proves" nothing.
    They are seeding these things now for future use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I would rather see a Bard or Tinker myself, I'm only putting these points forward because I think it's what they are going to do.
    I know, mate. Just getting a little dulled by the overrun feel of the DH - even feeling wasted from when DK's overran the servers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    Warcraft 3 classes are only representative of one part of a WoW playable class. Look at Death Knights being more than fallen Human Paladins raised by the Lich King; they've expanded to generic champions of the Alliance and Horde. Look at Monks who are freshly trained by Pandarens.

The Dark Ranger in WC3 just happens to be a Sylvanas-like Undead Elf. It doesn't necessarily mean the WoW playable class has to be undead or has to have the same origin as Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers. They could simply be magic-using versions of Hunters, not necessarily all dark magic either despite their name. We have archetype exceptions as a part of all classes, like the archetypical Holy-only Priest (even Shadow Priests in War3 only had healing magic) having Shadow powers in WoW.

That being said, I think Tinker still has a higher chance. Azerite Warmachines feels like just the beginning for what could be at intro for Tinkers.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2018-06-12 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

No new classes, only new specs.

Dark Ranger could be a hunter spec, like Demon Hunter imo should of been a warlock spec.

I'm annoyed that as far as class design goes BFA hasn't added much to any classes, if felt like with Legion they were really trying to give the players what they wanted after the fuckfest that was WoD. Now they've got us happy again, they're barely adding anything meaningful to the classes, it's like they've never learned the lesson of previous expansions and are continuing to forget history.

They dont sound all that different from the existing hunters, unless they make them something similar to Sylvanas in HOTS or the demon hunter class in Diablo 3

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger should replace Surv for Hunter.
    Then, make BM a melee spec because it only makes sense that BMs would get in the mix with their pets and fight melee, all scratching and clawing with melee weapons alongside their companions.
    Like, Survival doesn't sound to me like running face first into a throng of enemies, but rather the opposite (attack from afar, use tricks/traps to get away), or, you know, to survive...
    DR can be the new SV spec, complete with all the magic-y attacks, while MM remains the true phys damage archer spec and BM the "go tear shit up with my wolf in melee and do phys/nature damage and junk" spec.

Making a whole 2-3 spec class for DR would be, well, boring, because it's really shoe-horned into one theme.
    Making a healer or tank version would feel forced and having a true ranged dps that doesn't differ much from hunter would feel sloppy.
    DR can even use shadowy style pets infused with dark magics (think priest shadow form).
    That would be fun.

But anywho, TL;DR - I'd like DR as a spec.

Deleted
    Come on man how are you going to give Dark Ranger 3 specs, or even 2. And how would it be different than Hunter? It just won't work. At most They could add 4th spec for Hunter. Hero spec or whatever. I would be fine with that. But otherwise it's impossible to make Dark Ranger class when you have Hunter and Death Knight already. If you check Dark Ranger skills from W3 and Sylvanas skills from HotS there is not enough material to make original 2 specs out of it. It won't happen, sorry.